Dr. Martens for Life: Forever Boots

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited March 2013 in Style

Comments

• rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited March 2010
    I remember getting a pair of Docs when I hit 18. It lasted me almost 5 years before the leather where the grommets (eyelets?) got a rip. Soon after the grommets (eyelets?) started to fall out. Haven't had a pair of boots since then that could match that quality.

I will definately pick up one of these very soon. Hopefully soon enough to "break em in" in this awful Cali rain.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Unf. Come to mama.
  • edited March 2010
    I wish the "Vintage" Doc's I bought 6 months ago were as good as the ones I bought through the 90's and into the early 2000's they are no where near as comfortable. Can't wear them for more than two days in a row before they begin to brake down and need to sit for a day or two to regenerate. The cushioning and fit still aren't right.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Make sure you register them with in the time limit or the warranty is void. Ive had my steal toed docs for 6 years now still wear and love'em
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I lost my last pair of Docs in the move, and lately I've been thinking about getting a new pair. Damn you Peter. Pusher of goods.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    These don't take much break-in. Unlike my previous pairs, the upper leather is much softer. You don't get that stiff ankle feeling in these.

Remember, they're only available online, and the price includes shipping ;) Get some!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I retired my 6-year old pair of Docs before these became available and moved on to Red Wings. The forever Docs look tempting, but I'm a huge fan of my Red Wings courier boots and an even bigger fan of having a national network of cobblers primed to assist me personally if I have any trouble with them.

-drasnor :fold:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Seems like a great all-purpose daily wear shoe. I was waiting for your review but I'm sold. I think I have a pair of "Forever Boots" in my future.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I reckon those docs are mighty comfortable, use to have a pair myself. However these days I stick to my cowboy boots.

/me spits on the ground.

In all seriousness, great article. I had no idea Docs had anything like this still, excellent find.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I've never owned a pair of docs. When I was in High School though I bought a pair of steel toed boots, don't remember what brand off-hand (Wolverine possibly but not sure), from the JC Penny shoe department. I've gone through about a half dozen laces on those boots. They survived 3 summers of golf course maintenance and then 5 1/2 years of trekking through the snow on my college campus. They're still in great condition. Sure they have scuffs on them but there's no holes, the soles are still solid and the grommets are all firmly in place. The only gripe I've had with them is that the foot of the boot is quite uncomfortable unless you have a decent insert in there. If Docs can do everything those boots did AND be comfortable at the same time, I might just be convinced to replace my work boots finally.
  • edited March 2010
    Did you order the tan or dark brown? It's hard to tell from your picture, but I certainly like the look of them. I'm going to be ordering soon. Thanks!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    I've never owned a pair of docs. When I was in High School though I bought a pair of steel toed boots, don't remember what brand off-hand (Wolverine possibly but not sure), from the JC Penny shoe department. I've gone through about a half dozen laces on those boots. They survived 3 summers of golf course maintenance and then 5 1/2 years of trekking through the snow on my college campus. They're still in great condition. Sure they have scuffs on them but there's no holes, the soles are still solid and the grommets are all firmly in place. The only gripe I've had with them is that the foot of the boot is quite uncomfortable unless you have a decent insert in there. If Docs can do everything those boots did AND be comfortable at the same time, I might just be convinced to replace my work boots finally.

To this day, my black Docs (Steel-toed oxfords) are still the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. Now 11 years running.
  • edited March 2010
    I was looking at the black version of this model mainly because I don't like the shiny black boots that are usually what Docs are. After looking at the pictures online, the black ones do look like a matte black. I know you got the brown ones, so you may not know this, but I was wondering if I'm right about the blacks being matte?
  • edited April 2010
    The black boots are matte.

I have a pair, bought a week ago at the Doc Marten's shop in Spitalfields market, London, UK.

They are super comfortable... but ... jury still out on their durability: area of boot, where it touches the back of one's heel, seems to be wearing away already!

