TF2 performance issues (FPS) Anyone an expert?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Team Fortress 2
Here is the deal.

A PC I built for a friend, specifically for gaming a little over a year ago. Dual Core Athlon X2 7750 - 4 GB of DDR2 1066, Radeon 4870 512 mb. Running Windows XP.

He plays everything on it brilliantly, but he calls me the other day, he just got bit by the TF2 bug, got it durring the Steam sale, but it chugs and crashes. So I have it on my bench at home and I've checked the usual suspects. I cleaned the CCC and Drivers, re installed, no dice. I played with the settings, turning off Catalyst AI, then going into the game and turning graphics down, no dice. Then I checked the file integrity and defragged the game files through steam, no luck. I shut down all background applications and re ran the game, no luck. And when I say chug, I mean chug, like any firefight becomes this 15 fps slide show, its awful. There is absolutely no reason for TF2 to chug on this hardware, especially when this hardware checks out fine on every other application. Other games from the steam client load and play fine.

Icrontic TF2 guru's, any clue what I might be missing?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    overheating video / cpu?

One thing you can try is running the game in full-screen windowed mode - some people see better performance like that:

http://lions.dongues.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=515

another randomly helpful thing to do is to delete the clientregistry.blob in the steam folder (not 100% sure where it is located)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    overheating video / cpu?

One thing you can try is running the game in full-screen windowed mode - some people see better performance like that:

http://lions.dongues.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=515

My temps seem to be fine, and I jump into other modern 3D tittle and play them fine without a hitch. I don't think its a hardware issue, I could be wrong, but I think the hardware is fine on all counts, I really think there might be something wonky going on in the software somewhere, or the settings, but I just can't put my finger on it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Have you reinstalled Steam/TF2?
    edited July 2010
    Have you reinstalled Steam/TF2?

Reinstalling TF2 was actually the next thing I was considering. Have you seen installing the Steam client as something that might impact a single game? I've never had to do that before?

By the way, thanks guys....
    edited July 2010
    One thing I've noticed (even with my 5870s in crossfire) is that there's one setting that seems to make things chug a little bit. You might want to go into the settings, set them as low as possible and increase them one by one (or binary search might be faster) to see if you can narrow it down.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    binary search might be faster

But for optimal results an exhaustive search may prove more beneficial.
    edited July 2010
    depth first search plx.
    edited July 2010
    Strangest thing, it only performs crappy like this in offline mode? Playing online, its fine, play a offline practice match, chug, chug, chug, so odd....

Maybe the bot programming is inefficient or something? Anyone else had this problem?
    edited July 2010
    Means the cpu can't handle that much bot ai running at once.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I play on about 15 fps all the time...
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Cola lucky.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    depth first search plx.
    pssh... breadth first search is how the pros debug their TF2.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    People play TF2 offline?

Glad you got it figured out.