Nvidia GTX 480 & GTX 470 Announced

13»

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I can honestly say his numbers are off for availability... by about 20,000ish.
    edited April 2010
    Card went up for sale on newegg.com today and sold out in 5 minutes. Who knows how many cards they had, but they went fast.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Card went up for sale on newegg.com today and sold out in 5 minutes. Who knows how many cards they had, but they went fast.

I'm shocked!!

Macaulay-Culkin-5393890.jpg
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2010
    Responding to original topic, not above posts -

I had a look at some comparison numbers for the GTX 480 against the Radeon HD 5870 and 5970 (I considered the 480 vs 5870 to be the fair comparison as it is single GPU vs single GPU). Honestly, nvidia's new high end doesn't impress me much - it edges the 5870 here and there, but the same can be said about the 5870 with respect to the 480. Up to this point, the ball's in either court - then I ran across power consumption numbers, and my jaw dropped. The GTX 480 consumes more than double the power the HD 5870 does. I know ATI typically produces "greener" parts, but the difference this time is enormous even by past standards. I'm very glad I went with HD 5850s in my PC - if I wanted to go with even two GTX 470s, I'd probably have to upgrade my PSU to 1200w (from 1000w!).
    edited April 2010
    2 GTX 470's will run on a 850 watt PSU & 2 GTX 480's will run on a 1000 watt PSU
  • edited April 2010
    2 GTX 470's will run on a 850 watt PSU & 2 GTX 480's will run on a 1000 watt PSU

And how about 4-way SLI?
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited April 2010
    I have 2 EVGA GTX 480 SC's coming Tuesday! Ill let ya know how it goes!
  • edited April 2010
    Truth be said, Charlie from semiaccurate got it right this time (surprise, surprise). Nvidia lost this round of GPU wars. Their troubles started when the GT300 design failed to become a marketable product (too low yields), despite numerous efforts to fix it. Many $$$ and time were lost there. But the bigger problem was that, with the GT300 essentially dead, they had to start from scratch. The solution was to drag their Tesla architecture to the gaming market despite it's own will.

So yeah Nvidia is having problems. I personally think Nvidia is suffering from the "prescott effect". Hot and unmanufacturable chips. Their current designs are kind of messed up, and evolving them has become a royal pain. They need to forget the old design and start with something trully new (like Intel did with the Core which isn't related to the P4/netburst, but the much older P3). Probably that's why they cut R&D on the Fermi architecture.

Nvidia is planning on something new, they just don't tell us in order to keep demand for the GTX 480. However, the GTX 480 is a dead end, so they really need to start over...