DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    Quickly typing this out after spending a few hours trying to get this to work.

Got a P1130 for cheap, turns out it had the brightness problem.

Bought this thing: http://www.geeetech.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=156 Waited 2 weeks for it to ship to me.

It get here today, I mess with it, nothing. "check bus blah blah"

I did manage to get it to see something was attached, but it spewed ECS errors since it wasn't connected right.

I have tried multiple different connection setups and just can't see why it won't work. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong accessory for this job. Can anyone advise?
  • edited October 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Quickly typing this out after spending a few hours trying to get this to work.

Got a P1130 for cheap, turns out it had the brightness problem.

Bought this thing: http://www.geeetech.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=156 Waited 2 weeks for it to ship to me.

It get here today, I mess with it, nothing. "check bus blah blah"

I did manage to get it to see something was attached, but it spewed ECS errors since it wasn't connected right.

I have tried multiple different connection setups and just can't see why it won't work. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong accessory for this job. Can anyone advise?

Hi, its nice to see new people still having a go at this.

Have you set the COM port in the BIOS setup (COM1 or COM2 - as the case may be). Thats one of the gotchas that initially caught me out.

Anyway, keep trying, someone has probably answered your question in this massive thread.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    Have you set the COM port in the BIOS setup (COM1 or COM2 - as the case may be). Thats one of the gotchas that initially caught me out.
    I'm not sure what you mean? The PC has 2 serial ports, both are enabled and working in windows. Regardless, I'll check the BIOS anyway to see if there's any more settings.

It may be possible someone provided a post regarding something like this, but I can't find the time to sit through reading all these posts. I've been here and there, have 6 different bookmarks to certain pages or posts on this thread, but it's just too much.

I still believe I purchased the wrong connector even though it should be compatible.
  • edited October 2010
    Hey, I tried to go to the link mentioned much earlier in this thread www.geocities.com. Yahoo apparently shut it down. Do you know where else I can download it?
  • edited October 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Thanks for the link, however I was getting the "no .mdl files" message and found out the library file "Msflxgrd.ocx" was missing and I found a place to download it. After I downloaded it there were instructions on the website to run the following command for Windows XP:

regsvr32 \windows\system32\Msflxgrd.ocx

I did this and instead of getting the "DllRegisterServer ... succeeded" message I am getting a message that says "\windows\system32\Msflxgrd.ocx" is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type."

You know how to fix?
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the link, however I was getting the "no .mdl files" message and found out the library file "Msflxgrd.ocx" was missing and I found a place to download it. After I downloaded it there were instructions on the website to run the following command for Windows XP:

regsvr32 \windows\system32\Msflxgrd.ocx

I did this and instead of getting the "DllRegisterServer ... succeeded" message I am getting a message that says "\windows\system32\Msflxgrd.ocx" is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type."

You know how to fix?
    Never mind it was the wrong file I downloaded
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    Well, just tried things again nearly a month later. Somehow, worked the first try.

Now I just need to find those guides I had saved..

Edit: Or I could somehow OSD lock it.

Anyone know how to unlock the OSD on the P1130? I have no idea what would've caused it.
  • edited October 2010
    Just received my cable today, however I need to know what the order is for the service port on my P991. I found a very small cover on the left side of the monitor which exposes the service port. The plug doesn't sit longways up and down it sits sideways. Does anyone know the order of connections for each of the four pins from left to right?
  • edited October 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Well, just tried things again nearly a month later. Somehow, worked the first try.

Now I just need to find those guides I had saved..

Edit: Or I could somehow OSD lock it.

Anyone know how to unlock the OSD on the P1130? I have no idea what would've caused it.
    Someone earlier in this thread had the same problem with the same monitor. I found the solution from this same thread with confirmation that it fixes it although I don't know what any of it means:

From mrtube posted in 2006:
    "if you dont already have them get the CR1 files for windas, then
    go to procedure, and "FINALIZE" its the last thing on the list
    tab to the OK button that i can never see, hit enter, itll say 'FINALIZE??" say YES
    itll finalize, and your OSD will be unlocked"

Let me know how it works.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    snip

Alright, thanks for quoting that. I did try to google search but came up with no useful leads. I'll look into it when I want to continue with my convergence tweaking. (must put another older PC on my desk and shove things around into a stressful configuration since my more recent PC has no serial port.. and serial add-in cards are $20 minimum. I picked this monitor up for $10, so.. yeah, not buying one unless I get desperate.)
  • edited October 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Alright, thanks for quoting that. I did try to google search but came up with no useful leads. I'll look into it when I want to continue with my convergence tweaking. (must put another older PC on my desk and shove things around into a stressful configuration since my more recent PC has no serial port.. and serial add-in cards are $20 minimum. I picked this monitor up for $10, so.. yeah, not buying one unless I get desperate.)
    You can order a new cable where it uses USB. That's what mine is and it was only $7 with free shipping!. Go to Ebay and type USB to ttl converter and you'll get results.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    http://www.geeetech.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=158

Something like that?

