Foursquare needs a community

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2010 in Lifestyle

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I agree whole-heartedly about Foursquare. It does feel "stalled". Adoption by venues isn't happening fast enough. I've been lurking around Yelp now for a a while. We recently chose a local spot to eat due to the reviews. I like the fact that it goes beyond the mere check-in. Feeling like you're a part of something is important. It keeps you engaged and wanting to come back for more. Great post. Always enjoy your writing.
  • edited September 2010
    You bring up really good points, Brian. I haven't explored Yelp's check-in features yet, but you've encouraged me to start experimenting with it. Thanks. :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Yelp is essentially the web 2.0 version of digital city. Ahhhh AOL, you can screw up anything! My best analogy for comparing the services, Foursquare is a toy, Yelp is a tool.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    So sick of Foursquare. It has turned Twitter into the "LOL I'M TAKING A POOP, I'M AT MCDONALDS, I'M AT BILLYBOB'S LAWNMOWER PALACE" cesspool everyone makes fun of Twitter for.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    So sick of Foursquare. It has turned Twitter into the "LOL I'M TAKING A POOP, I'M AT MCDONALDS, I'M AT BILLYBOB'S LAWNMOWER PALACE" cesspool everyone makes fun of Twitter for.

BillyBob's Lawnmower Palace!! ;D

redneck_pics_lawnmower.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    @Cliff I have one of those on order
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    I googled my address, and a FourSquare hit came up, and my townhouse is referred to as "The Chickens Coop" by the previous tenants. They also refer to getting your "shots" before you check in. I hate FourSquare even more after seeing that...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    You should flag it for deletion
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    E-mail sent to them for request for deletion. Wish they had a quick link on the page...
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    While I generally agree with you prime, I will point out that foursquare does also have venue tips... just few people use them.

DOUBLEDIT: I just realized what a tangent I got off on with this part of my comment. So I removed it. I blame lack of sleep. Move along, nothing to see here.
  • Sp00nmanSp00nman Ferndale, MI
    edited September 2010
    Funny thing, I got ousted as the mayor of my own business last night (after business hours). From someone I know has never been there. Even funnier, we aren't open to the public yet, so I found it amusing and sad that this person just drove by and said, "sure, I'll check in there".

I have been using the Facebook places check-in lately. Similar, but allows more "community" - you are clearly correct in your observation.
  • edited September 2010
    You are right about Yelp in comparison to Foursquare. I am not in the habit of checking in every time I am out. I just don't do it because I was never really a fan of the geo location stuff to begin with.

But Yelp does foster a lot of useful information. I have an account but have yet to write a review. I think Foursquare might have to be a little bit more mainstream for it to take off. It definitely lacks community... but when you get that swarm badge you are definitely excited.