If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Skillz

Comments

• WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Calling Primesuspect! Help Canti turn that post into a life article!! :)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Jul 2010
    Wattyz wrote:
    I made a hot pink sparkly cape for my daughter...it involved throwing her on the ground and cutting around her, then sewing.

If I teach this to you all, I expect to see needles in your hand sewing along WITH me, not trying to stab your eyeballs out...and the capes must have sparkles on them too. (hot pink, optional)

In lieu of daughters, can I co-opt random children for cape-making shenanigans? I don't know that their parents would be happy with me brandishing scissors near children though.
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Member
    edited Jul 2010
    for some reason I thought you said random chicken...wow, I need more coffee.
    edited Jul 2010
    Children shaped chicken?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    Made a little vid about some useful knots. The quality is so-so, and I didn't intend to flip it upside down like that, but here goes (I ran out of space on my camera for part 2):

Part 1:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="370" id="viddlerplayer-f32338b7"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/f32338b7/" /><param name="autoplay" value="f" /><param name="disablebranding" value="f" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="name" value="viddlerplayer-f32338b7" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/f32338b7/" width="437" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="autoplay=f&disablebranding=f" name="viddlerplayer-f32338b7" ></embed></object>

Part 2:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="370" id="viddlerplayer-adfced98"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/adfced98/" /><param name="autoplay" value="f" /><param name="disablebranding" value="f" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="name" value="viddlerplayer-adfced98" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/adfced98/" width="437" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="autoplay=f&disablebranding=f" name="viddlerplayer-adfced98" ></embed></object>
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Member
    edited Aug 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Children shaped chicken?

Needs more Sriracha
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    @Jokke that was surprisingly cool. Well done, sir.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I really enjoyed the vids Jokke, would certainly welcome more in this series :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    pragtastic wrote:

^This

I never did boy scouts so I never learned knots. I also enjoy hearing you say your name. Well done Jokke.

-Digi
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I make babies.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    And I make lolz.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I make Enchiladas. http://tweetphoto.com/40827773

I'll totally make a video next time.

-Digi
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited Aug 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I make Enchiladas. http://tweetphoto.com/40827773

I'll totally make a video next time.

-Digi

Holly Crap! I made these last night and have the left overs in my lunch box!!! Co-incidence????
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    pragtastic wrote:

Jokke,

You are very good at making instructional videos sir. You talked slowly and clearly, and you gave very clear and understandable instructions.

Well done!
    edited Aug 2010
    Jokke,

You are very good at making instructional videos sir. You talked slowly and clearly, and you gave very clear and understandable instructions.

Well done!

Thank you. I will try to make some more if I find the time and interest.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I make risotto
    edited Aug 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    I make risotto
    Artsy food pics and directions much like a good food blog or it didn't happen.
    edited Aug 2010
    Pssh... how come you pick out my post for that and not the enchiladas post?

(I don't have the needed equipment OR skills for artsy food pics)
    edited Aug 2010
    im from TX so enchiladas are no big thing and risotta sounds much fancier
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    I'm so glad I started this thread. It has so much win. A lot of you should seriously think about creating Life articles. :)
    edited Aug 2010
    risotto.jpg

Here's ur risotto. Totally not mine, looks better than mine did.

EDIT: Damnit... now I'm hungry.
    edited Aug 2010
    Om nom grom nommm
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    buuuuuuuuuump

We require more skillz!
    edited Apr 2011
    One day, I'll start posting like a wine snob ... been on a little binge of buying recently and got some shelving etc.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    Does being able to fight like a man count?
    edited Apr 2011
    Pics/videos with links to science!

*Cave Johnson*Cave here, today we are gonna learn about ass-kicking. The first rule of ass-kicking is to stop being such a little bitch
    edited Apr 2011
    What to do if you fall from a seagoing vessel:

1. Remain calm, panicking will not help. As you fall, if there's time, shut your eyes and mouth, and cover your face with your hands. You know what the first response of a person hitting water (especially cold) is? Gasping, and try to suck air. And that's not a good idea when you're under water, for obvious reasons. It's the same reaction as if someone suddenly pours a bucket of ice water over you, times three.

2. Try to kick or push away from the ships hull. The hull of a moving vessel will create suction, and you could get sucked under. Or not, depending on size and speed of the vessel.
    3. Hope someone has seen you fall.

4. If a lifebuoy is thrown out, try to make your way to it. There is a chance that this buoy is attached to a light and smoke device. Try to avoid the smoke, it's somewhat poisonous, but it's still better than drowning.

5. If you're close to the shore, depending on your physical shape, try to swim. If too far from the shore (over 500 meters, roughly quarter of a mile), stay where you are. Assume the fetal position. It will help you conserve body heat. If clothes start dragging you down, get rid of them. Otherwise, try to keep as much clothes on as possible. Move as little as possible. If you feel that you start sinking, alternate between using your feet and legs to keep afloat. If that's not enough, use both. DO NOT try to move to "keep warm". It will only increase the flow of water around you, which will cool you down faster, and it'll fatigue you.

6. In rough seas, try to keep your back to the waves. Use a hat or piece of clothing to cover your face. Not so you can't breathe, but enough to not get splashed too often.

7. If a helicopter or ship/boat comes to your rescue, wave and scream. If they don't see you, assume the fetal position again and wait. At least now you know they're looking.
    If/when they spot you, lie on your back and wait. If they have they slightest clue about their job, they'll do all the work for you. Don't try to enter the rescue craft by yourself. Trust that they have a plan for you.

8. NEVER GIVE UP!

I have been involuntarily in the water several times, and the above tips are based on personal experience. Feel free to add or comment if you feel I've missed something.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    Jokke, the fact that these tips came from personal experience only continues to bolster my respect for you. I've never really given too much thought to what I'd do if I fell overboard significantly far away from shore (I've been on many boats, but generally smaller ones and seldom more than a few miles from land). Thanks for the tips!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    This post could literally save someone's life someday. Thanks for making it.
    edited Apr 2011
    One thing you could add, is that if there are multiple people in the water and you are staying calm while the other(s) is not ... do not try to help them right away or you will risk both of you going down. That scene in "The Guardian" where Ashton Kutcher elbows his superior in the nose to knock him out is relevant, but I can't find a pic