Join the 'Icrontimondo' team on Endomondo!

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Fitness
I know I've gotten a few IC people on the bandwagon over at endomondo.com, and my opinion is that it beats out some things we've used in the past like BuddyRunner, etc - the people who have tried it seem to agree. Also supports non-cardio activities, like weightlifting. :thrax:

Figured it was time to make an official IC team: http://www.endomondo.com/team/334612

Don't forget to install the free app on iPhone, Droid and BlackBerry - but if you don't have a phone, the site makes it easy to enter your workouts by tracing on a Google Map, etc.

I'll make a challenge for some fun when a few people get in the team. Join up and let the forums know!! :thumbup:

PS - some people say that the BlackBerry app is hard to install from the site sometimes. The endomondo blackberry app can be found in a few places, since it's free, but this one seems to work consistently: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7593

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    <-- Joined! :rolleyes:;)
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    That's pretty sweet. I think getting a cell phone is going to be pretty high on my list of things to buy now *walks EVERYWHERE*
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    The group aspect of this would probably get me to exercise again. I stopped because I don't have a workout partner in Cali. Lame excuse, I know.

Now I just need a smart phone.
    edited August 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Now I just need a smart phone.

Oh, but you don't

:) You can enter workouts in manually, even trace your route on a Google map if you don't know the distance. Just keep track of your time.

There's literally no reason why you can't start exercising and use the site. Right. Now. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Joined.
    edited August 2010
    Oh, but you don't

:) You can enter workouts in manually, even trace your route on a Google map if you don't know the distance. Just keep track of your time.

There's literally no reason why you can't start exercising and use the site. Right. Now. :D

Really? In THAT case I guess I'll sign myself up
    edited August 2010
    muhahahaha
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Get in on this!

I'm a convert from BuddyRunner. BR borked out about six months ago and it hasn't functioned the same since. The developers seem to have abandoned it, or they are ignoring the changing face of Android.

I've only used Endomondo a handful of times, but this app is fantastic. Knowing that TT is on the other side and seeing his workouts post onto my feed makes me train harder. I'm competitive in spirit, and even though there is no real reason for me to do so, just seeing him work out requires me to work out harder. I simply have to best him. This competitive nature pushed me to run harder and further when I was back in Orange, CA. What a phenomenal tool.

Speaking of which, my lack of activity recently is due to SIGGRAPH, then moving to the Bay area. I'm living out of a suitcase and I don't have any running shoes, things are weird at the moment.

But I'll be back soon, TT. I'LL BE BACK. AND NOT EVEN YOUR MULTIPLE DAILY WALKS WILL SAVE YOU.
    edited August 2010
    lol, BRING IT.

Endomondo got me to start running in June 2010 after seeing them profiled in a magazine at the haircutter - last time I ran was on Varsity track, June 1997.
    edited August 2010
    lol, BRING IT.

Endomondo got me to start running in June 2010 after seeing them profiled in a magazine at the haircutter - last time I ran was on Varsity track, June 1997.

I'm gonna end up beating everyone hands down ;D

It's a really cool program/site. It's nice to actually be able to jot down your work-out routine in a social environment :thumbup:thumbup
    edited August 2010
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    I'm gonna end up beating everyone hands down ;D

Careful, challenges can be constructed in a lot of different ways. Makes the challenges very different and keeps it fresh. :)
    • By total calories, total miles, total minutes...
    • By all sports, or just running, or just canoeing...
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I might as well. I've been using Nike+ but I'll try this out.
  • edited August 2010
    I've been using runkeeper for a couple of months now... any advantages of endomondo over it?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    skryking wrote:
    I've been using runkeeper for a couple of months now... any advantages of endomondo over it?

Um, we have an Icrontic team.

And, I just signed up. Just got some new running shoes too. Been doing a lap around my hood that is a bit over 2 miles, lots of hills and in the middle there is a bit through a school with a bunch of stairs to climb. Its a fun route.
  • edited August 2010
    I think I'm doing about 15-18 miles a week right now, can it track other non pedestrian type workouts... I swim a couple of miles 3 days a week as well...
    edited August 2010
    skryking wrote:
    I think I'm doing about 15-18 miles a week right now, can it track other non pedestrian type workouts... I swim a couple of miles 3 days a week as well...

You can trace your route using google maps if you don't have a smartphone or you go into a no service area. So yes, you can track hiking routes and similar things...

It's also got an area for weight training. Check it out, worse comes to worse you won't like it but I doubt that :P
    edited August 2010
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    You can trace your route using google maps if you don't have a smartphone or you go into a no service area. So yes, you can track hiking routes and similar things...

It's also got an area for weight training. Check it out, worse comes to worse you won't like it but I doubt that :P

no service = cave

works on GPS :)
    edited August 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    Um, we have an Icrontic team.

And, I just signed up. Just got some new running shoes too. Been doing a lap around my hood that is a bit over 2 miles, lots of hills and in the middle there is a bit through a school with a bunch of stairs to climb. Its a fun route.

^^ this, endo does the social side nicely
    edited August 2010
    <iframe src="http://www.endomondo.com/embed/team/summary?id=hWZDYDW1zS0&width=450&height=337&quot; width="450" height="337" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

edit: oh neat, it actually works. Can't edit my first post tho :(
  • edited August 2010
    ok I've signed up and will do my first run with the iphone app in the morning. I managed to export all my old running data from runkeeper and import it into endomondo so that I don't lose it as well.
    edited August 2010
    I get get the damn site to send the GPS app to my phone...
    edited August 2010
    wut

*can't get the site to send the BB app to the phone*?

Try the link I posted in my first post here, downloading the Endomondo app from BB App World seems to be more reliable than having the site deliver a link to your phone via text message.
    edited August 2010
    Endomondo doesnt show up when i search for it in BB App world.
    edited August 2010
    PS - some people say that the BlackBerry app is hard to install from the site sometimes. The endomondo blackberry app can be found in a few places, since it's free, but this one seems to work consistently: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7593
    edited August 2010
    I figured it out. Per usual, the software isn't supported on the curve.
    edited August 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    I figured it out. Per usual, the software isn't supported on the curve.

I see a bunch of Curves here: http://www.endomondo.com/download
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way for us to view all the routes people have taken? That'd be pretty swell...
    edited August 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    Is there a way for us to view all the routes people have taken? That'd be pretty swell...

Depends on what they've set their security to. I have mine set to 'friends only', so anyone who has friended me on Endomondo can see my routes. You can make them public to everyone, but I usually start my phone as I'm in the driveway, so not a good idea for everyone...
    edited August 2010
    Depends on what they've set their security to. I have mine set to 'friends only', so anyone who has friended me on Endomondo can see my routes. You can make them public to everyone, but I usually start my phone as I'm in the driveway, so not a good idea for everyone...

I'd recommend everyone setting there security to "Friends" only as far as routes go. No one here needs randoms that are checking out where they're working out.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I joined. :) Maybe this will actually encourage me to exercise more and run. I have horrible motivation until I start to exercise... then it starts to feel good. It's always hard to start again. I have to admit, I felt great after my mile and a half run yesterday. (Although I walked half of it. The stairs at the elementary school in Magic's route are a bitch!)