The best way to play every episode of Final Fantasy

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Very wonderful guide on the games. Yes, the Final Fantasy series has been a huge part of gaming history. Yet I haven't played a game to completion in my life, I can still respect the series.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Now I see why this guide has been in the works for so long here at Icrontic. Marvelous job, gentlemen!

I could go on and on, half of it full of interesting thoughts and introspection... and the other half pure fanwank. I'll spare it all, but overall I think you hit most of the main notes and have shown great amounts of knowledge and research.

One thing I will point out, though, is there are still a few more options that gamers can take when playing some of the older games that for a while were Japan-only. For example, there was a fan-translated SNES ROM for the original Japanese Final Fantasy V that I played. Similarly, I was given a fan-translated SNES ROM of the Japanese Final Fantasy IV - I'm told that the original version was harder, so fans added a translation patch.

While I know it's bad and all to support the idea of playing downloaded ROMs, I personally give an exception to fan-translation patches and will not budge from my position no matter the argument against me. Thus, I wanted to share the fact that these options exist here.

Finally, the obligatory "which Final Fantasy" is my favorite. Except, I don't have a favorite, of sorts. Instead, I have categories.

Masterpiece story: FFVI
    Most fun to play: FFIX
    Best soundtrack: Final Fantasy Tactics
    Coolest/badassary: FFVII
    Most trendy/artistic: FFXIII
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited May 2010
    Hell of a job you've done here, Prime.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Like I mentioned in the article, I acknowledge that fan ROMS and whatnot exist, but that's a lot of hooey and voodoo, and I'm not going to support pirating ROMs and shitty translations. I've listed the official ways to play every game :)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Which translations are you referring to, you spoony bard?
  • edited May 2010
    Snark snark snark.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    drasnor wrote:
    Which translations are you referring to, you spoony bard?

I think that is a pseudo-swear cause there are several times in the game where a curse would have made sense, but it's a children's game, so they can't have an actual swear.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Please follow up with FF tie-in games. Tactics etc.
    edited May 2010
    ...and I'm not going to support pirating ROMs and shitty translations.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge. I've played some 5-star translations that go above and beyond. A little off-topic, but as an example, the guys over at Starman.net translated Mother 3 (the EarthBound game with Lucas for the GBA) that, quite frankly, blew me away. They were able to localize the wit and humor to have it both make sense for a Western audience, as well as still be drop-dead hilarious.

Starman's official thoughts are put right into the game when you fire it up. Paraphrasing, they ask you to enjoy their hard work up until the big N ports an official translated version of Mother 3 stateside...

...which will be never. Some of these fan translations are here out of necessity. And honestly, Japan seems to be fairly lax about it. Just look at the anime fan-subs.
    edited May 2010
    I'm not judging. I'm saying that ROMs go beyond the scope and intent of my article.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    I think that is a pseudo-swear cause there are several times in the game where a curse would have made sense, but it's a children's game, so they can't have an actual swear.
    Square decided to keep this one for the DS release since it's achieved legendary status but it's well-known that they do poor localization jobs. Some of the dialogue in the latest Star Ocean was downright painful.
  • edited May 2010
    Congratulations for sensoring valid criticism. I saw how you removed the other person's comment on here that was negative about your article.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    No, we remove comments from people that act like uncivilized morons.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2010
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    You've confused uncivilized morons with the ignorant loudmouths. It's ok though, they often intermingle and can be difficult to tell apart.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the SPOILER WARNINGS.
    edited May 2010
    Spoiler: Darth Vader is luke's father.

Spoiler: Luke and Leia are siblings

FOR FUCK'S SAKE THE GAME IS 13 YEARS OLD. If you didn't know it by now, sorry. Time to come out from under your rock. There's a statute of limitations on these things, you know.
    JBoogaloo
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, Anon. Everyone and their grandma knows what happens to Aeris. It's saturated into common knowledge. Besides, the longer you wait to actually play something, the greater the risk will be you hear how the plot goes does.

No doubt you've heard spoilers before from your friends talking about the ending to a game, movie, or even last night's TV episode you all watch.

You do have friends, right?
    edited June 2010
    Updated! News today from PlayStation says that FFIX is going to be available on PSN this coming Tuesday! Wooooo!
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Updated! News today from PlayStation says that FFIX is going to be available on PSN this coming Tuesday! Wooooo!

Once I had heard this was released for the PSN in Japan (back on the 20th of May I believe), I figured it would only be a matter of time before it was available in the US. I've always felt FFIX was underrated compared to some of the others, and even though I already own FFIX, I will go ahead and get it from the PSN, just to make things easier.

I'd love for them to make the various compilations that were released for the PSX available on the PSN as well (Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Chronicles, & Final Fantasy Anthology). Especially Final Fantasy Anthology :D.
    edited September 2011
    Now updated with the news that Final Fantasy VI (III in the US) is now available for the Wii Virtual Console, as well as added the section about Final Fantasy XIV.
  • edited October 2011
    You forgot that VII and VIII was released on PC. VII is much better on PC because of all the mods that have been released for it, like high-res textures.
    edited October 2011
    I skipped the PC releases intentionally, as neither of them in my opinion were very good. Didn't know about the texture packs though. Thanks!
  • edited October 2011
    Final Fantasy XI should be PS2, PC, 360 and not PS3. There is no official client for non-bc PS3's at this time.
    edited October 2011
    Very good point. Thanks!
  • edited October 2011
    the best part of this guide is I dont even have to play VII anymore, thanks!
  • Quite honestly, the PSN version of Final Fantasy 4 is far superior to the DS version. Though it lacks the 3D graphics and the voice acting, the PSN version is better for one very good reason; the DS version's Augment system is among the most broken things I've ever seen in a video game.
    Fair points, but for many (especially those new to the series), the 3D and voice acted version is much closer to a modern gaming experience and thus is much more accessible.

Story updated to reflect the release of FFV(!) The ONLY Final Fantasy game I've never played, and FFVI (!!) on PSN.
  • Final Fantasy VII was re-released on PC via the Square Enix network thingy. It's great.
    primesuspect
    Final Fantasy VII was re-released on PC via the Square Enix network thingy. It's great.
    Thanks, Dan :) I've updated the article to reflect that.