Crytek demos Crysis 2 on CryEngine 3 at GDC

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Remember the first time you saw the G-Man's facial animations in Half Life 2 and you went "HOLY SHIT!"

Well, HOLY SHIT TIMES TEN!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The facial animation was pretty solid, and color mapping through different exterior light levels was a nice touch. Everything else... either I didn't see it because of the non-native nature (recording of a recording, etc), or I was generally saddened by it (bouncy, unrealistic physics).

Still, keep it going, Crytek.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The first time Gman spoke in the first video they released, I crapped bricks. I STILL think Source has some of the best lip syncing out there, but the faces fail to capture some more intense expression, like Yelling.

Crytek's facial animation is collectively incredible, and even that little bit in the video made me drool.

Snark, I'd agree with you, but I really want to see an HD feed of the videos. The thing about a lot of these techniques is that they impress via the details, which are lost in a video like this.

Though I really did like the 'hit reactions' bit. Reminds me of Euphoria, which was in GTA IV. I'm excited to see how Crysis does with that tech.

And yes, color correction looked positively beautiful.
  • DT
    edited March 2010
    UPSLynx, that is what the hit reactions made me think of as well. I love Euphoria and it will be cool to see another engine that can match, or even come close to, it.

I will have lots of fun with the CryEngine 3 sandbox editor. The editor is the only reason why I still play Crysis and I've been having all sorts of mod ideas that involve cities (which aren't supported all that well in CE2).

Can't wait.
  • edited April 2010
    Of course it's good. I wrote the engine and did most of the artwork. Then that guy at Crysis stole it off my servers and is acting like it's his!!!!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    lolwut
    edited April 2010
    wat.
    edited April 2010
    If you delivered proof, it would be so epic.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited May 2010
    Wait... Wait...
    Crytek learned to code? Still not perfect (such as that rock hitting the car and then the car bouncing back up. Surely it should have gone a bit flatter? :P), but possibly better.
    We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.