Motherboard wont take more than one RAM.

edited November 2010 in Hardware
Hello ,
I have recently upgraded both my graphics card and my power supply unit . After doing that i havent been able to boot up my pc unless i take out one RAM card , and leaving one ( i have a 1 GB + a 2GB ). Im pretty sure none of the RAM cards is busted since they both work flawlessly if theyre set up to work alone :P . also i tried different slots and i can assure you none of the slots is faulty.
What exactly happens when 2 RAMs are installed is that when windows boots up the screen colors are seriously messed up . everything is red , low res , no mouse pointer ... etc.
How can i fix this ?
Also i have noticed my pc notifies me for " new hardware " everytime it boots up ( PCI / sound / .. ) . even though i have installed drivers for the graphics card .
Oh , if this is helpful , i have upgraded to a Geforce GT240 1GB DDR5 , and a 550W PSU .

Thank you .

SPECS :
Intel E8200 @ 2.66
2Gb RAM
Geforce GT240
Windows XP service pack 2.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    EDIT :
    thread title isnt exactly accurate . WINDOWS wont take more than one RAM sounds better :P
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    What motherboard do you have?

Have you determined which stick could be giving you trouble by trying to boot with each independently? Once, you do that what are the specifications of the stick of RAM giving you trouble and the one that works properly?
  • edited November 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    What motherboard do you have?

Have you determined which stick could be giving you trouble by trying to boot with each independently? Once, you do that what are the specifications of the stick of RAM giving you trouble and the one that works properly?

Umm sorry but how can i determine what motherboard i have ? ^^"
    Also , sorry if my post wasn't clear but i have already done what you said to determine which stick is giving me trouble . And both proved to work flawlessly if they were installed one at a time , at whatever slot :) . However when both are installed i would get messed up screen colors :S .
  • edited November 2010
    " Board: 0AB8 " Is this it ?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    That won't be what he is looking for. Boot into Windows and use CPUZ to find out what your motherboard's info and RAM info is through their Mainboard and Memory tabs (do this with each RAM stick separately). After that, I would download either Memtest 86+ or UBCD and use Memtest to test both RAM sticks together, then separately.
  • edited November 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    That won't be what he is looking for. Boot into Windows and use CPUZ to find out what your motherboard's info and RAM info is through their Mainboard and Memory tabs (do this with each RAM stick separately). After that, I would download either Memtest 86+ or UBCD and use Memtest to test both RAM sticks together, then separately.
    Okay ,
    MAINBOARD
    Motherboard :-
    Manufacturer : MSI
    Model : 0AB8
    Chipset: Intel Q33 Rev:A2
    Southbirdge : Intel 82801lb(ICH9)
    LPCIO :Winbond W83627DHG

BIOS : - Brand : Phoenix Technologies , LTD
    Version : MS7352 1.09
    Date : 02/26/2008

Graphic Interface :
    Version : PCI-Express
    Link Width : x16 Max supported : x16
    MEMORY
    General :
    Type : DDR2Channels # : Single
    Size : 2048 Megabytes

Timings :
    DRAM Frequency : 333.3 Mhz
    FSB:DRAM : 1:1
    CAS# Latency ( CL ) : 5.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay : (tRCD ) : 5 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) : 5 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) : 15 clocks
    Row Refresh Cycle Time : (tRFC) : 44 clocks
    Command Rate(CR) : 2T

The thing is , when i have both RAM sticks installed together , i can barely see the screen ( it is seriously messed up ) . So im not sure i can run that test . i can do it seperately though .
    Any thoughts why this is happening ? Everything was going alright before i upgraded my graphics card and PSU . :(
    Thanks again
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    If you are running memtest, this will not be in Windows. It is either a bootable CD or USB. I doubt your screen will be particularly messed up while running it but it is possible, I suppose. Try running it separately then.