Name your top 5 Android Apps!

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Science & Tech
Mine in order of use is:

Google Maps:
I drive a lot for work to new locations from home or location to location, without this I'd be lost!

Shazam:
I know next to nothing about music and the people behind it so I've been using this to tag music while driving so I can later look up the artist and listen to more of what they got to better learn who made that song.

Clock:
OK So I've been a bit lazy to look up a better App for the purpose I use this one, but from waking up to remembering to do tasks like send in email reports I use the Alarms and their descriptions quite a bit.

WikiMobile:
Yet another work related item, I'm almost always early to locations so I'll sit back in my truck and read up on whatever interests me. Lately I have bookmarked "List of Theoretical Physicists" and have been reading their wiki entries from the first one down.

Slidescreen(Free):
Because it's my home screen it's technically my most used program. I do like it too as it gives me up front information from my Email, Texting, and Google Reader news not to forget missed Calls. Google Reader keeps me busy enough so I got the other services turned off.

Other programs I tend to use are Opera Mini 5, eBuddy, TasKiller, FBReader(just got it and love it, may even take time away from WikiMobile), AndChat(not a big chatty guy though), and GoogleSky(gotta have it for those star gazing nights).

I guess I almost forgot to mention I use Cyanogen, I was JUST about to give up on it because it could and usually did take over a minute to wait on a program to load or EVEN MAKE A CALL but the latest update seemed to fix all my frustrating and nearly destructive woes.

Oh and FIRST POST in new forum area!

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    TasKiller
    Twidroid
    Handcent SMS
    Mode Scheduler
    CalWidget

I bought SlideScreen Pro, then realized I couldn't use it because A) it doesn't support Exchange email yet, and B) it takes all my homespaces and only gives me one back. I'll give it another shot when Exchange support gets added (it's promised). It is a gorgeous app, though. One of the best Android has to offer.

Other honorable mentions: Astrid task manager, Shazam, PicSay, Notes, Google Voice, AndroidIRC, WeatherBug, and the AudioManager Console widget. AnyCut and Astro File Manager are pretty required, too.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    iMusic, Seesmic, TasKiller, AndChat and Meebo. :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    iReally, Wish, thatIOwned, anAndroid, basedPhone.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Home++, Handcent, Twidroid, K9Mail, Dolphin Browser
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Seesmic for Twitter
    TasKiller for killing all the Sprint apps that auto-start on boot
    Advanced Launcher for customizing my home screen (including the number of panels)
    AndrOrb for streaming media from my home server to anywhere I am
    Bonsai Blast for when I'm sitting on the crapper and need a game to play
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I've had a Droid for three weeks now, so I'm still figuring out what's available, but here is what I like so far:

K-9 for e-mail
    Twidroid for Twitter
    Handcent SMS (Thanks for the tip Snarky!)
    Google Maps
    Boxee Remote
    edited April 2010
    I'm giving JuiceDefender a test to see how well it works saving battery and shutting off my wifi when I'm out of the house. Will report back if it goes well or poorly. I've also been hacking around and added the 3D galleries (Nexus One style) to my Desire, and I've got the N1 navigation working, too - even in Europe!

Been playing with the Aldiko e-book reader and NewsRob for RSS reading with Google Reader sync. Now if only I could find quiet places to read...
  • makoa26makoa26 Las Vegas
    edited April 2010
    Astro file browser, ³ (cube player), Tube Downloader, i Music, and the always handy flashlight app. I suppose our apps tell a little about us. If you're into media or social networking (most icrontians I presume) it really shows through.
  • DeathJesterDeathJester Lone Wolf Oklahoma Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I bought my first smart phone (samsung captivate) last week so far I enjoy using facebook, twitter, clock, wifi settings, and brainscore (in hopes of playing a game of zombie dice) I know kind of lame, right. Any suggestions for cool and useful apps would be appreciated.
    edited August 2010
    Update: realized a long time ago Taskiller is turribl. New top 5 (mostly the same):

Twidroyd
    CalWidget, Spotify and SwitchPro for widgets
    Handcent SMS
    Smart Alarm Clock (sensor-based, sleep cycle, etc)
    Settings Profiles (better than Locale or Mode Scheduler)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Now that I actually own an Android-based phone:
    ShopSavvy
    Handcent SMS
    Pkt Auctions eBay
    AppBrain
    ColorNote
    edited August 2010
    My updated list:
    Torrent-Fu
    TweetDeck Beta
    Handcent SMS
    K-9
    A bunch of widgets for turning things off like WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc
    edited August 2010
    Check your network usage with Tweetdeck Beta, Nick (and Ryder, too, since I know he's using it) - it uses absurd amounts of data. In the dialer, type *#*#4636#*#* and go to the battery history option. In the top dropdown, pick Network usage. TweetDeck used by FAR the most network, significantly more than Twidroyd - and they should be doing the same thing.

