One, Two, Or Three Monitors??

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited February 2011 in Hardware
Dug my grave (deeper) by picking up 3 x Evga GTX 470 SCs from my usual source of "accidental wins". At any rate had never thought of going multi monitor as I have been more busy building and breaking systems than using them. :o

However......... with the above GPUs in the stable and a move coming that will get me down to just one maybe two running systems got another wild hair.

So to filll the hole with me in it - Replace my old dell 24" (these are based on pricing opportunities only) and was wondering about if I should go with either 2 x 24" (Samsung BX244X) or one 27" (P2770H)??? Do realize the 24" is an LED unit......:confused:

It is to be used for gaming and then the usual stuff.......and will be mated with this

Mobo: MSI NF980-G65
CPU: PII X6 1055T
Memory: G. Skill Trident F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD

Also how does one do FPSs with the two monitors anyway?? Seems to me the bezels will be where you "sight picture" would be?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2010
    2 monitors. Once you go 2 it's hard to imagine going without.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited November 2010
    Okay, won't let me edit.....that be a BX2440X folks!! :rolleyes:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    You can't game on both monitors on any current market solution. You must choose which monitor you want the game to go on, and you can put anything you want on the other--I pick movies, shows, browsing or chat.

Get two monitors, not one. The 2x24" will probably be cheaper than the 27", it will offer more usable working space, and numerous studies have scientifically proven increased productivity and satisfaction from multiple displays.
    edited November 2010
    Interesting.......thought gaming was available on multi screens, especially when running 2 or 3 x SLI???? :confused2 Oh well....

BTW forgot the three in the "Three" of the title.....3 x EX2220X.
    edited November 2010
    Gaming is available if you run three displays. Nobody--not NVIDIA or AMD--support gaming across two monitors, for precisely the reason you cited: the bezel dominates the center of the POV.
    edited November 2010
    Well all of the units I've shown are "Referbs" and below is the prices.......but looks like the 20" will win by "default" for gaming and for fitting on the desk!!!! :rolleyes2

27" = $269
    24" = $209 x 2
    20" = $149 x 3

Looked at 22" but they were as much as the 24" for all intents and purposes!
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Dosen't ATI eyefinity allow you to game on 3 monitors?
    edited November 2010
    AMD Eyefinity technology: 3-6 monitors, 1 or more GPUs needed.
    NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround: 3 monitors max, 2 or more GPUs needed.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Here is the info on setting up 2D or 3D Vision Surround.

With 3 monitors the control panel has options for setting up the bezel width of the monitors.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2667

Gonna be some sweet surround gaming. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I run 3 monitors on 2 GTX580's. I will never go back to 1 monitor for gaming. I will also be unable to go back to 2 monitors for work. But only a handful of games look good on 3 screens, I typically run most of my games in windowed mode across 2 screens rez for gaming. 3840x1080 I use the extra space on both side for web browsing, Vent and other things. I do play BFBC2 across all 3 screens along with MoH and a handful of other titles.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Sledgehammer 70, your screen set up looks very impressive.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Sledge, please tell me you at least got one FREE EVGA GTX580... cause spending $1000+ on video cards is just....well...can I borrow $10?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    Sledge, please tell me you at least got one FREE EVGA GTX580... cause spending $1000+ on video cards is just....well...can I borrow $10?

I sold my GTX 480's for more than the GTX580's were. It is amazing on how you can get your money back when selling outside of the US. Crap some parts of the world still don't have 480's let along 580's.
    edited November 2010
    ah, good plan there sir.
    edited November 2010
    I run 3 monitors on 2 GTX580's. I will never go back to 1 monitor for gaming. I will also be unable to go back to 2 monitors for work. But only a handful of games look good on 3 screens, I typically run most of my games in windowed mode across 2 screens rez for gaming. 3840x1080 I use the extra space on both side for web browsing, Vent and other things. I do play BFBC2 across all 3 screens along with MoH and a handful of other titles.

Sledge.......:respect:........which Acers are those??
    edited November 2010
    With trying to justify a 3 x monitor setup I have the same two issues as most……price & space. Something I’ve noticed that when going under 21”, resolution goes from 1920 x 1080 to 1600 x 900p.

So what am I “losing” by dropping to this? :confused2
    edited November 2010
    1600x900? What weird resolution is that?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    It's a common resolution for laptop displays.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Thrax wrote:

attachment.php?attachmentid=28673&stc=1&d=1290438983

The best resolution.
    edited November 2010
    lul. Well-played.
    edited November 2010
    Samsung BX2050 20" wide screen

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS20B5UVFN/ZA Look at theDisplay

Display
    250 cd/m² Brightness
    16.7 M Colors Supported
    1000:1Typical Contrast Ratio
    20" Screen Size
    MEGA DCR Dynamic Contrast Ratio
    1,600 x 900 Resolution
    5ms Resonse Time
    170Ëš / 160Ëš (CR > 10) Viewing Angle

And this is typical of all the widescreens under 21" that I came across! :crazy:
    edited November 2010
    Why get a 20" when 22" are so dirt cheap?
    edited November 2010
    Cheap is realitive when your buying three behind the wife's back and your L shaped desk is only 40" wide and one is trying to also have the 'puter up there for people to see! ;D:rolleyes2

The real kicker right now is the 22" I want is 149 and a refurb and the 'egg has just thorwn out a nice 24" brand new that ends up being 199...............
    edited November 2010
    Just occurs to me that if you're willing to buy 1600x900, you're buying your way back into last millennium. 1600x900 is smaller than any 19" CRT (1600x1200).
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    If I was buying wide aspect displays for Eyefinity, I'd be tempted to put them in portrait mode.
    edited November 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    If I was buying wide aspect displays for Eyefinity, I'd be tempted to put them in portrait mode.

i like that idea, 3240x1920 instead of 5760x1080
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Do Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround support different resolutions on monitors?

Like supporting a 1920x1200 for center screen, and 1600x1200 to the left and right? Or hell, even non-matching vertical resolutions? I'd like to use what I have lying around, and not worry about whether the dpi or res. is consistent.
    edited November 2010
    I cannot speak to NV's solution, but Eyefinity requires all monitors to be of the same resolution.
  • edited November 2010
    I am looking at 30" 2560x1600 monitors and it is surprising to see their prices much higher than 3x 22" monitors.
    edited November 2010
    mirage wrote:
    I am looking at 30" 2560x1600 monitors and it is surprising to see their prices much higher than 3x 22" monitors.

YEP!! :eek2:

Just curious has anyone around here done the multiple monitor thing doing a stand?? One of the things I'm taking into concideratioin is if a monitor is VERSA complient (sadly it appears a lot aren't....right LG!!) to tray and max my available space.