If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Skillz

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited May 2011 in The Pub
Are you really great at something? Do you want to teach someone how to do something? Do you feel like you should write an article on this something you are so great at?

Sometimes I find myself googling how to do something I want to learn how to do. Why don't we start a thread highlighting our special talents, and we can all learn something new from our friends on Icrontic? This could be fun to learn new skills from others, and learn something from our fellow Icrontians.

Examples: Do you have a special tactic in a video game? Do you know how to build a fantastic desk? Are you a great kisser? Do you make a fabulous cocktail? Do you craft? Any special recipes (although, there is already a thread for that somewhere)? Do you have tips for writing an amazing resume?

Write a how-to here, and we can all learn something new!

4815545813_af61d1fbf7_z.jpg

Comments

• JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Good idea, although I have no 1337 skills, as I can think of..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Are you kidding? You're in the freaking NORWEGIAN COAST GUARD. You people, like, INVENTED BOATS AND SAILING. I'm sure you have skills that most of us do not possess

:jokke:
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    PS, life articles.
    edited Jul 2010
    I've got no skills that can be learned by reading.
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Jokke wrote:
    I've got no skills that can be learned by reading.

Make a video :wtf:
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    PS, life articles.

I was also thinking this might get people inspired to write life articles. :)
    edited Jul 2010
    Andrew, you could share your amazing spaghetti and meatballs recipe. ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    My breakfast-making skillz are pretty 1337.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    If we did this, would we have some way to host videos?
    edited Jul 2010
    Icrontic has an official YouTube channel as well as an official Viddler channel. If you have a video you want hosted, I'll be happy to give you access to the accounts.
    edited Jul 2010
    Myrmidon!!! Dancing lessons!!! You should do a life article on dancing. :)
    edited Jul 2010
    wtb partner. :S
    edited Jul 2010
    We should have done it at EPIC! Why didn't we think of this....
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited Jul 2010
    I could do a video for what I'm great at but I don't suppose xxx videos are aloud??? :eek2:

Sorry couldn't resist! To be fair im more a jack of all trades, master of none.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen Giggles Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    I could do a series on how to waste time on Hulu most efficiently.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    I've actually shot a PC building video but have had zero time to edit it.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    I've mentioned it before, If we could get the TF2 server to record demos, I would love to do how to / recaps / this is how it's done vids revolving around LOEI

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    How to make terrible pictures using MS Paint.

1. Have a good idea / Use old jpg pictures with background colors still present / Start image as a .bmp or .png file type

2. Throw out the good idea in favor of a ridiculous and awful one / Start drawing

3. Ignore border restrictions (If something doesn't fit, do it anyway) / Change text colors arbitrarily / Make minimal effort to fix things you don't like / Spell things rong

4. Realize you forgot to give that guy a nose / Fix it / Decide the cats would be better angry...and pirates

5. Make sure you're hiding behind the sink so you can see how happy you made someone without taking credit / Label the sink in case people can't tell what that blue thing is

6. Draw lines to separate panels if necessary / Save file as a .jpg THEN add background color to ensure awesome

7. Admire your work and realize that no one will ever fully understand what it's about, not even yourself.

8. Throw in the picture of Babby to fill up empty space (Entirely optional but totally worth it)

skillz.jpg
    edited Jul 2010
    That's a mad skill
  • KoreishKoreish KCMO Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Canti have you ever thought about selling these as fine art? Museums would eat this shit up.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    The question is... how do you mspaint on canvas?
    edited Jul 2010
    I have a feeling that Wags had Canti in mind THE ENTIRE time she was writing this thread.

-Digi
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited Jul 2010
    Artichoke, HP makes a plotter that will do exactly that. There is a nice photo of a lake hanging on my wall that was plotted on canvas from a computer.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I have a feeling that Wags had Canti in mind THE ENTIRE time she was writing this thread. -Digi

Doubt it. I barely know her.
    edited Jul 2010
    I made a vid about something I'm good at, but my upload speed is 6 Kb/s....
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    haha, brilliant Canti!
    edited Jul 2010
    I have mad skillz at being an underachiever. Here's how I accomplish this.

