If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch SlutToronto, ON Icrontian
edited Oct 2011 in Technology

Comments

• edited May 2010
  • edited Jun 2010
    My comp has just died and undergone this very same problem yesterday. D= Worked completely alright when it coked out with the screen of death the next morning. Am going to try the instructions outlined here but I have a q...
    After typing in '1' 'Which windows admin would you like to log into' command, I get directed to:
    D:\WINDOWS instead of C:\WINDOWS

Is it possible to still use the solution above if that's the case? Don't want to do anything yet since I'm scared it will further exacerbate the prob. >___<

Hope someone can answer this!
  • edited Jun 2010
    at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console i`m getting Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
    Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
    Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.
  • edited Jun 2010
    This worked well with some pc based till systems that were showing same symptoms after loading the usb printer driver. Great help, thanks
  • edited Jun 2010
    Hi , i got the "which windows would you like to log onto" . After that i type "1" . Now instead of going to the command prompt , i get the Blue screen of death ..registry_error stop 0x00000051 ..kindly help me.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited Jun 2010
    graverunner: D:\Windows is probably your CD drive. C: is nearly always the HDD. Your HDD might be toast and not detectable, but perhaps someone else could chime in if I am incorrect.

mahaveer: Sounds like your HDD is bad (mechanical failure of some sort). Ensure that all the plugs are in the right spot and try the steps again. If you get the same result or hear any clicking, then the HDD is toast.

Vipin: Glad to hear it worked for you

therain: That sounds like it is trying to mount parts of your registry that are then making the command prompt bomb out. Not sure what to do there without using a boot disc that can do offline registry fixing (and I'm not going to be able to discuss that because we only support and recommend legal actions here).
  • edited Jun 2010
    hi i have go to the stage of the password and don't know the administrator password please could you help me
  • edited Jun 2010
    thanks
    for you help
    francs
  • edited Jun 2010
    You can find answers from this website: www.windowsrecoverys.com
  • edited Jun 2010
    This procedure erases all restore points.
    Still have the BSOD.
  • edited Jun 2010
    I tried several other fixes with no luck and this fixed my PC.
    Mike
  • edited Jun 2010
    use of screen shot and image make things easy to understand
  • edited Jun 2010
    Save yourself some steps:

C: ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\\boot.ini
  • edited Jun 2010
    I tried it twice to fix an emachine . I used their restore disks and it came up with The file Windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or doesnt exist and I went through your process and did it twice with the same result. the recovery console still says the same thing and the computer will not boot
  • edited Jun 2010
    Niel just hit enter for the password
  • edited Jun 2010
    hello there!! Thanks a lot for the procedure....everytime i used to get this error i had to reinstall windows...this save ALOT of time..and ofcourse DATA.. : D
  • edited Jun 2010
    Thanks a lot, that was a life saver!
  • edited Jun 2010
    hello
    thanks a lot for the idea
  • edited Jun 2010
    Hi Guys,

At the end of this process, I was left with the option to boot two different, yet identically named versions of "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". To fix this I had to edit my boot.ini file in Windows.

Just wanted to let people know that they might need to do some additional work not mentioned in this article.
  • edited Jul 2010
    It works just like a charm. Your article saves my day.
    Thank you a lot.
  • edited Jul 2010
    Thank you so much for your clear explanation...just about to undertake these steps to repair a PC which has given me 4 of these errors over the last few years and has had me on on Linux for the last 2 weeks...although maybe that's a good thing! Will report back with the results!
  • edited Jul 2010
    I lost the function of removing software in the control panel add or remove programs. How can I recover that functionality?
  • edited Jul 2010
    are you sure it's CHKDSK /R /F ? That command returns "The parameter is not valid." message.
    CHKDSK /? does not list a /F as a valid parameter, but it does list /P. CHKDSK /R /P does run.
  • edited Jul 2010
    -=WARNING!=-

You need to proofread your text, before publishing it.

* C: CD ..
    * C: ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
    * C:ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
    * C:ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
    * C: del boot.ini
    * C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild
    * C: CHKDSK /R /F
    * C: FIXBOOT

Watch the typos!

