Please Help! I just Got a Virus and I can't Get Rid of It :((

edited May 2010 in Science & Tech
I just got infected with some fake anti-virus program called Vista Defender Pro. It won't let me run any ant-virus software..I have Malwarebytes and AVG.

I keep getting pop ups, it rarely lets me open my browser. I'm panicking lol!

I am running Vista Home Premium if that makes a difference in the removal process.

Please help!:eek3:

Edit: Oh god I don't know what this thing did but NOTHING is working!

Every time I try to start any kind of program I get an error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association in the Set Association control panel"

I tried removing Malwarebytes and reinstalling, but I get the same error when running the setup.

And No program will open...not even TaskManager anymore:eek3:

I was able to run AVG as administrator but its not finding anything. I reinstalled Malwarebytes but I need to reboot,I'm afraid to though. Who knows what this virus will do on a reboot and I won't be able to open anything I currently have open.

Update: AVG found NOTHING!!

Please please someone help me.!!!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I'm sorry for all the posts, just trying to keep updates on the situation.

When trying to run Malwarebytes, I get runtime errors..'0' and '440'. Would running this in safemode work?

The reason I keep mentioning Malwarebytes is because most sites that give instructions on how to get rid of this thing recommend Malwarebytes.

Anyway, again I'm sorry for the posts and edits, and you guys are busy..just trying to keep you informed and hope someone will get to me soon :)

Thank you.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Mismis wrote:

When trying to run Malwarebytes, I get runtime errors..'0' and '440'. Would running this in safemode work?

The reason I keep mentioning Malwarebytes is because most sites that give instructions on how to get rid of this thing recommend Malwarebytes.

Anyway, again I'm sorry for the posts and edits, and you guys are busy..just trying to keep you informed and hope someone will get to me soon :)

Thank you.

Rename the malwarebytes file a different name like test.exe and run it. It will stop crashing since the crap is looking for malwarebytes in order to crash it. Done it a few times and it has always worked fine.

After it runs you can rename it back to original.

Hope it helps
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited May 2010
    Mismis wrote:

Thank you.

You could try it in safe mode. These programmes have memory resident parts that monitor what processes you have running. In safe mode the memory resident does not load on boot so MBAM can check the registry and clear out the spyware.

However, I would strongly recomend that you post a hijack this log in in the soyware section. These infections often take advantage of browser redirection and mess up internet explorer. MBAM woulnt fix this.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    RichD wrote:
    a hijack this log in in the soyware section.

:bigggrin:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soyware

"Don't download that, that's soyware - you'll never get the smell out."

:thumbup