Hmmm...
  • edited August 2010
    I bought a pair of those 'for life' shoes, just seems to good to be true and sadly even though they looked like real quality shoes I returned them after 2 days, one of the eyelets had a bad serrated edge which tore into the shoe flap. Maybe i just got unlucky, any way bought a pair of MIE DM's instead as i was not confident that the MIT DM's have got their QC in order yet.
  • edited September 2010
    My oldest pair of docs is 26 years old and still wearable, though I only lace them up on special occasions. Over the years I have bought about 20+ pairs of Docs and I love them. There have only been like one or two pairs were the quality really failed me, and when I say failed me, I mean I only had them in the rotation for 3-4 years.

When you apply that kind of standard, failure is not really so bad.

Just bought a pair of For Life 1461 for me, and a pair for my oldest daughter. I love them and it's nice knowing that I will be able to send them back when they wear out.
  • edited October 2010
    OK. After 6 months, my final verdict on Dr. Marten's For Life boots is ... they are not very good.

Plus Points:
    The leather is still superb.
    The soles are barely worn - and I walk a fair bit.

The Big, Fat Minus Point:
    The "Bouncing Sole". It bounced for about 3 weeks, and is now as bounce-free as concrete.
    I could go through the wearisome process of returning them, getting new/refurbished, etc., but, instead, it's back to cheap boots every few months for me.
  • edited October 2010
    I have never owned DM boots personally but I'm interested in getting a pair of For Life boots in the matte black. Can anyone tell me how water resistant they are?

Also, I'm wondering how Buddy J got free shipping on them?
    edited October 2010
    Being waxed leather, they're water resistant to the point where they shed it well in a downpour, but they'll soak through if you stand in a deep puddle or walk a mile through 3-foot snow drifts.

The shipping was included in the price when I purchased them online. The policy may have changed by now.
    edited October 2010
    So BuddyJ, after having them awhile, would you buy them again?
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, probably. I like them enough. I think that the value for the money is spot on.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Think I may have to get the shoe version. The new "Oxblood Smooth" style looks pretty good.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    Think I may have to get the shoe version. The new "Oxblood Smooth" style looks pretty good.

I think you should go for the Red Velvet version...
  • edited January 2011
    I bought the for life smooth black boots after returning a regular pair of black boots due to a defect. The finish started peeling off in the creases. Anyway, returned the other boots and got the for life boot. After one week I noticed a quarter size spot on the toe where the finish was gone. It peeled right off. I can literally rub the edges of the spot with my finger and the finish comes off. Waiting on Dr Martin to send another replacement pair. Hoping that my third pair of boots will actually last. Love the boots and the comfort. Not impressed yet with the quality. For the price I'd expect much more.
    edited January 2011
    Interesting observation. My boots, having a natural finish, don't have that problem.

I'm wearing them today. Still as soft as when they were new. I've got a pretty good size cut in the leather across one of the toes, but that's what you get for kicking sheet metal, right? So, at almost a year in I'm still going to advocate getting a pair.
  • edited July 2011
    I have recently bought a pair of smooth black 10-eyelet Doc Martens, but I've noticed that the finish is starting to peel off. I'm thinking about returning them, and investing in a pair from this For Life line.
    Question: The shoes themselves are $150, but how much is it to register for the warranty?
  • edited August 2011
    I bought my first pair of 'docs' today for $1! in a second hand shop.I know they are the old versions, made in England, and they are 1461s'3 eyes, except they don't have a stamp on the leather. I would love to know more about them.Im 17 and intend to wear them as long as i can :)How much do you think ive saved? and is there any indication as to how old they might be?
  • edited August 2011
    I need a pair of steel toed boots, are they?
    edited August 2011
    No. The For Life line doesn't contain any steel-toed boots. Dr. Marten's does however make many different styles of steel-toed boots and shoes, they just don't have the For Life warranty.
  • edited November 2011
    On my pair number 6 of these trying to get a non defective pair. numbers 1- 3 had the finish start to peel within the first month. Pair 4 popped 2 eyelets the second day I had them. Pair 5 had the sole start to separate from the top. Pair 6 is on my feet now. Hoping for the best but won't be surprised if I have to send these back soon. Poor quality control all around. Every pair I received looked and felt completely different. Some were shiny and some were dull almost matte finish. Some in between.