Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    as if! My home next to home tree (and for that matter, home tree itself) were built completely legit using self-mined materials.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    CB wrote:
    The floating garden / greenhouse is almost complete. I need some help to overcome the lack of buckets. I need a water feature up there, but without a working bucket, I need it to be spawned for me, so next time Thrax and I are on the server at the same time, the garden will get its finishing touches.

Also, I just noted that anyone with with the skin that makes the glass look like cross hatched wood, will likely not find the garden to be as attractive.

Also note that, other than the water I need Thrax to spawn for me, all of my materials and display items were gathered and/or manufactured without material spawn cheats. :D

I think the hanging garden actually looks very good, even with updated glass graphics. I commented on it to others! Great job!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    For mapping the server, http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_Editors. If someone came up with something that used google maps API to make a map that would be incredible.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Thrax, I will be around tonight, lets arrange the uploading of the data file.

Although maybe tonight would be bad, maybe we can work later this afternoon so this evening nobody would be without the game.

I can provide FTP space if necessary.
    edited October 2010
    http://www.minecraft.net/boo/

Lets just say, Oct 31st during ICOK is going to get nuts.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Question mostly for Thrax: since there's a lot of man-hours going into our little playground, how protected is our Minecraft world from data loss or file corruption? Is there some sort of backup system already in place?

I assume you're already aware of these (since you're the game's official Jesus apparently), but here's a link to some of the backup utilities.

I personally would feel sweet relief if I knew my "masterpieces" were safe from the jaws of creepers the likes we have never seen before. Or hard drive crashes. Whatever. :D
    edited October 2010
    The Minecraft server itself is configured to save every half hour (sooner can cause performance issues; the server isn't exactly stable).

I perform backups every 24 hours.
    edited October 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The Minecraft server itself is configured to save every half hour (sooner can cause performance issues; the server isn't exactly stable).

I perform backups every 24 hours.

Sweet! You are indeed our Minecraftian Superhero. And, thanks. :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    If there's anybody who dicks around SP like I do when nobody else is around and does so on multiple machines, here's a useful thought: I started playing on one machine, dropped my savegame into my Dropbox, and used symlinks on all my machines to make my Minecraft installs all point to the same savegame folder on DB, always backed up to the cloud. :D

I need to get in on this multi stuff at some point - anybody going to be around this weekend that feels like gallumping around with a damn foreigner?
    edited October 2010
    Snark, if this weekend is anything like last weekend, the server will have people playing at almost every hour of each day.
    edited October 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Snark, if this weekend is anything like last weekend, the server will have people playing at almost every hour of each day.
    Provided we get it moved (the address will change) since Thrax's PC will be shutdown for moving ;)
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Too bad there isn't anything else like that around.

How do you think those 4 pillars above your maze got there?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Provided we get it moved (the address will change) since Thrax's PC will be shutdown for moving ;)
    To reiterate, and this is the last time I'll toot my horn, I can host it on my server that has FTP running (for the transfer) and has nearly 100% uptime. I don't even recall if I've rebooted anytime in last 3-4 weeks after getting some patches and getting folding working. Just offering to help
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I have started constructing my fortress in the side of a mountain, complete with tunnels to various corners and a natural outcropping that will be my secondary lookout tower.

This is almost as dangerous a game to my productivity as Civ 5.
    edited October 2010
    Updated OP with a link to a newspaper article that articulates the form, function and majesty of Minecraft. Also updated OP with a link to the October 31 patch.
    edited October 2010
    Courtesy of Thrax, here's a link to an isometric view of the map.

Welcome to the Icrontinent.

Enjoy your stay. :vimp:
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    lol, you can actually read a few of our player's signs from that view :D
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Sweet... I can see my tower I built last night. Too cool.

Edit: Is anyone else unable to smelt? I'm trying to make some glass blocks for windows in my mountain fortress, but the sand never starts going. The furnace kicks on with the coal, though.
    edited October 2010
    @ADG, T_T had the same issue, he could not see the finished product in one of his furnaces, but I could so I gave him the materials. Just going to have to chalk it up to a still glitchy MP game.

I have noticed that you don't always see the animation of the fire being lit in the interface or on the furnace itself. How long did you leave it? Glass takes about as long to "smelt" as the clear rock does from cobblestone (aka, like 30 - 40 seconds per unit)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Wanna smelt faster? Power your furnace with lava.
    edited October 2010
    Buckets are broken though, you have to ask Thrax for lava.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I was working on smelting a bunch of glass and the arrow did not give progress at all, stayed blank, but it was still placing finished blocks in the yield box. If the flames on the smelting window are burning or the furnace externally shows fire it is working.

Just give it time my son. Yes yes, it will all go according to plan. mmmwwwwwuuuuahahahahahah.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I get flames and consumption of the coal, but nothing ever shows up in the yield box. I left it running while I went to a meeting and it was still nothing after about 30 min.

Definitely busted for me.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I was under the impression that lava simply burned longer, not any faster.
    edited October 2010
    pragtastic wrote:
    I was under the impression that lava simply burned longer, not any faster.
    This
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Pffft. I did it multiple times last night. Jumped down my mine, scooped up lava in mah buket, and stuck it in the forge. It eats the buket, but that's no big deal.

minecraftbuket.jpg
    edited October 2010
    According to the Minecraft Wiki article on the Furnace, the fuel you select (between wood-based products, coal, or lava) only affects how much you can smelt. It has no effect on speed, as it seems that every operation takes 10 seconds (though it seemed longer than that to me).

For comparison, here's a chart that I ripped from the wiki. In summary, at the cost of your iron bucket (which itself costs 3 iron bars), you get 12.5 times the amount of smelting capacity as coal when you use lava.

Also, while lava is badass and all, consider using wood planks. A stack of 43 planks will smelt a full stack of 64 things (like, 64 sand blocks into 64 glass blocks). Drop the stack, walk away, come back later. Trees are renewable, whereas coal and iron (needed for buckets, for lava) are a limited resource in existing quarries and take more effort to locate and harvest. Yeah, you can always run out further into the infinite map and mine, but it's easier to just chop wood, plant saplings outside your house, repeat.

<table border="1" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><th width="50">Fuel </th><th width="100">Burning Time </th><th width="150">Number of Operations per Fuel </th><th width="150">Amount to Light a Furnace All Night </th><th width="150">Seconds per Log </th></tr> <tr> <th>Coal </th><td>80s
    </td><td>8
    </td><td>6.75
    </td><td>-
    </td></tr> <tr> <th>Plank </th><td>15s
    </td><td>1.5
    </td><td>36
    </td><td>60s
    </td></tr> <tr> <th>Stick </th><td>5s
    </td><td>0.5
    </td><td>108
    </td><td>40s</td></tr> <tr> <th>Log </th><td>15s
    </td><td>1.5
    </td><td>36
    </td><td>15s
    </td></tr> <tr> <th>Workbench </th><td>15s
    </td><td>1.5
    </td><td>36
    </td><td>15s
    </td></tr> <tr> <th>Chest </th><td>15s
    </td><td>1.5
    </td><td>36
    </td><td>7.5s
    </td></tr> <tr> <th>Lava Bucket </th><td>1000s
    </td><td>100
    </td><td>0.54
    </td><td>-
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    So the game is teaching green economics?
    edited October 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    So the game is teaching green economics?

KERMIT_EASY_BEING_GREEN_2.JPG
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Good to know CB. I'm glad there is somewhere on the server that was built only from self mined materials. Too bad there isn't anything else like that around. People these days are so lazy. Glad we have a shining star to follow.

Come see the mine near my place.
This discussion has been closed.