Unable to Read Photo CD

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited June 2010 in Science & Tech
My daughter just got married and my brother-in-law gave me a CD with photos of the wedding (CD-R). When I insert the CD into my disc drive, my computer reads the disk as an unwritten blank disc. It is the same on four computers: my home, my work, my wife's laptop, and my son's laptop. I now have four discs from my brother-in-law and all are the same: appear to be blank. My daughter said she had no problem getting the pictures from the disc she received (which is one of the four "blank" discs I have).

Why cannot I see these photos? The four computers are between one and five years old, with Windows XP Pro (one with XP Home, not sure about my wife's laptop). I'm not sure what my brother-in-law is using.

I guess this is not really that important because I'm sure I can eventually get the photos with a memory stick or something else, I just don't understand why I cannot read the disc on four different computers when my daughter had no problem. Maybe a XP vs. Vista?

And I really don't want to admit to my brother-in-law that I am too stupid to read a photo disc.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited June 2010
    Thrax,

I tried but it did not help. I followed the directions on the linked page so I assume the driver installed. But, when I insert the photo CD, the computer still reads it as a blank CD. On the other hand, if I try to write something onto the CD, I get an error message (and I really do not believe the CD is actually blank).
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited June 2010
    Thrax,

No need to worry any more. Another computer at the office was able to read the disc with no problem, so I now have the photos on a flash drive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Awesome. :) Glad everything turned out okay.