Android 2.2 is official: FroYo's features and phones revealed

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Ooh, auto app-updating wasn't expected. That's excellent, and well-needed.
  • edited May 2010
    Agreed on the auto app-updating. That's a bit of a pain right now, although I would like to be able to selectively enable it. There are some apps that I specifically do NOT update.

I've been tethering (it's the only app I have paid for) for a while with my Moto Droid.

It will be interesting how Flash is implemented, since so many of its features require the mouse/hover feature. Tough to do with a cap-touch screen.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It can be selectively enabled, sir! :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Looking forward to the hackers to start getting this out on other devices. IMO, the Moment is plenty powerful enough for 2.1, so 2.2 should not be an issue.

Add in the extra performance afforded by customized ROM and kernel builds, and things get even snappier.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    The only thing I see that is still missing is voice control via Bluetooth headset. Other than that it's looking like a great update.
  • edited May 2010
    Google didn't anything about ota for nexus one,
    you guys give wrong info.
  • edited May 2010
    Where were you told that the Froyo OTA started today? I didn't hear anything about a release in the keynote, the press was told the phones on hand were running beta builds and they way they talked about a lot of the features made it sounds like it wasn't quite done yet. I would love to be wrong and I know the Nexus will get it first, but I was under the impression that it wouldn't be for a couple weeks at least.

@Todd J. List: Flash does not depend on mouseovers anymore than CSS or Javascript do. It's just a features. Mouseovers are a development paradigm that has become very popular in Flash just as it has in HTML, and with touchscreens that has to change, but keep it mind that it's a development issue, not a Flash issue.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    UNF UNF UNF.

BRB, checking for OTA updates on my N1.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Holy hell, an "Update All" button. I couldn't believe such a thing wasn't already there, the first time I used Android
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Come on Verizon, where is my update. It has been 15 minutes.. arrgh!!
  • edited May 2010
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/pressrel/20100520_io-android.html

Thanks for getting our hopes up. Where did you get your info anyway?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Came here from the link on ZDnet. Pretty cool to get reference by them.

Also: this update makes me jealous. Me want Flash...
  • deepseadeepsea Lancaster, PA
    edited May 2010
    As long as flash can be turned off, it sounds great. The slower loads and bandwidth lost on ads...3G signals aren't seamless in middle of nowhere PA, so the speed matters.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Looks like people in the communities are already taking dumps of /system and poking around. One of the guys at SDX already has a bootable (barely functional, but it does boot) /system image for the Moment.
  • edited May 2010
    I WANT THE MOTOROLA DROID TO HAVE A TIMER ON THE CAMERA. EVEN THE LG DARE HAD A 10 SECOND TIMER ON THE CAMERA SO YOU CAN SET THE PHONE DOWN AND JUMP IN THE PIC
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    capslock.jpg
    edited May 2010
    I think my favorite feature that no one has mentioned is the fact that applications can cause the trackball on the Nexus One to light up different colors besides white now... I think I might be easily amused.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That was possible before, and in other apps I can't find right now.
    edited May 2010
    It was possible before only if your phone was rooted, or at least that's what I had read before. 2.2 makes it possible in the stock ROM.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    It was possible before only if your phone was rooted, or at least that's what I had read before. 2.2 makes it possible in the stock ROM.
    Applications could make it happen if they were written to do so. HandcentSMS is a great example. No rooting required.
    edited May 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    Applications could make it happen if they were written to do so. HandcentSMS is a great example. No rooting required.
    Actually, yes, rooting was required. Direct quote from the linked article.
    Requirement :

- Su/Rooted phone
    I've used Handcent since I had my G1. The options for changing trackball color didn't show up unless you had root access on 2.1.

EDIT: There is also no option in Handcent to change the trackball color on 2.2. I think you're confusing the LED color (which has been available as long as I can recall) with the trackball color.
  • edited August 2010
    when will 2.2 update be available for htc mytouch 3g slide? hopefully soon.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    HTC said that all of their phones released in 2010 will be updated to 2.2 by the end of the year.