If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Alabama governor commercial

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    Tim wrote:
    There is some truth in those 2 ads........

There is no truth in those ads by Glenn Miller nor in Tim James. It's only fear, lies, race-baiting, ignorance, and stupidity. In fact, Factcheck has already started taking apart Tim James's argument:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/apr/29/tim-james/alabamas-tim-james-says-government-report-backs-hi/

As for Glenn Miller, his facts are ALL wrong from the very beginning...75% of this country is still white, NOT less than 50%. And to be honest if a Republican says something, it's probably going to be untrue in my experience...which explains why a core Republican group, the US Military is silently, but swiftly leaving their former party of choice:

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/04/military_poll_advance_041110w/

Do you know that an accelerated path to citizenship is to serve as an Enlisted member of our Armed Forces? Which means that there are citizens in the US Military of all races, creeds, and religions as well as NON-CITIZENS defending and dying to protect the rights of racist idiots to spew their scape-goating racism.

As for me, I'm happy to let immigrants in. My forefathers were immigrants. They are the strength and vitality of this country. The truth is no one is going to be able to stop the continuing trend towards a more multicultural America. In fact, I'm happy to let America become more grey, brown, black, yellow, red, green, and pink...besides I REALLY find Hispanic women to be HAWT!:rockon::rarr:
  • edited Apr 2010
    Tim, I'd recommend taking a good, long look in the mirror and asking yourself "Am I really okay with being this cripplingly xenophobic?"
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    Tim wrote:
    There is some truth in those 2 ads........

What truth is there to said ads. Other than I do like filling my check book with money? But I'm pretty sure that is multicultural.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    Can we just abide Tim in his trolling campaign and ban him? That is, after all, the deepest desire of most trolls, right?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    Can we just abide Tim in his trolling campaign and ban him? That is, after all, the deepest desire of most trolls, right?

After reviewing his Starcraft thread I 2nd this motion.

No fog of war...are you insane?
    edited May 2010

We will not give into the trolls(terrorists) demands.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Preacher wrote:
    And to be honest if a politician says something, it's probably going to be untrue in my experience...
    Fixt
  • mas0nmas0n dallas Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I don't visit the forums for 2 days and this is the thread I miss.

*sigh*
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    hillbilly.jpg

WUT? WUT? WUT?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm not a troll.... I'm Loudmouthtim! (see signature). There's a difference. I'm Republican for the most part, and I can free my mind to think differently on certain issues if I want to, and the older I get, the more I realize that I am a traditional, old school type of person.

I put this in the General Banter section, and it wasn't me who said it in the first place, I just said I agreed with the governor candidate's commercial.

For those of you who don't know, I grew up in small town nowhere, near Pittsburgh, PA.

Now I live out in Los Angeles, and it's quite a different area, as far as what percentage of people are from different countries. And I see how things are different, how some people here can't even speak English. I see 20-30 illegal Mexicans standing at the parking lot entrances to Home Depot, and they will stay there from sunrise to around 2-3 pm every day looking for work.

Then they get the work instead of American citizens, and LA wonders why it has a 12.6% unemployment rate. I know why!

If I went to Korea or China or Mexico, I would not expect to see all the signs written in English, and I would not expect to find many people who knew English. I would expect that I would have to learn to speak, read, and write THEIR LANGUAGE to get along well in THEIR COUNTRY.

So why does everyone seem to think it should be totally opposite of that here in the USA?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Tim wrote:

If I went to Korea or China or Mexico, I would not expect to see all the signs written in English, and I would not expect to find many people who knew English. I would expect that I would have to learn to speak, read, and write THEIR LANGUAGE to get along well in THEIR COUNTRY.

Then you are an exception. The thing that people in other countries hate most about Americans in their country is that they expect everything to cater to them.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited May 2010
    CB wrote:
    Then you are an exception. The thing that people in other countries hate most about Americans in their country is that they expect everything to cater to them.

You are speaking of those who can afford to travel. Of coarse they expect to be catered to. Those who can not afford to travel have a different attitude. You can see this contrast within the states, no need to go else where with a different language.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Tim wrote:
    ... Los Angeles ...

I'm trying very hard to not get involved in this thread...

That said, as someone who grew up in Los Angeles and now lives in San Diego, I can say you've still got a lot to learn about the area. You come off very much as a transplant to Southern California would, and you're embarrassing yourself.

Try to get a better idea of the pulse of the metropolis you live in before you open your mouth, rather than shooting from the hip after bumping into someone with a different skin color as you.
    edited May 2010
    NiGHTS wrote:
    after bumping into someone with a different skin color as you.
    I see this thread will shift in to being racist now. That has nothing to do with learning a language or passing a driving test.

In my opinion this thread should be locked because the whole conversation has been off topic. The whole thread has been based on one comment from the original post. Is everyone so narrow minded that the rest of the post can not be seen once that one comment has been read.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Please enlighten us, oh great open minded man of Icrontic.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Is everyone so narrow minded that the rest of the post can not be seen once that one comment has been read.

No, I would just rather respond to him than to you, being that he's the OP and has expanded further on his thoughts - apologies for being so "narrow minded".:rolleyes:
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    First the Native Americans needed to be civilized.

Then the African Americans.

Then the Asians Americans were plotting to destroy the country.

Oh, can't forget that the Jews, Irish and Italians were destroying this country.

