My thoughts on the new Engineer Stuff

Foxy-KFoxy-K Frostbite Falls
edited July 2010 in Team Fortress 2
I don't like the idea of using the Wrangler and frontier justice together because then your personal firepower amounts to melee, 3 shotgun shots (likely without very many crits because you want your sentry to be alive.) and a sentry that aims imperfectly. So, the two loadouts I think will be my favorite and second-most favorite respectively are:

Frontier Justice
Pistol
Gunslinger

This allows you to have 150 hp and quickly make dispensable sentries (lots of revenge crits) and support your sentry with your pistol. Your sentry will die often but that's ok because you want to move it to be sneaky and you want revenge crits. This is the awesome battle/ninja engie layout.

Shotgun
Wrangler
The Southern Hospitality

The Wrangler lets you have a sentry-sniper and with a dispenser you have a dangerous little base. However, the sentry's aim is imperfect. I use the regular shotgun to provide plenty of personal firepower (6 shots) which I feel is necessary with not having a pistol. In addition, you can't really take advantage of revenge crits with a sentry that has a shield around it. The southern hospitality gives spies something to think about, although if there were tons of pyros I'd use the wrench I think.

So, those are the two loadouts I think I'll be using, especially the first one. Thoughts?

Comments

• BaysinBaysin Constantly Changing Member
    edited July 2010
    For myself, I think I may end up using the Frontier gun all the time. If I need more than 3 shots in a row, I'm probably either dead or else I've got the time to take cover and reload. So far I've been using it constantly and never really wished I had the old one. How often I get revenge shots has been situational, but when they come up I find it's pretty fun.

I think it should also pair nicely with the Gunslinger, but you really need to be doing the ninja engie thing with it... lately all I've been seeing is people dropping mini sentries in normal defensive positions, which seems pointless. It seems to me you want to be dropping them behind enemy lines or in unexpected places, to harass them and/or create diversions while you run up behind and punch them or drop a tele exit in a sneaky place. And then, like you said, with any luck you'll be getting one or two revenge crits on a regular basis while you're running around causing havok. If you're going to go that route, you're basically forgoing a real sentry gun in favor of a distraction or speed bump, in which case you really need to be sure you're causing a lot of trouble in other ways.

And I noticed something today that I may as well post here because I can't be bothered to start a thread about it. With the Wrangler, Medics ubering someone can no longer count on being able to absorb the pushback on the sentry guns by running around in front of their partner. I did this today, ubered a heavy and ran in to three sentries. Figured we'd at least get two of them easily. Did my thing, ran up to get the sentry's attention, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't having my movement impeded but my heavy was way back where we started. Then I saw two laser beams aimed at the heavy, and realized the engies were being smart (gasp!) and aiming at him and not me. He couldn't get close enough to really dish out the damage and we barely got one gun down. Just another strategic change to keep in mind with this update, and one that I hadn't thought of until it came up.
  • Foxy-KFoxy-K Frostbite Falls
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, that pushback thing is good to know.

The Wrangler is pretty amazing in the old role of the engineer (area denial) since you can have either a regular sentry or one that you aim.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Frontier Justice, pistol, gunslinger. I love my robot arm XD
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The Southern Hospitality should not be used as a spy deterrent. So far, I have survived several nest raids because my target hit me with the SH instead of the crit-loving wrench. Sure, I took a little under half my health in damage, but I nailed him with my revolver and made it away. Normally, if I get hit by a wrench, it's a crit and I'm dead.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I like the Gunslinger because I can build a mini sentry somewhere in the vicinity of a control point/cart/intel and build a dispenser base within the mini sentry's line of sight, then one of my teammates can stand at the dispenser with me and protect the point/cart/intel with me, and my mini sentry runs backup. Then if they blow it up I get mah revenge crits with the Frontier Justice.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    cola wrote:
    I like the Gunslinger because I can punch Starman to death with a robot arm.

Fixed.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Engi update is awesome. When the server is full of noob engis its sniper's delight and when its a balanced game Southern Justice/Gunslinger is super fun.
  • Foxy-KFoxy-K Frostbite Falls
    edited July 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    Engi update is awesome. When the server is full of noob engis its sniper's delight and when its a balanced game Southern Justice/Gunslinger is super fun.

Frontier Justice. Get it right. It's about respect.