Everything you need to know about Android 2.2 (FroYo)

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Nice article. I am still carrying an HTC dream around. So hopefully cyanogen is able to get 2.2 running on it. Already running 2.1.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I don't doubt that XDA-Devs will be working overtime to jam 2.2 onto older handsets, especially with an official implementation of Apps2SD in tow. Hell, Android 2.2's wildcrazy speed boosts are reason enough to put that puppy on any Android phone within arm's reach.

We'll be running articles on doing just that for the major phones (Moment, Hero, G1, etc.) when that process is mature.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, even if the OEMs don't put together official ROMs, the hacking community will be all over it.

Some of the SDX people have been running JIT installs on the current crop of Moment 2.1 ROMs for some pretty impressive speed gains. Though the speed has been at the expense of stability. Things are getting better pretty quickly, though.
  • edited May 2010
    I wish people would caveat the Android Police report. Linpack is a terrible, terrible benchmark.

It's a tight loop of calculations that's ideal for JIT. Real-world performance right now with the JIT that's been in Eclair runs about 1.5x faster.

I'd expect an average of 2.5X faster with an optimized JIT.

450% is creating expectations that will blow up in someone's face. Remember, readers aren't technical enough to know linpack's failure as a benchmark.

Cyanogen and Koush have both posted in the Cyanogen forums cautioning people using linpack and suggesting the development of a real-world benchmark.
  • edited May 2010
    @Zanshin- great point. Even so, 2.5X faster is still awesome. Especially on snapdragons!
  • edited May 2010
    Let's not forget that the Nexus One also has a FM transmitter. How about enabling that feature?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'll take a 100% improvement on my Motorola Cliq... Of course I'm STILL waiting on Android 2.1. :(
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Hooty, 2.2 should also bring with it native support for FM radio hardware in devices that have it now. HTC implemented their own solution on the Desire, but 2.2 will give that ability to all Android devices, regardless of OEM or Android implementation.
  • jon
    edited May 2010
    Will it have divx?
  • edited May 2010
    Will it run Crysis?
  • edited May 2010
    Loving the Android POV. I have not got an Android Phone yet but I am highly tempted to get one now.

I currently have an Iphone 3GS and I hate that Flash is not supported. I was thinking about the Ipad but with no Flash, it's a no go zone.
  • edited May 2010
    As a new Motorola Droid user who is still wowed by what it can do, I am happily waiting for this firmware upgrade. Love getting wowed!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Drooool...
  • melevinmelevin Angelus Oaks Ca.
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    I don't doubt that XDA-Devs will be working overtime to jam 2.2 onto older handsets, especially with an official implementation of Apps2SD in tow. Hell, Android 2.2's wildcrazy speed boosts are reason enough to put that puppy on any Android phone within arm's reach.

We'll be running articles on doing just that for the major phones (Moment, Hero, G1, etc.) when that process is mature.

Quote :
    From - Top Gun movie; I feel the need for speed.
    Go Froyo on the G1.
    Mel