How to mod the MadCatz SE Fightstick

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Which bottom part are you talking about exactly? The restrictor plate?
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited September 2010
    gabe wrote:
    I plan to buy the same controller (PS3 and all) and I plan on buying the same parts he bought (Different colors, though). Does the JLW stick come with the bottom part, and such? Also, can anybody make me a good art for my stick? Thanks :D

If you plan on buying a "JLW" and not a "JLF" then refer to the post above you.

If you choose to go with the "JLF" they make a drop-in replacement that is 100% compatible with the MadCatz SE used in the video. The power connector is in the proper orientation and the mounting bracket can be used without any changing anything. Just note that you ought to get Snap-in pushbuttons instead of screw-ins or else you will have to sand down the lugnut of the button in the "x" position.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm gonna go with the JLF. Do I need to buy a new restrictor plate? I play BlazBlue and I hear I need an octagonal one or something?

Also, you know anyone that can make me art for the stick?
    edited September 2010
    Might as well buy an octogonal gate. They're inexpensive, and pretty easy to swap out. You can try both and decide which one you like.

No clue who can do the art for you though. You could comission someone on Deviant Art, or you could look around the shoryuken forums.
  • edited September 2010
    Okay, thanks guys :P

Appreciate it ^^
  • Joe
    edited September 2010
    Thanks a lot for the easy-to-follow tutorial. I just ordered the Sanwa parts, including the octagonal gate. I'll try this on my Xbox 360 version this week. I'm sure it'll be almost exactly the same.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi. Thanks for this helpful tutorial. I followed it to the letter (including purchasing the parts specified from Lizard), but I'm having a problem.

Everything on my PS3 Sanwa modified Madcatz SE fightstick works perfectly--except for the Joystick. I can't get any reading from it at all. I tried opening it and reconnecting the harness, gluing it together, so on. Even tried installing the original Joystick piece and seeing if it would work, and nothing.

It doesn't look like any of the cords or circuitry were damaged during the modification. Have you heard of this before? Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
  • edited October 2010
    Also, on the dp and ls switch settings, down on the stick works, but nothing else. Weird; what the hell am I doing wrong?
    edited October 2010
    That's odd, I haven't run into anything like that before.

So the original stick no longer functions when re-installed?

hmm... that doesn't sound good.

Though I don't know if this would acctually affect anything, I wonder if one of the pushbuttons are causing a conflict. Try pulling all of the quick disconnects on the pushbuttons so just the stick is connected to the PCB, and see if it responds then.
  • edited November 2010
    Hey Nice tutorial, I've yet to buy the SE, or the parts,but about how much do the Sangwa parts go for?
    And where could I buy some?
    Thank you for your time.
  • edited November 2010
    Sanwa*
    edited November 2010
    As stated in the article's text, everything you need to buy can be found at http://www.lizardlick.com/. Pretty low prices for everything.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks I just saw that haha
    One last thing, the type of buttons and joystick, is that the type that will work for all Madcatz SE sticks? or Do they change?
    (I have a 360)
  • edited November 2010
    So octagon and circle gates are different? What is JLF & JLW? :[
  • edited November 2010
    Also, what size ball will I need for the "Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT-SK Joystick" you mentioned? Thank you.
    edited November 2010
    Jorge, the type of pushbuttons used are consistent across all types of SE fight sticks.

Oneironaut, octagon gates have eight "corners" to help guide the stick in directions. Circle gates have no "corners" at all, it is smooth for the entire 360 degree rotation.

JLF and JLW are two different types of joysticks. Just one look will tell you the difference:

JLW, JLF

You need the JLF.

