Production grade quality digital color printer/press suggestions

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited June 2010 in Hardware
Forgive me if this has no place on icrontic, but I do know at least one icrontian with a bit of professional printing background (you know who you are prime).

We're looking for something that can do 4,500 8.5x11 2-sided sheets monthly (9,000 impressions monthly). 4-part color digital printer. Preferably straight-through paper-path. Uncoated. Nothing to heavy in terms of stock. Oh, and this is the best part... prefereably previously used and in the $5,000 realm.

I've looked at Xante, Okidata, Xerox, HP. Haven't really looked at Kyocera, but might be of interest. The powers that be here at my work are kind of concerned that smaller companies like Xante and Okidata are too small to give A+ service (my boss is convinced Okidata is small). The boss is also convinced the Xerox is overpriced. He is most attracted to HP and Kyocera.

I know this is very specific for a "geek-tech" website but I trust you guys and would love some opinions/suggestions... or even just suggestions for where to find people that have personal experience with this stuff and will give unbiased information.

Thanks everybody!!

Comments

• SirCandleSirCandle New Haven
    edited June 2010
    My dad is the president of a printing company, I'll ask him tonight and see what he thinks.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited June 2010
    Superb. Thanks.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Look into Konica and Canon. If you call one of the companies who manage these sorts of devices, usually the most cost-effective method is getting the complete package of service plan/supplies/lease. Call Ikon and see what they have for you. Usually those companies listen to your needs and they're not too bad about trying to upsell you.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I'm checking this stuff out... looks pretty much up our alley.