Outlook is confused. Really.

SpampySpampy Madison, WI
edited November 2010 in Science & Tech
Hey guys,

Having a bit of an issue with Outlook 2003 on a new computer that I just built with my father. I was able to install Office 2003 on Windows 7 x64, and it works fine for my mom's account. When I try to open Outlook on my dad's account, it complains that it doesn't have the right to open alex.pst. This is bizarre, since that's my pst, and obviously he doesn't have the rights to open it because it isn't in his user folder. I can't seem to google a solution for this, so maybe you guys have an idea or two as to why this is this way?

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Does Outlook open for him at all? Have you tried closing alex.pst after selecting "cancel" several times when it's opening?
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited November 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Does Outlook open for him at all? Have you tried closing alex.pst after selecting "cancel" several times when it's opening?

There is no alex.pst, as far as I know. I haven't opened outlook at all on my profile, so unless it's created one without my knowledge then there isn't one. I'm pretty sure there is only an "ok" choice on the dialog bog when the error comes up, I can verify this if you want.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2010
    Go into control panel>mail> create your dad's email account.

Then try and open up outlook.
    edited November 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Go into control panel>mail> create your dad's email account.

Then try and open up outlook.

Thanks for reminding me this exists. I had to use it to export my mom's PST from the old computer, and I used the mail thing to make my dad his own PST file and then changed where the mail is delivered in outlook so that it would go to the new PST I made for him. It works fine now, and thanks for your help. Any idea why it did that?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2010
    Best guess some how the data file for his account profile was linked to your pst file. Maybe if you were doing some account migrations or user switching or something to that effect it could have got messed up, maybe. I dunno. I've been doing this long enough to sometimes just let it go at 'fixed is fixed' and not worry about the why or the how.
    edited November 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Best guess some how the data file for his account profile was linked to your pst file. Maybe if you were doing some account migrations or user switching or something to that effect it could have got messed up, maybe. I dunno. I've been doing this long enough to sometimes just let it go at 'fixed is fixed' and not worry about the why or the how.

Having been working with computers for the past 15 years or so, I'll agree. Especially with Windows.