Any Sanwa ball offered on Lizard Lick will fit on the JLF. They have a standardized screw size, but you can get whatever size ball that you prefer.
  • edited November 2010
    TY for the quick reply! so are there circle gate restrictors for the madcatz se stick? THANKS!!
  • edited November 2010
    oh i found that the circular restrictor plates are only for the jlw stick, is there any difference in installing a jlw from the jlf?
  • edited November 2010
    ok so the circle gates are pretty much the same ones used at the arcades? & according to the posts above i will need a jlw stick b/c the jlf dont have circle gates right? are there any like pros and cons of having the circular vs the octagonal? & is the process the same of installing the jlw as installing the jlf? TY!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Everyone knows the proper way to play Street Fighter is on an old Happ Bat Top.
  • edited November 2010
    nvm.. i'm probably just going to do the jlf... even in the arcades lets say im blocking diagonally (left & down) sometimes I still get hit. Where as if I get the octagon gate I will be able to hear the "click" when i'm holding left & down, correct?
    edited November 2010
    Oneironaut wrote:
    oh i found that the circular restrictor plates are only for the jlw stick, is there any difference in installing a jlw from the jlf?

See my earlier post.
    Oneironaut wrote:
    ok so the circle gates are pretty much the same ones used at the arcades? & according to the posts above i will need a jlw stick b/c the jlf dont have circle gates right? are there any like pros and cons of having the circular vs the octagonal? & is the process the same of installing the jlw as installing the jlf? TY!

If the cabs are using American sticks chances are the sticks are either a Happ Super (bat top 4/8-way), Happ Ultimate (bat top retarded 8-way), Competition (bat top 8-way, or p360 (bat top 360)

If the cabs are using Japanese sticks then nine out of ten times its a Sanwa JLF with a 4-way gate. People who are used to American sticks usually try for the 8-way since its closer in feel to what they are used to.

Pros & Cons : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILkn4xSQ4mc
    TL:DW use a 4-way. the stick throws (movements) are shorter in general and itll teach you better execution. Its become the universal standard.
    Oneironaut wrote:
    nvm.. i'm probably just going to do the jlf... even in the arcades lets say im blocking diagonally (left & down) sometimes I still get hit. Where as if I get the octagon gate I will be able to hear the "click" when i'm holding left & down, correct?

if you are getting hit while holding down-back you are 1) not holding down back. 2) hitting buttons and getting stuffed. 3) stick is problematic.

if you are using a JLF you can hear the "click" whenever you throw the stick and it "registers" an input.

TL: DR suck it up and use a 4-way itll pay off for you in the long run. dont use a JLW and / or a circle gate. they suck.
    edited November 2010
    ^what he said.
  • edited November 2010
    Eggroll you have convinced me to try the square gate.. I will order the octagon gate anyway.. just in case.. Last question: The Seimitsu bubble tops also work with the se stick? and do they glow? Thank you!
    edited November 2010
    Oneironaut wrote:
    Eggroll you have convinced me to try the square gate.. I will order the octagon gate anyway.. just in case.. Last question: The Seimitsu bubble tops also work with the se stick? and do they glow? Thank you!

the Seimitsu bubble tops, seimitsu 30mm balltops, san35mm balltops, 40mm large balltop, the chrome balltops, or w/e balltop will work on the JLF stick.

they do not glow unless you add a custom light kit which is an incredible hard thing to do.
  • edited November 2010
    do any bat tops work with the jlf?..
  • edited December 2010
    Idk if anyone still visits this place but I just got my buttons from lizardlick. I did order the right ones bc I clicked on the direct link from the site. I don't know why but the Sanwa buttons aren't able to pop right in. I've tried taking all the crappy ones out and inserting the Sanwa ones into every single hole. Even if I force it to pop in, on the face of the arcade stick it's still a few mm out. Halp plz!
    edited December 2010
    I had to push VERY hard on my sanwa pushbuttons to get them to lock into the face of the fightstick. It hurt. They eventually snap into place, but they took serious force for me.
  • edited December 2010
    Got it under control. I used an xacto knife to shave a bit of the bumps from the buttons. Thank you :]
    edited December 2010
    Oneironaut wrote:
    Got it under control. I used an xacto knife to shave a bit of the bumps from the buttons. Thank you :]

congrats. you should take a picture and post it up.