I thought about it, but it seemed iffy. If I knew a USB converter worked reliably I would've gotten it instead.

Still, I'd rather have a long cable so I would be able to keep my monitor in the spot I use it, rather than 3 feet away, so I'd have to find a cable like that if it exists, or get an extension. Saving money vs convenience.. sigh.
  • edited October 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    http://www.geeetech.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=158

Something like that?

I thought about it, but it seemed iffy. If I knew a USB converter worked reliably I would've gotten it instead.

Still, I'd rather have a long cable so I would be able to keep my monitor in the spot I use it, rather than 3 feet away, so I'd have to find a cable like that if it exists, or get an extension. Saving money vs convenience.. sigh.
    That's the exact one I have. By the way anyone reading this part of the thread know what the order of the connectors are the Dell Ultrascan P991? I keep getting errors with WinDAS.
  • edited October 2010
    I saw a post on this thread that told me the order of the connections for my P991 which are TXD, RXD, VCC (+5), GND. When I try to save data to file the program pauses for about 3 seconds and I get a message that says "Can't connect the monitor! Check Bus line and condition!" I did try rearranging the connections to see if I had something wrong and every other arrangement makes my monitor shut off until I unplug it. Then the monitor comes back on. Anybody having this same problem?:confused:
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    That happened to me when things weren't arranged properly. Like if I put the 5v into ground. I also read that you can damage your monitor if you connect something wrong like that, but mine's still operating fine after multiple mis-connections.

Sounds as if your layout is the same as mine. Assuming you took the jumper off and put the 5.5v into VCC, try the 5.5v (unless that's only 5v) at the top.

The only other thing I can really say is something you've already tried. Swap the TXD and RXD connectors. Use different wires for the connectors. Or, maybe you need to solder the connections in case they did a shoddy job and some don't have actual contact. I had to solder 2 pins.

This is all assuming you chose your monitor in the model selection screen. Restart the program if you haven't tried that when swapping connectors.

If you can't get it to work, maybe it's because of the USB connector as I feared.
  • edited October 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    That happened to me when things weren't arranged properly. Like if I put the 5v into ground. I also read that you can damage your monitor if you connect something wrong like that, but mine's still operating fine after multiple mis-connections.

Sounds as if your layout is the same as mine. Assuming you took the jumper off and put the 5.5v into VCC, try the 5.5v (unless that's only 5v) at the top.

The only other thing I can really say is something you've already tried. Swap the TXD and RXD connectors. Use different wires for the connectors. Or, maybe you need to solder the connections in case they did a shoddy job and some don't have actual contact. I had to solder 2 pins.

This is all assuming you chose your monitor in the model selection screen. Restart the program if you haven't tried that when swapping connectors.

If you can't get it to work, maybe it's because of the USB connector as I feared.
    I finally got it to work after many hours of being frustrated with the cable. I did swap the transistor and receiver connections but I didn't think to put them back after swapping the ground and positive connectors. Most likely because there might have been a bad connection in the monitor I couldn't get the software to work until after about the 5th attempt of connecting it to the monitor and then it finally worked. My monitor looks great now. I hope I have better luck with my other dell.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited October 2010
    Good to know it works. Maybe I'll get a USB adapter now and connect it to an extension cord so I can do this whenever I please.
  • edited October 2010
    That's the exact one I have. By the way anyone reading this part of the thread know what the order of the connectors are the Dell Ultrascan P991? I keep getting errors with WinDAS.
    I looked at the picture again and realized my USB adapter isn't exactly the same as the one you mentioned, <cite class="ic-username"></cite>DAOWAce.;D
    Mine has six pins on the opposite side of the USB connectors on the circuit board. Mine has this output: 3.3V, RST, TXD, RXD, GND, and +5V. Sorry about the communication error however the one you found should do the same trick as I saw in the picture.
  • edited November 2010
    One of my dell monitors decided to kick the bucket today. I heard something begin to buzz, then POW! Don't know what caused it but now the image is all wierd and ugly. The OSD doesn't really help with adjustments either. After opening WinDAS it says it won't connect to the monitor. I think it's out for good.:(
  • edited November 2010
    Hello !

I appologise for asking this here, but I've searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer...and I didn't want to start a new thread either...
    I've found a warehouse near where I live that has over 100 refurbished Dell P1130 monitors.
    Besides testing them before I buy I would also like to know how many hours of use do they have, which I belive can be found in the service menu, right ?
    If it's corect, please tell me how to access it.

Thank you !
  • edited November 2010
    If you are talking about the OSD menu, I am pretty sure you can't. I can't find anything like that on my P991. If you're talking about the WinDAS software, I don't know. I'm too scared to accidentally screw up my recently perfected Dell P991 monitor (meaning the convergence, color, geometry, and of course the brightness) to figure out if you can see how many hours of usage the monitor has. Any one else know the answer? I would like to know myself.
  • edited November 2010
    I know this is off topic but I can't find anything on Google about this discovery I just made. My first monitor, the Viewsonic G810 manufactured January 2000, has its own little port on the lower back cover. Although it does put out a crisp picture and very decent color, it has many geometric distortions all over the sides of the screen. I did adjust the advanced geometry settings on the OSD to make the screen look as good as possible, but it still has distortions. Is it possible I can get the WinDAS software to somehow work with this monitor?
  • edited November 2010
    On any Dell CRT monitor, how can you see the number of hours of usage ?

