If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

A look at Firefox 4: what Mozilla plans for the next big version

ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind DroneAustin, TX Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited May 2010
    That feature that tells you exactly how much RAM/CPU an extension is using is prime, I've been wanting something like that for a while.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Looking forward to what the web is going to be offering over the next year or so.

Hardware-accelerated rendering (2d)
    Hardware-accelerated flash
    Non-flash interaction and video
    etc

The static pipes sound like a really cool setup, but I can imagine they have the potential to be utter nightmares for server-side people if things aren't managed perfectly.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Firefox definitely needs a performance boost. That's really all I care about. I tried to switch to Chrome but it just can't handle AJAX very well.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Will the 64 bit version support 32 bit plug-ins?
    (Still no 64 bit flash for windows)
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    No specifics were mentioned in the presentation, but we can assume that the 64-bit build of Firefox will support 32-bit plugins. It'd be pretty useless to users if it didn't.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    64-bit builds of Firefox in Linux have taken advantage of 32-bit Flash plugins for a while - I imagine they've figured a fair bit of it out. :)

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of moving to the Chrome UI paradigm of tabs above all else, but I'll give it a shot, at least. Here's hoping it's much faster and a bit more stable... my install has been prone to crashes of late.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Its looking good, but if it isn't close to being as fast as chrome (hopefully its faster), then I most likely wont use it.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    If its RAM usage is better, I will be elated.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'd settle for being able to edit my bookmarks on a Mac without opening the bloody Bookmark Manager :rolleyes:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    ^Seconded. Mac needs the ability to right click on a book mark, that drives me a little nuts.

FF4 so far looks like good and will keep me cemented in Fire Fox as my main. I keep trying Chrome with each build and just don't like it. The speed gain is so insignificant the rest of the stuff I don't like is.
  • edited May 2010
    When I first upgraded to Firefox 3.0 from the previous version, its noticeably better performance and less memory usage was a very pleasant surprise. Firefox 3.5 has been an insignificant upgrade compared to 3.0, but it is a minor revision anyway. If 4.0 can repeat the what 3.0 did, I will be more than happy. I have been using Firefox 3.5 on more than 5 computers with Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu with 100% stability. I am so content that I have not tried any other browser. IE8 does not count as a browser.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    For any of you guys seeing Firefox perform significantly worse than Chrome: Have you tried creating a new profile for Firefox?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/managing+profiles

That seems to help a lot of people, who are basically doing that by switching browsers. Having a years-old Fx profile versus a brand new Chrome install always puts Fx at a disadvantage in comparison.

There's been craploads of effort put into memory use reduction and performance increases, even on Fx 3.6. Chrome is actually more of a memory hog than Fx these days, sometimes by an order of magnitude.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Not sure what you guys mean about the bookmark management, though... right-clicking in Mac menus? Does that work in Windows or something?