Also, all you need to do is
    `ATTRIB -RSH file1 file2....filen'

But worse still,
    YOU FORGOT TO BACK UP THE BOOT.INI with
    `cp boot.ini boot.bak'

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

__NEVER__ edit system files without first saving a copy.

Shame On You!

I hope you haven't led too many people into screwing their computers into oblivion, like most of the other Geek Squad wanabees have, already.

HAND.
  • edited Jul 2010
    Some Command Line Interpreters
    might need
    "aattrib -r -s -h" (without the quotes)
    instead of
    "attrib -rsh" (without the quotes)
    to clear all the flags. This is true in Windows 2000. YMMV
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Gyro Gearloose said:
    Some Command Line Interpreters
    might need
    "aattrib -r -s -h" (without the quotes)
    instead of
    "attrib -rsh" (without the quotes)
    to clear all the flags. This is true in Windows 2000. YMMV
    You're gonna wanna watch those typos.
  • edited Jul 2010
    aatrib

=ouch!=

I stand corrected.
  • edited Jul 2010
    All joking aside:

Killing your boot.ini and doing a sanity check
    might work, provided the user is not in
    multiboot environment.

That said: it is NEVER a good idea to delete or modify ANY system file without first backing up the original version.

A typical multi-boot setup, using ntldr to chainload to grub, might look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=12
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\bolin="CentOS"

C:\="WIN 98"

c:\bodos="DOS622" /win95dos

c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Recovery Console" /CMDCONS

Should this get deleted or overwritten, it would be nice to have a copy, to manually reconstruct from, if nothing else.

Summarily blowing away the boot.ini is not a swell idea, in any event.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    As far as a "multiboot environment" that's going to be pretty rare considering any PC, no matter what it is will always run better with a single OS rather then 2 or more....

The people adding multi boot sequences should be tech-savvy enough to figure out the problem on there own or at least be able to google until they find an answer....

"Searching google for long enough will solve all life's problems"
    edited Jul 2010
    Mr TRiot said:
    As far as a "multiboot environment" that's going to be pretty rare considering any PC, no matter what it is will always run better with a single OS rather then 2 or more...
    Ehhh I dont know how valid this is. Maybe partially true, as in the "inner" OSs, those farther in on the disk, will be "slower" but that is only marginally so and if you are using a SSD, I would think that there would be zero performance degradation.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Tushon said:
    Ehhh I dont know how valid this is. Maybe partially true, as in the "inner" OSs, those farther in on the disk, will be "slower" but that is only marginally so and if you are using a SSD, I would think that there would be zero performance degradation.
    I don't see the point in running multi OS's on one system unless it's a server. Such as one linux based OS for placing product orders and one OS for a work station environment. Even still that's just lazy on the part of the company for not wanting to dish out more $$ for a workstation

I ran Vista/Ubuntu on my comp for awhile and it just slowed up my boot speed to minutes (typical is 20 seconds or so) and was just generally not as fast as it should of been. I rearranged all files to be as close to the center of the disc to try to improve boot speed and the time it takes for switching OS's. I got maybe a 5% speed increase? Barely worth the effort...

My opinion stands. Unless you're in a work environment or wanting to "try" a new OS (such as Ubuntu) it's always better to use a single OS rather then two. It'll also save you gigs of space to boot...
  • edited Jul 2010
    I'm trying the steps outlined above, but I dont remember ever setting a Admin pasword, can anyone help
  • edited Jul 2010
    When you're using XP Home, there will be no password for the Administrator's account. Simply press ENTER.

If you're using XP Pro and you have forgotten your admin password, you could reset it. Simply google for "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor"
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Mr TRiot said:
    I don't see the point in running multi OS's on one system unless it's a server. Such as one linux based OS for placing product orders and one OS for a work station environment. Even still that's just lazy on the part of the company for not wanting to dish out more $$ for a workstation

I ran Vista/Ubuntu on my comp for awhile and it just slowed up my boot speed to minutes (typical is 20 seconds or so) and was just generally not as fast as it should of been. I rearranged all files to be as close to the center of the disc to try to improve boot speed and the time it takes for switching OS's. I got maybe a 5% speed increase? Barely worth the effort...

