How Ustream gave the finger to 30,000 people during EVO2010

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• edited July 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:

Hi Bobby,

I'm the founder of Evo. Thanks for your passion about our event, but UStream is 100% innocent here. The stream failure was caused by a hardware failure in the Level Up production team's setup.

The fact that UStream held up to the incredible load we threw at them with basically no notice is a testament to the resiliency of their service.

I hope this renews your faith in the Internet.

-Tom
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Tom,

Thanks so much for stopping by and clearing up the story. We appreciate the insight :)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    30K is the largest number of viewers I've seen for Ustream. I've actually watched a lag-free stream with 25K+ on Ustream before.

The unreliability is just something that comes with the territory for live streaming video. It sucks when it doesn't work or when you have to keep closing pop up adds or when their logo covers up an important part of the screen, but overall it's great technology to get a lot of eyes on an event that isn't quite popular enough to get on TV.

From my experience Ustream is probably the most reliable and robust service available. Cheer up Bobby, you got to see most of the event, and without the stream you wouldn't have gotten to see any of it live.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Bobby, congratulations. I have NEVER read an article so electrifying, so incredibly well-presented that I was literally leaning forward in my chair, my heart pumping, just to hear what was going to happen next in the fight.

EVEN THOUGH I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. You were that good.

Plus, you really set the mood with the "upgrade!" pic of Jimmy and the Nova Shin. Cracks me up every time, and I'm so glad you included it.

Also, to Tom, thank you so much for coming in. I was more disappointed than angry at Ustream at Bobby's news, and the fact that you took the time to speak up means quite a lot to me.

Here's to hoping that Ricky will have a wonderful comeback next year. YOU HEAR THAT DAIGO?!
  • edited July 2010
    I was more suprised about Justin Wong losing out. Who knew there would be a SSF4 Top 8 without him? There was much screaming and cheering when that happened I tell you what.
  • edited July 2010
    What amazing stream action was I watching at http://www.stickam.com/evo2k?
  • edited July 2010
    Stickam partners with G4 TV to present live coverage of EVO 2010, July 9-11