No root for you: Droid X will self-destruct first

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    *Crosses the Droid X off his wishlist*

Thanks, Moto!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    A bold and clear statement: Geeks and tech enthusiasts, this phone is not for you
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Son of a... This was going to be my next phone. Forget it now.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    What a dick move. Such a small proportion of users mod their phones like this, so this feels like a deliberate F-U to the geek community.

I'm considering switching to Verizon to get a Droid 2 when it's available. If they employ the same trick for that phone (and why wouldn't they?), I won't buy it, and I won't switch to Verizon.
    edited July 2010
    For discussion: an article suggesting that the Droid X/eFUSE issue has been blown entirely out of proportion.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I dunno who would want the Droid X anyway. Damn thing is huge. If it weren't for the fact that I'm fat and wear fat people pants, I'd be seriously worried the thing wouldn't fit in my pockets. Hell, my Nexus One barely fits in the pockets of one of my pairs of jeans and the Droid X is appreciably larger than that.

But I digress, this is so not cash. I hope they don't start a trend with this.
    edited July 2010
    Update: Motorola confirms that the eFUSE will not brick the Droid X.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Instead, it'll just put it into recovery mode. End result is the same: you cannot, at the moment, flash any ROM and still have a functioning phone.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Not only that, but it won't leave recovery mode until an approved image is put back on the phone. Which would likely mean the customer would have to take the phone to Verizon or Motorola to have an approved image reinstalled. Unless A) Motorola releases information on how to flash an approved image to it or B) someone in the modding scene does this to their Droid X, figures out how to flash the ROM and releases instructions.