PS3 remotes serial numbers??? Help

edited September 2010 in Hardware
Hi

I have a new PS3, (actually my son). I have the serial number. Is there any way to find serial number of the remote that came with the PS3? My son claims his friend switched his old PS3 remote with my son's new one, only a week old. Is there any way I can find serial number to verify if I already threw out the box? The only thing I can see is the one that the kid "claims" is his, has a visible pressure mark on the start button, similar to the pressure marks the computer keys get that are used most frequently. I don't think my son's brand new remote could have that mark because it is less than one week old? Any suggestions? My son said the one the kid pawned off on him is already sticking (buttons) and my son's was not sticking? Help? Had a big scene with parents and they did not understand why it even mattered?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    lunalas wrote:
    Hi

I have a new PS3, (actually my son). I have the serial number. Is there any way to find serial number of the remote that came with the PS3? My son claims his friend switched his old PS3 remote with my son's new one, only a week old. Is there any way I can find serial number to verify if I already threw out the box? The only thing I can see is the one that the kid "claims" is his, has a visible pressure mark on the start button, similar to the pressure marks the computer keys get that are used most frequently. I don't think my son's brand new remote could have that mark because it is less than one week old? Any suggestions? My son said the one the kid pawned off on him is already sticking (buttons) and my son's was not sticking? Help? Had a big scene with parents and they did not understand why it even mattered?

Sorry, I meant, the one the kid tried to leave with us had a visible pressure mark on start button, so I figured that must be the older of the 2 remotes, and therefore that one must belong to the kid and my son's is only a week old and has no pressure marks on buttons.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    The controllers that come shipped with the PS3 are generic from Sony, and is not serialnumberwise connected to that PS3. A quick Google search reveals that all Sixaxis controllers (the one that comes with the PS3 originally) has only one serial number: SCPH-98040/CECHZC1.
    As for the problem with the kids switching the controllers, I unfortunately can't help you. Let me know if this is the answer you were looking for, and welcome to Icrontic.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Buy your kid a new one of different color and chalk it up to slimy little friend who is not welcome in the house any more...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261183
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261182
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2010
    You could check the batteries. I personally don't know what kinds they ship with. But if your sons is new and this friends is old there's a chance he may have had to change the batteries in it and they won't be the stock ones that come with the PS3. Other then that you'll have to fight it out.

For future ref though like it's been said buy a different coloured controller or just put some white out on the bottoms some where. White out works awesome for labeling stuff.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2010
    If the other parents claim they cant see what the problem is and it doesn't matter what controller their son has then ask if you can swap back. If they mean what they say and it doesn't matter then they should have no problems swapping.