My opinion stands. Unless you're in a work environment or wanting to "try" a new OS (such as Ubuntu) it's always better to use a single OS rather then two. It'll also save you gigs of space to boot...

That's not really true, I'm afraid. A boot sector is a boot sector. Adding another OS shouldn't slow down the OS in the slightest.

Also, the center of the disk is not the fastest.
    edited Jul 2010
    Thrax said:
    That's not really true, I'm afraid. A boot sector is a boot sector. Adding another OS shouldn't slow down the OS in the slightest.

The mighty cat has spoken.

I think he had the right motive, wrong idea.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Thrax said:

While adding a second OS won't slow down the operation of the OS at all, it can slow boot times down, especially if you wait for the timeout on your bootloader screen instead of hitting enter. Of course this is just being nitpicky (which I excel at).
  • edited Aug 2010
    Thank You sooooooo Much , that helped 100% .
    God Bless .

LOUISE
  • edited Aug 2010
    Didn't anyone see 8Man 's post?

> CHKDSK /? does not list a /F as a valid parameter

there is no F switch. what is the reason behind this? I am on XP SP3 Home Premium

//combined:

Okay, after due diligence, I must report that outside sources indicate that the switch F is implied with the R switch, and that F is only applicable in a DOS shell within an active Windows session.

Dave

//combined:

Okay, after due diligence, I must report that outside sources indicate that the switch F is implied with the R switch, and that /F is only applicable in a DOS shell within an active Windows session.

Dave
  • edited Sep 2010
    Thank You So Much.....
  • DanDan
    edited Sep 2010
    I changed two exe files as instructed by microsoft tech and after that my computer would not restart it was looking for those two files. I used my operating system cd to get it to started back. It came back on but it partition my hard drive. I have a back up file on my C drive. Can I change those two files back and restore it or is there anything else I can do to restore my computer back the way it was?
    edited Sep 2010
    If your windows CD matches the service pack on the computer you can run

sfc /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows /scannow
    from the repair console (you boot from the CD and press r for repair mode [XP] or choose command prompt [vista or later]
  • edited Sep 2010
    Thanks you very much.
    Saved on of my client's Production server on Windows NT.
  • Thank you.
    this solved my problem
  • edited Sep 2010
    thanks so much for the post. when i tried to CHKDSK was told that there are irrecoverable problems. is there anything else i can do?
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Sep 2010
    If chkdsk is reporting irrecoverable problems you probably have a hard drive that is physically dying. I'd suggest hooking you disk up to another system (using a USB enclosure is the easiest way to do it), back up any data you can pull off it and replace the disk.
  • edited Oct 2010
    I cannot reach the "Welcome to Setup" screen. The blue screen appears before I can get so far.
  • edited Oct 2010
    Thanks very much.Your solution works fine for me.
    It is clear and easy to learn.
    You deserved a 10 !
  • edited Oct 2010
    These instructions didn't do anything for me, except give me multiple load identifiers.

However, FIXMBR did help.

I'm not posting this to slam the article - I loved it! It sent me looking in the right direction and taught me way more about Recovery Console than I ever knew.

I just wanted to mention what worked for me, to offer hope to any who enter here & leave despairing (at least temporarily).
  • edited Oct 2010
    Thank you, This worked for me 2
  • edited Oct 2010
    Great article and i don't mean to slam it but as posted above, a lot of inconsistences. I love the part where it states "Neither of these procedures are cheap in the realm of commercial PC repair, nor do they inspire a tremendous level of confidence in the technician or the hopeful client.", well all I can say is unless you are 100% computer illiterate you would never have taken it to GeekSquad in the first place and pay over-priced service charges from under qualified "technicians", and as Melinda said above, you you truely know the error and what you are doing, FIXMBR has worked perfectly for the errors that need it more times in my career (which is probably twice as long as the average aged tech at Geeksquad) than I care to mention. Also as already stated and a BIG MUST, BACK UP ANY FILE FIRST BEFORE YOU DELETE IT. But thanks geeksquad, because if it wasn't for you guys i wouldn't be so busy fixing the problems you either couldn't or caused.