Please help..problem w/ Excel :(

edited November 2010 in Science & Tech
Hi. I urgently need to be able to view an Excel spreadsheet, but I'm having problems accessing it. Here's some background: I have Excel 2003, and I'm trying to view a spreadsheet that was created using Excel 2007 or later. The file was uploaded to a web site (the link to which I can provide) by the creator, and the link for said file begins with "http" and ends with "example.xlsx." I did some research and found that I needed to download and install something called "compatibility pack for the 2007 Office system" in order to view a .xlsx file, so I went ahead and installed it. Then, I clicked on the link on the web site to download the .xlsx file. When I did that, I was directed to either open or save a file called "example.zip". I saved it. Then, I navigated to this .zip file and opened it. Then, I clicked "extract all files" (I just had a feeling that I was supposed to do this). So now, I have 2 folders: example.zip and one called just "example." But within the latter folder, I can't see where or how I'm supposed to find the relevant spreadsheet (there is no "example.xlsx" file within this folder, which I'm guessing is what I need to open, since that was the name of the uploaded file on the web site). Here is what I DID find in this "example" folder: a subfolder called "_rels" (which contains a file called ".rels", which is an XML document), a subfolder called "docProps" (which contains a file called "app.xml" and one called "core.xml"), and a subfolder called "xl". This last subfolder contains 3 folders itself: one is called "_rels" (which contains a file called "workbook.xml.rels"), one is called "theme" (which contains a file called "Theme1.xml), and the last is called "worksheets" (which contains 3 files called "sheet1.xml", "sheet2.xml", and "sheet3.xml."). Along with these 3 folders ("_rels", "theme", and "worksheets"), the "xl" folder contains the following 3 files: "sharedstrings.xml", "styles.xml", and "workbook.xml." The final item within the "example" folder is a file called "[content_types].xml" (the other three items in the "example" folder are the subfolders "_rels", "docprops", and "xl"). As a note, every time I try to open a .xml file, I just get taken to a webpage with funny-looking code on it. I would be so extremely grateful to anyone who can help me locate and open the relevant spreadsheet. I hope there is some way to do it that does not involve me purchasing Office 2007 or later. As another note, if and when I'm able to open the relevant spreadsheet, I'll need to be able to edit it. Please help!

Thanks very much for anybody's time...

Comments

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Office makes life so much fun. xlsx uses the zip compression format. Just rename your .zip file to .xlsx and it should open right up. Good luck!
  • edited November 2010
    Wow...thank you so much for your help! I was holding my breath after I renamed it .xlsx and it actually worked...can't thank you enough.