I uninstalled for now since I'm not actually using it. Just something to watch out for if you're concerned about your data usage.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    What's a data usage concern? Oh. Wait. That's for those carriers who say you have unlimited data but you find that in reality they don't. I get it. I don't have one of those :)

Updated list:

Official Twitter Client
    Launcher Pro Plus (His custom widgets own)
    Blow-Up (property destruction and animal cruelty all in one neat game)
    ConnectBot
    Grooveshark
    edited August 2010
    Even though I have unlimited (go Europe go!), it's still absurd for it to be using 4-5x the data that Twidroyd uses. That's excessive no matter which way you cut it.

I use the AnderWeb launcher myself. It's nice having options, though. :)
    edited August 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Check your network usage with Tweetdeck Beta, Nick (and Ryder, too, since I know he's using it) - it uses absurd amounts of data. In the dialer, type *#*#4636#*#* and go to the battery history option. In the top dropdown, pick Network usage. TweetDeck used by FAR the most network, significantly more than Twidroyd - and they should be doing the same thing.

I uninstalled for now since I'm not actually using it. Just something to watch out for if you're concerned about your data usage.
    I'll check it out. I uninstalled Twidroyd, but I'll reinstall and compare the two.

I suspect that TweetDeck wanted the mobile client to work in the same manner as the desktop, so it probably checks way more frequently (I had Twidroyd set to check every 15 minutes or so). They do need to allow some configuration for folks who don't have unlimited data plans.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    If you use the "back" key to exit Tweetdeck, it stays in the background and updates. It does check every 30 seconds or whatever.

I simply use the Menu and "quit" when finished and I get no network usage with it.

As they polish the beta, I do hope they put an option in for how often it updates.
    edited August 2010
    I definitely see TweetDeck replacing Twidroyd for me. I've been waiting for an app to bring all my social networks into one centralized location on my phone. They really need to add update scheduling though. That seems like one of the first things that any app like this should have done.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I prefer Seesmic as my Android Twitter client of choice.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Says the guy with the broken BB.
    edited August 2010
    TweetDeck for Android got an update - font sizing options, timing options for updates, reduced data usage. It's looking pretty sexy now, though it likely still won't replace Twidroyd for me yet.

Seesmic was too... flashy for me when I tried it. I just want simple, muted colors and a smooth palette.
    edited August 2010
    Have you tried Twicca Snarkasm? That damn near replaced Twidroyd for me a few times.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Thread necro

My top apps are probably:
    Tasker (best app ever)
    Handcent SMS
    Gmote + VLC Remote
    SNesoid
    Titanium Backup (I flash ROMs constantly)

Also a big fan of Launcher Pro
    edited November 2010
    Might as well post again since my list has changed significantly:

Launcher Pro
    TweetDeck
    K-9 Mail
    BeyondPod
    SwiftKey
  • PuppetoPuppeto Chattanooga, TN New
    edited November 2010
    My list as of late:

BeejiveIM - No matter how you cut it this is by far the best IM app for Android, Blackberry, and iPhone (I've used it on all three over the years). I use it to connect to 6 different IM services without issue. The only way it could get any better would be if they added IRC support. It isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

My-Cast Weather - I've been using this less and less recently. During spring / summer I'm in and out of this app several times a day as a lot of my job involves extensive traveling and having projects going on outside. Working in/around New Orleans for the past year this became invaluable as the weather can turn on you in a second down there.

WunderRadio - Solid app with almost every radio station available to stream. Used this every morning to catch my local morning news from three states away.

Google Maps / Navigation - Because Toyota's built in GPS (even with costly update DVD's) still sucks hard.

DoggCatcher - Keeps my podcasts fresh without my ever having to think about them. Can be a resource hog if configured incorrectly. Tweak the settings and it'll behave.

The rest of these are honorable mention, but not on my top 5:
    Angry Birds
    Pandora
    SuperMonoBT - pipes audio through to any non-A2DP earpiece. Great for listening to the game while on the go.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I'm a geo-location nut. My most used apps:
    • SCVNGR
    • Foursquare
    • Yelp (the restaurant bookmarking feature is awesome)
    • Barcode Scanner (I'm a QR code nerd)
    • Twitter (the official app is actually pretty damned good)

I'm a social media whore.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm a geo-location whore.

Fix't
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I am a whore

Fixed.
    edited December 2010
    My updated list:
    Handcent SMS
    ColorNote
    Titanium Backup Pro
    ShopSavvy
    Craigslistnotifica

Honorable mention:
    Alchemy
    aCar
    Astro
    Dropbox
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Fixed.
    I was tempted, but I've only met you once and helped move a toliet, so I figured I shouldn't sling shit. :wink: