The last thing Warren needs is another parking lot full of junk

13»

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Jay wrote:
    Since you oppose economic develpment and the creation of new jobs. Can you survive eating grass?? I can't believe that the owner is going through this for a piece of land that he owns.. TERRIBLE.

I know lets tear down Yellow Stone and put in a giant fucking parking space, no the nations largest parking space. It'll be awesome think of all the jobs and revenue that it'll create. Yeah sure a little bit of the environment will be destroyed but that's insignificant to the all might dollar isn't it. Besides it's not like people actually enjoy the scenery or landscape, oh heavens no.

Jeebus Christ people are fucking dumb these days.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    They paved paradise and put up a parking lot,
    With a pink hotel, a boutique,
    And a swinging hot spot.
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got till it's gone?
    They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    ^I hate that song so much it SUCKS
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    And, yet, it's strangely apropos.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    ^I hate that song so much it SUCKS
    U mad, umadd
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Jay wrote:
    I can't believe that the owner is going through this for a piece of land that he owns.. TERRIBLE.

I know, right? It's insane to fight for what is yours.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I agree that it kind of sucks to own land and be told you cannot use it for what you want. But in this country, life isn't fair. You cannot build a factory in a residential area. You cannot build a school in a heavy industrial area. It's called Zoning.

Now this guy's land MAY be zoned for this "parking lot" but he basically abandoned it years ago. The city should have just said, "sorry, you lost the right to the land since you haven't cared for it in years. We'll buy it from you at fair market value." Which, these days means a few grand. Make it a city park and lease sections to folks like a community garden. Lease = $12 a year or something.
    edited June 2010
    QCH wrote:
    Now this guy's land MAY be zoned for this "parking lot" but he basically abandoned it years ago. The city should have just said, "sorry, you lost the right to the land since you haven't cared for it in years. We'll buy it from you at fair market value." Which, these days means a few grand. Make it a city park and lease sections to folks like a community garden. Lease = $12 a year or something.

There is a town somewhere (I don't remember where, but I saw it while watching Capitalism: A Love Story) that introduced a law which gives owners 2 years to fix up their properties or the confiscate and demolish the buildings, then turn the area into greenspace or community gardens, etc. I'm unsure if business properties are subjected to the same rules, but any residential area certainly can be taken. I love it.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited June 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    There is a town somewhere that introduced a law which gives owners 2 years to fix up their properties or the confiscate and demolish the buildings, then turn the area into greenspace or community gardens, etc. I'm unsure if business properties are subjected to the same rules, but any residential area certainly can be taken. I love it.
    I wish they would do that in this town that I live in. This is not the worst looking town, our city council members do play a big part in the cosmetics. However there is still buildings/homes that have been vacant and run down for years.
    edited June 2010
    Wrong!!! As an American it is my right to own property regardless of what it looks like, that is if it is personal. Now if a publicly traded corporation owns a piece of property and they don't do anything with it then maybe the government can take it and make green space or whatever out of it.

However if I personally own a plot of land I don't think that the government at any level can take that from me. They can buy it sure but taking it is against the constitution.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited June 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    Wrong!!! As an American it is my right to own property regardless of what it looks like, that is if it is personal.
    As an American (If thats the way you want to look at it), it is my right to live in a community that doesn't look like shit because my neighbor is neglecting his property. Your property value is also appraised by the appearance of your neighbors. If you want to neglect your property, you can purchase out of city limits.

Back to the parking lot full of junk. If it is not usable, it should be recycled and not stored on millions of parking lots across the country.
    edited June 2010
    As an American (If thats the way you want to look at it), it is my right to live in a community that doesn't look like shit because my neighbor is neglecting his property. Your property value is also appraised by the appearance of your neighbors. If you want to neglect your property, you can purchase out of city limits.

This goes double in cases where someone who doesn't own the property has been taking care of it for years (apparently) while you have been neglecting it. If you ask me, the person who has been putting in the time and effort to care for the property should own it, not the person who neglected the property until the chance to make a quick buck off of it rolled around.
    edited June 2010
    Please note that I said personal, the property in question in this case is owned by a corporation. If they have failed to do anything with it, for a significant amount of time, while others have worked hard to make it look nice and beautiful and clean then by all means I think that they lose the rights to own it. Especially if it is smack dab in the middle of a residential zone.
    edited June 2010
    Actually, IIRC (it's been a while since I read the articles on this), the property is owned by a private individual who is attempting to sell it to a company to turn into a parking lot.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    That is correct: The property is owned by an investor; a man who bought it and did nothing with it for some amount of years (over 10, if I remember correctly), and then when a trucking company wanted to use it for junk storage, he wanted to pave it and lease it to them.

He wouldn't name the company who wanted to lease it; that is the reason two of the council members gave for voting "no".

That means he had something to hide.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    That doesn't mean he has something to hide Brian. It's standard practice to not name lessees until the documentation is signed and finalized. I came across it all the time working at the newspaper with the urban developments and tax incremental finance districts I had to cover. They do this to prevent competitors from coming in and cocking things up. Because property changes hands so often and so easily, and because of the economy, no deal is done until it's signed-sealed-DONE.
  • OptixOptix New Brunswick, Canada
    edited June 2010
    Great news that this was shot down, even if it is temporary.

My wife and I always see vacant lots or condemned buildings and immediately think green space. We are very lucky to have the many green spaces that we do in our city but it doesn't change the fact that more are needed with the way some are treating this planet.
  • edited June 2010
    Green is nice. Taking other peoples property isn't. Condemn the property, pay the going price for commercial-undeveloped land. Or re-zone to semi-agriculture with or without right-of way access to surrounding properties to prevent land speculation. Simple. Unless you(the property owners) have collusion with some city councilmen. Depending on the acreage, people could rent and create small gardens and have a farmers market ala SIM City.
  • edited November 2011
    Tom has been fixing up people's properties since he was 15 or 16. He finds the worst kept property in a neighborhood and finds out that the person is elderly or sick, and he starts cleaning it up.He has done this many times for many people. I know-he did it for my parents about 30 years ago. A home that was basically a blight on a neighborhood turned into a pleasant place. And he charged nothing.If you think his secret garden is just a bunch of junk, you have not seen it. It's really magical!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Did this become a parking lot?
    edited November 2011
    No. It's still there :)
  • edited November 2011
    Where is this are located at exactly?
    edited November 2011
    It's in the greenbelt between Blackmar and Mound.
    edited November 2011
    "Located approximately 711 ft. north of Stephens Road and approximately 563 ft. west of Mound Road"