1) Ask myself "Could I be doing more with my life?" If yes, go to step 2. If no, go to 5)
    2) Pour myself an alcoholic beverage.
    3) Consume said beverage.
    4) Go to step 1.
    5) Watch a movie, surf the Internet, read a book or sleep.
    edited Jul 2010
    Canti, make that into a life article!! :)
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Member
    edited Jul 2010
    I made a hot pink sparkly cape for my daughter...it involved throwing her on the ground and cutting around her, then sewing.

If I teach this to you all, I expect to see needles in your hand sewing along WITH me, not trying to stab your eyeballs out...and the capes must have sparkles on them too. (hot pink, optional)
    edited Jul 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:
    Canti, make that into a life article!! :)

I thought I just did! :( Oh god how make article!?
    Wattyz wrote:
    not trying to stab your eyeballs out

I PROMISE NOTHING.
    edited Jul 2010
    Calling Primesuspect! Help Canti turn that post into a life article!! :)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Wattyz wrote:
    I made a hot pink sparkly cape for my daughter...it involved throwing her on the ground and cutting around her, then sewing.

If I teach this to you all, I expect to see needles in your hand sewing along WITH me, not trying to stab your eyeballs out...and the capes must have sparkles on them too. (hot pink, optional)

In lieu of daughters, can I co-opt random children for cape-making shenanigans? I don't know that their parents would be happy with me brandishing scissors near children though.
    edited Jul 2010
    for some reason I thought you said random chicken...wow, I need more coffee.
    edited Jul 2010
    Children shaped chicken?
    edited Aug 2010
    Made a little vid about some useful knots. The quality is so-so, and I didn't intend to flip it upside down like that, but here goes (I ran out of space on my camera for part 2):

Part 1:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="370" id="viddlerplayer-f32338b7"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/f32338b7/" /><param name="autoplay" value="f" /><param name="disablebranding" value="f" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="name" value="viddlerplayer-f32338b7" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/f32338b7/" width="437" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="autoplay=f&disablebranding=f" name="viddlerplayer-f32338b7" ></embed></object>

Part 2:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="370" id="viddlerplayer-adfced98"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/adfced98/" /><param name="autoplay" value="f" /><param name="disablebranding" value="f" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="name" value="viddlerplayer-adfced98" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/adfced98/" width="437" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="autoplay=f&disablebranding=f" name="viddlerplayer-adfced98" ></embed></object>
    edited Aug 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Children shaped chicken?

Needs more Sriracha
    edited Aug 2010
    @Jokke that was surprisingly cool. Well done, sir.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I really enjoyed the vids Jokke, would certainly welcome more in this series :)
    edited Aug 2010
    pragtastic wrote:

^This

I never did boy scouts so I never learned knots. I also enjoy hearing you say your name. Well done Jokke.

-Digi
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indyerner Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I make babies.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    And I make lolz.
    edited Aug 2010
    I make Enchiladas. http://tweetphoto.com/40827773

I'll totally make a video next time.

-Digi
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited Aug 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I make Enchiladas. http://tweetphoto.com/40827773

I'll totally make a video next time.

-Digi

Holly Crap! I made these last night and have the left overs in my lunch box!!! Co-incidence????
  • CannonFodderCannonFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    pragtastic wrote:

Jokke,

You are very good at making instructional videos sir. You talked slowly and clearly, and you gave very clear and understandable instructions.

Well done!
    edited Aug 2010
    Jokke,

You are very good at making instructional videos sir. You talked slowly and clearly, and you gave very clear and understandable instructions.

Well done!

Thank you. I will try to make some more if I find the time and interest.
    edited Aug 2010
    I make risotto
    edited Aug 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    I make risotto
    Artsy food pics and directions much like a good food blog or it didn't happen.
    edited Aug 2010
    Pssh... how come you pick out my post for that and not the enchiladas post?

(I don't have the needed equipment OR skills for artsy food pics)
    edited Aug 2010
    im from TX so enchiladas are no big thing and risotta sounds much fancier
    edited Aug 2010
    I'm so glad I started this thread. It has so much win. A lot of you should seriously think about creating Life articles. :)