Please help !

Thank you !
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited November 2010
    Sad news for me. The flyback transformer is failing. The monitor can't go a day without the beam clicking off for a split second (is what it looks like).

I'm assuming it will fail by the end of this month. I'd cry if I could, this is a beautiful monitor when the flaws are ignored (shaky text and font that looks like cleartype on CRTs; that RGB colorization). I can't afford a new monitor, not even a cheap one (though a cheap one would be a massive downgrade and I won't do it). Anyone have a spare P1130 (or FW900) just in case mine goes? :(
    On any Dell CRT monitor, how can you see the number of hours of usage ?
    Yeah I'd love to know this too.

@otherguy: I am no help there. Not a hardware person.
  • edited December 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Sad news for me. The flyback transformer is failing. The monitor can't go a day without the beam clicking off for a split second (is what it looks like).

I'm assuming it will fail by the end of this month. I'd cry if I could, this is a beautiful monitor when the flaws are ignored (shaky text and font that looks like cleartype on CRTs; that RGB colorization). I can't afford a new monitor, not even a cheap one (though a cheap one would be a massive downgrade and I won't do it). Anyone have a spare P1130 (or FW900) just in case mine goes? :(

Yeah I'd love to know this too.

@otherguy: I am no help there. Not a hardware person.
    Well, I don't know much about how a flyback transformer works, however I have been doing some reading and found out it's cheap to replace it (if you're doing it yourself) although I don't know where to order one. I read they're around or below $50. But I must warn you (and you probably already know it) there are some extremely high voltages involved with this part. Good luck.
  • edited December 2010
    Hello everyone !

I recently bought an unused P1130 monitor that is in top condition.
    When I first power it on from cold, the image is very very bright, but after about 30 min the colour contrast and black gradually become very intense. After that the image quality is jaw-dropping.
    Is this behaviour normal ?
    On my other Samsung DynaFlat (Shadow-Mask) CRT's, the warm-up period lasts only 10 min in which the blacks become really black and only a few minutes for the geometry to properly fit the screen, but there is now overbrightness at first.
    My Windas cable will be arriving shortly, so if this behaviour is not normal please let me know what I can do within the software to fix it.

Thanks !
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited December 2010
    'Normal' with my well used P1130. 30 minutes or so before the damn thing is usable.

My old shadow mask CRT showed the screen at normal brightess in 15 seconds. My P1130 takes 5x longer to do anything else compared to it. I'm still not used to it and I still hate it.

@flyback converter: It stopped doing it about 10 days after it started. Lucky me. Still have yet to redo the convergence, but that's probably what caused the problem in the first place. I probably won't do it until I wind up getting that USB cable.
  • edited December 2010
    Hello everyone !

I recently bought an unused P1130 monitor that is in top condition.
    When I first power it on from cold, the image is very very bright, but after about 30 min the colour contrast and black gradually become very intense. After that the image quality is jaw-dropping.
    Is this behaviour normal ?
    On my other Samsung DynaFlat (Shadow-Mask) CRT's, the warm-up period lasts only 10 min in which the blacks become really black and only a few minutes for the geometry to properly fit the screen, but there is now overbrightness at first.
    My Windas cable will be arriving shortly, so if this behaviour is not normal please let me know what I can do within the software to fix it.

Thanks !
    Sorry I took a little while to reply, but I have been helping people with their trinitron TV's. To answer your question: yes. I don't know if this was normal when the trinitron computer monitors of all models did this when they were brand new. I don't know what the explanation is for it, but many, if not all, trinitron computer monitor users have this issue. Oh, do you know what the default brightness of your p1130 is? I think I may have set the G2 voltage on my p991 too low. As of right now, the color and brightness settings are a little goofy although tolerable.

@&lt;cite class="ic-username"></cite>DAOWAce Did you have another monitor plugged in via a VGA 2-splitter with your p1130 plugged into it? If you did, it may be sensitive to that monitor. My p991 is picky like that (mine started doing it just after I plugged another monitor in). And you should by that cable it's worth it.;)

I also managed to finally fix my other p991. Something fell through the back cover and touched some of the contacts on one of the circuit boards. This is what probably screwed up the color. And the monitor started responding again. So I loaded the original settings back into the monitor to restore the color.:bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited December 2010
    @&lt;cite class="ic-username"></cite>DAOWAce Did you have another monitor plugged in via a VGA 2-splitter with your p1130 plugged into it?

Nada. I was controlling a second computer remotely with the monitor plugged into my computer. With the USB cable (+ an extension) I can remove the hassle of using a second older PC for the serial port.