When are you ignorant half-wits going to get over the fact that immigration happens and discriminating against someone because they're different isn't going to stop that. It won't help the situation. It will only make things worse. You make me sick Tim. Up until now, I've generally just ignored most of your trollish, ill-informed and generally narrow minded comments. This has crossed the line into making me physically ill at your pure bred ignorance and racism. I wish there was a way to hide all posts from a user, I would be making use of it right now.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Tim, do you really think changing a drivers licence exam to only English is about correcting the problems that stem from the cheap exploitable illegal labor pool?

As the son of a union steel worker, this is an issue that I am passionate about.

If this guy wanted to do something about that he would suggest a bill that prosecutes people that hire undocumented workers in order to exploit them for cheap, benefit free labor. Don't blame the guy hopping the border who can't find better work in Mexico, blame the jerks who abuse them by paying them a pittance, and hiding it from the government so they don't have to provide them with any employer benefits. Guy gets hut at work, no big deal, he can't say anything or he gets sent back south.

Thats the real crime Tim, its the demand that these businesses create for cheap exploitable labor, thats the reason they come north because as bad as it is, its better than no work.

Now, if I were a politician and I actually wanted to do something about the issue I would introduce a bill that gets tough on people that hire illegals. See, that kind of thinking does not resonate with Joe Redneck at the polls, their attitude, is learn English Jose! Its just designed to flame the passions of the ignorant.

I'm not suggesting that there is not an issue pertaining to illegal immigration, what I am saying is that his proposal will do absolutely nothing to make things better, and he is smart enough that he knows that, its all politics Tim...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    My dad also put 30 years in the local steel mill, so I'm sure I've seen and heard the same general things, although he is far more of a democrat than I ever was.

I don't have too much of a problem with immigrants, it's when they come here and expect US to change for THEM because THEY don't want to learn english, they want us to change to be "sensitive" to their culture, etc.

They can have all the "culture" they want.... in Mexico.

15 years ago, I could walk into any supermarket or department store and look at any box label and see only one language. English. Now sometimes I have to turn the box around to see the side that is printed in english. Things like that really get on my nerves.

I like the idea of companies being fined thousands of dollars per person when they get caught employing illegals, but in some industries, like the farmlands here in the southern california area, the farm owners won't pay Americans enough to do the work, so employing illegals is the only practical option for them, and I think they pay off the politicians enough to leave them alone.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    You are a terrible person.
    edited May 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    You are a terrible person.

That is putting it lightly, imho.
    edited May 2010
    Tim wrote:
    15 years ago, I could walk into any supermarket or department store and look at any box label and see only one language. English. Now sometimes I have to turn the box around to see the side that is printed in english. Things like that really get on my nerves.

I don't know what stores you went to 15 years ago but I remember seeing quite a few things with English and Spanish on them. Every instruction manual I ever read for anything had an English, Spanish and French section too. I don't see how something that has been fairly standard since the 80s could possibly get on your nerves now.
    I'd also like to point out that if you go to any western country in the world, and many eastern countries, English is printed alongside the native language, and if it isn't there is probably a choice to read it in English.
    Tim wrote:
    ...but in some industries owners won't pay Americans enough to do the work, so employing illegals is the only practical option for them

No employing illegal immigrants is not the only practical option. They're employing illegal immigrants because they are to cheap to pay a citizen the due minimum wage. Why pay 8 or 9 an hour plus benefits when you can pay 5. They are being businessmen of the worst kind.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    No employing illegal immigrants is not the only practical option. They're employing illegal immigrants because they are to cheap to pay a citizen the due minimum wage. Why pay 8 or 9 an hour plus benefits when you can pay 5. They are being businessmen of the worst kind.
    Laissez-faire at its finest. Can't get any more American than that.
    edited May 2010
    Tim wrote:

I don't have too much of a problem with immigrants, it's when they come here and expect US to change for THEM because THEY don't want to learn english, they want us to change to be "sensitive" to their culture, etc.

They can have all the "culture" they want.... in Mexico.

I don't see how it's possible to be accepting of immigrants while at the same time preferring they completely abandon their culture and assimilate. Also, the cross-fertilization of cultures and languages is both inevitable and totally rad, historically speaking.

P.S. you moved to California. What exactly were you expecting?
    edited May 2010
    Furthermore, what do you think American culture is? It's a blend of many different cultures. It's also one of the youngest cultures on the planet and as such is prone to change. Face it tim, you're not a native of this country. You are a descendant of immigrants and your culture was just as foreign to native Americans back then as Hispanic's culture is to you today. You have no more right to force your culture on them than they do to force yours on you. This country was founded as a free civilization where people could practice their own cultures, speak freely, etc. You have no right to tell anyone else when and where they can practice their culture.
    edited May 2010
    I don't have a problem with working immigrants. What I do have a problem with is paying the immigrants less because they are immigrants. If you want them to learn English and be your equal then pay them the same. What is so difficult in seeing them as a neighbor instead of an immigrant. People are people and I don't understand the borders and green cards. It's simple you should be allowed to live where you want as long as you obey the laws of the land you choose to live in. However that is not the way it works because people are so paranoid of others.
    edited May 2010
    I say let anyone live and work here, but require a nationalization process for the rights to vote, own a business with employees, or own real estate. Then shift resources to payroll tax enforcement and everyone wins.
    edited May 2010
    mas0n wrote:
    a nationalization process

Yes and one that doesn't take 20 years to complete.
    edited May 2010
    I absolutely agree clifford, I'd also like to see these race-baiting politicians forced to go through the naturalization process just so they understand the bullshit we are putting people through.
  • edited May 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    you are a terrible person.

And a very merciless one at that :D (just kidding!)