No Half-Life 2 Episode 3 in 2010

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I had hoped to be playing Ep 3 by the end of 2010... This is pretty discouraging news.

The wait wouldn't be so painful if Valve just straight-up gave us an expected release date, month, or even year, that they could finish it by. If they know in advance that they won't make it, then they can tell us right away and push the date back. I don't want them to force a hard deadline on themselves, just keep us posted on the progress!!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Valve has learned a lesson by the severity of the reaction from gamers when they've missed past deadlines; they'd probably consider themselves insane to announce any kind of date now. ;)
  • edited February 2010
    Valve is really pissing me off with this... In my opinion, they put to much on the at once... Portal 2, CS:S 2, TF Updates, L4D2 Updates, and Episode 3...

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Valve certainly has a lot going on, and they don't have any immediate plans for company expansion, (that we know of, anyways.) So they'll remain spread thin over their many projects.

But CS:S is dead. So is Day of Defeat, and the original L4D. Perhaps saying L4D is dead is a long shot, but Valve stopped putting real time into CS:S years ago.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    And why should they? The CSTards are totally happy with their microcosm.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    1.6 FOREVER!!11!!!!
    edited February 2010
    man, I went from two years of CS:S back to 1.6 in 2006 when my GPU died, and my replacement was a weaksauce Geforce 2 MX. I was surprised when I went back, I had forgotten how dang good 1.6 was.

But I'm no elitist, I play CS:S over it when I can.
  • edited March 2010
    Apparently CS:S 2 is going to be "The better half of valve's real time gaming".

lets see it beat what's already there :/
  • edited March 2010
    Who gives a damn what valve does.. as far for Left 4 Dead series is desperate attempt to keep people in there with an idea they release something while fail to deliver anything proper since 2004.

I'd say when this comes out don't even buy it just for get back a bit.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    0/10 - F--: Would not be trolled again.
  • edited March 2010
    I actually thought that they where all good. :P

and i will buy it believe me...
  • edited March 2010
    Ya kno that valve is gona b workn on portal 2 now that they announced it...
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    How insightful. I thought they might start on L4D3 or Counterstrike 2 after they announced Portal 2. Thank you though.
  • edited March 2010
    If u ask me.. they tryin way too hard on left for dead 1,2& now 3!! Coming out with portal 2 sometime this year.. BUT WHERE IS episode 3?!?! They bein such a tease! Give us our game.. i jus rebeat all of orange box and i CANNOT wait till new one comes! :) so excited!

--EJ
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    -_-

Some people just don't undestand sarcasm...
  • edited March 2010
    L4D 3.... wow....
  • edited April 2010
    There will not be an Episode 3. The episodic type release is dead. Ask Sin. Valve would rather work on mickey mouse games like L4D. Freeman no more.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    There will not be an Episode 3. The episodic type release is dead. Ask Sin. Valve would rather work on mickey mouse games like L4D. Freeman no more.

Thanks for your opinion.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Half life is what got them started it is there flagship game. They will not let it go but they will not release a game that is not great.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010

Oh, there will be more Half Life, don't you worry, and when it happens, fanboy's (like me) will wet their pants....

I have faith.
    edited April 2010
    Sin sold approximately 30 copies (numbers may be exaggerated to help support point).

Seriously, Sin didn't sell, Sin didn't continue. The Half-Life games have no such issue. Episode 3 would never be canceled, as it would Doom Valve.

And they know that.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited April 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Sin sold approximately 30 copies (numbers may be exaggerated to help support point).

Seriously, Sin didn't sell, Sin didn't continue. The Half-Life games have no such issue. Episode 3 would never be canceled, as it would Doom Valve.

And they know that.

I don't know if it would doom them, but it certainly wouldn't help.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    omg random internet know-it-all says hl ep 3 wont get made PANIC DIGG DIGG DIGG
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    HL 2: Episode 3 = Duke Nukem Forever !!!!

ZOMG IT"S TRUE!!111!!1 I SEENS IT ON INTARWIBBSS
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited April 2010
    Maybe if it never saw the light of day it would be for the better. I'm not sure if Valve knows where it's going with the story, or if they have one.

There, I said it.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited April 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Maybe if it never saw the light of day it would be for the better. I'm not sure if Valve knows where it's going with the story, or if they have one.

There, I said it.
    As much as I hate to do so, I have to agree with this a little. It's seemed (to me) that Half Life 2, in retrospect, is a bit out there. It doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense when thought about.

That said, in a way I don't want them to rush it but at the same time I really want to play Ep 3. I'm starting to get a bit bored of waiting for Ep 3 and the continuation of the series.

However, Portal 2 and L4D 1+2 DLC in the mean time. Awesome :D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    As much as I'm excited for Ep 3, I don't want it unless it's running on a new game engine, which should not be rushed. "Valve time" can be irritating, but they've never released a product I was disappointed with.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited April 2010
    There's nothing wrong with Source, though, especially the Orange Box version.
    Episode 3, if there has to be a final Source game, should be the one to end the engine's life, and then Half-Life 3 appearing on the next.
    edited April 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:

There, I said it.

Here you go trying this one again. Not satisfied with the results of the troll last time?

Have you actually played all of the HL2 games? The story is fine. The games wouldn't have gotten so much critical acclaim while having a weak/confusing/nonexistant storyline.

InB4 "but AVATAR had a crummy story and it was considered a masterpiece because of the technology prololol"

No. Misplaced acclaim for the technology might have been at the core of Half-Life 2, but not with Episode 1, and certainly not with Episode 2. Three years after the initial release, that engine was doing nothing new at that point.
  • edited April 2010
    Half-Life has one of the best story lines I know.

and yes they do have a story...

I'll dig up the link to the video later, but in the video he states "We do have a story, and we are working on the next game of the series." The interviewer ask: "What will it be called?" He replies with "I can't tell you."

*Interview closes*

Then they talk about L42D...

and yes... He mentions Portal 2, along with Counter Strike 2. sooo no telling...