How long to bake a GPU and or cookies. mmmmmm cookies

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
So my little brother Mr. A has recently had his 8500 GT die on him and wants to try baking it as a last resort thanks to inspiration from Lynx. He isn't sure how long or at what temperature to do this and I ask for anyone with experience to please provide this information. I suggested going off the directions on a frozen pizza box but it was decided that asking from knowledgeable people might be a better idea although I'm sure slightly less tasty. Alas, I would appreciate your opinions. :D

Comments

• Mr-AMr-A San Diego
    edited March 2010
    All I wanted to do is play some Team Fortress, but i guess 130 hours in 2 weeks of Team fortress is too much on my card. I've had the problem before, whenever I launch Tf2 i get weird purple lines all over my screen, and my computer pretty much freezes, im forced to reboot, where i get a bsod telling me something happened to nvlddmkm, I've tried rolling back drivers, and the newest drivers. Any other help would be awesome.
    edit: last time the problem randomly fixed itself, no idea how
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    The method that I used, to some success with my old 8400 was the following.

1) Remove heat sink, clean compound off with rubbing alcohol.
    2) Heat oven to 380 deg F
    3) crumple up some aluminum foil into balls, flatten them a bit, rest all 4 corners of the card on a tin foil ball on a (clean) baking sheet so that the card is elevated about 1/4" or so off the sheet.
    4) Bake in heated oven for about 30 minutes. It will produce an interesting smell, that's normal.
    5) Take it out, leave it on the foil balls on the baking sheet, let it cool (preferably overnight)
    6) Apply new thermal compound and remount the heat sink. Make sure to plug the fan in. Reinstall the baked card and hope it works.

This is just the process I used. I by no means claim that it's the best or only way to do things. Different people have used different temps and baking and cooling times.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    3) crumple up some aluminum foil into balls, flatten them a bit, rest all 4 corners of the card on a tin foil ball on a (clean) baking sheet so that the card is elevated about 1/4" or so off the sheet.
    4) Bake in heated oven for about 30 minutes. It will produce an interesting smell, that's normal.

So I guess that means no cookies. Damn.

Also, I like "It will produce an interesting smell, that's normal." ;D
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2010
    This is the one I used on my 9600gso. Like ardichoke mentioned in his dis-claimer, this was the method I used, ymmv.

If your card works, please don't use it as an opportunity to dump it on the next guy.

1: remove heatsink and thermal paste
    2: preheat oven to 385F to 400F( NO HIGHER!) ( gas mark 6)
    3: lay foil over the oven rack
    4: make 4 balls of foil, about 4cm high,
    5: when the oven is heated to its correct temperature, put the graphics card on the 4 balls, one on each corner )
    6: leave for around 6-10 mins, NO MORE THAN 12 OR IT WILL MELT
    7: ENJOY!!! head_bang.gif

Some folks have baked laptops and mobos with mixed success.

Thread--http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658

Yes it does produce an interesting smell. I wouldn't put dinner in to cook while the oven is preheated.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    10 minutes at 380F.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2010