If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Goomba Stomp - Interest Gauge

2»

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    Good call, Sir Snark, Deflowerer of Eastern Bloc Beauties. This is turning into a "dickfight." I vote for Goomba stomp.

A couple points...
    1. Kryptic AND Doc Scratch/Beartato may have just registered on the forums, but they have contributed monetarily to the servers and have played IC TF2 for months. They play regularly and are excellent players and overall great guys.
    2. As Cliff said, it's only a game AND the mod is an opt-in option. Nothing more democratic then that. Why not try for a month and then if it's bad delete it?
    3. Most of the original Icrontians have moved away from TF2 onto other things (which saddens me :(). However, there is a whole crew of great peeps (i.e. cola, the Turnips, Duck, Null, Doc Scratch, Kryptic, etc) that have joined and play often. In fact, Doc Scratch spent hours fixing the server when it died out of the goodness of his heart.

Icrontic means debate to me, but it doesn't mean erroneously questioning someone's opinion because they just registered nor does it mean telling good players to go elsewhere...especially when that person has actually proven to be a solid dude and the questioner rarely plays TF2.

Shall we put up a poll?!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    Consider me sad, Scratch and Kryptic. Thanks for your work, at least. For what it's worth, I counted 3 or 4 yay or indifferent vs 2 nays (unscientific, going off of memory, apologies for errors).

The drama here and with Minecraft is getting way out of control. They're games, everybody. Open minds, open hearts, try anything once, etc. When both players have to opt-in, I mean... sheez.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    I'm not thrilled with where this whole thing went. Scratch, I apologize on behalf of the IC community for telling you to create this thread. I didn't know it would turn into such a cluster.

People who don't play TF2, kindly bow out of offering your unsolicited opinions. Scratch represents the new guard of TF2 who have helped keep our server running for the rest of us, volunteering time and money. Those of us who quit playing months or years ago (I include myself in this group) shouldn't really be getting huffy about this mod.

Scratch, Kryptic, and the like aren't offering their opinions about what people do in WoW or Minecraft, and I think it's best if the opposite doesn't happen either.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    I'm sorry for my dickish post.... I am generally a dick though so did anyone expect anything less?

That said, I get a little annoyed when a 3-post wonder comes in and throws a temper tantrum because they didn't get their way. Yes, I don't play TF2 much lately, mostly because I'm not a big fan of dealing with the griefing and herpderpery that goes along with playing most games online. The only reason I play at all is because there is the Icrontic server which is usually more or less a devoid of that. I happen to be a purist who enjoys (in 99% of cases) playing the game as the developer intended, ie without gameplay effecting mods such as the one being discussed here. Were said mod to be installed it would kill what interest I had in playing TF2 on the Icrontic server. Silly? Perhaps.... but it's just how I am. Thus I felt justified voting on the topic, despite the fact that I rarely play.
  • ScratchScratch Florida, USA
    edited Dec 2010
    In talking to Preacher and Cola today, I have decided to re-do my work on the Goomba Stomp plugin.

There are far more regulars who want the plugin than those who don't, so I'm going to go test things out and get it working right now!

Hooray democracy!
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    Democracy works... and it means I can free up 10GB of data on my laptop and desktop. Have fun jumping on each others heads.
  • edited Dec 2010
    edited Dec 2010
    ardichoke said:
    Democracy works... and it means I can free up 10GB of data on my laptop and desktop. Have fun jumping on each others heads.
    Will do! :rockon:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    .... is anybody playing tonight?
    edited Dec 2010
    Cola and I are on at the moment, but we both have plans for the night.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited Jan 2011
    I'm in for tonight as long as I can play in my IC leopard thong.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Jan 2011
    You speak as if there is any other way to play.
    edited Jan 2011
    I'll be there, and I'll join in the thonging
  • ShuckleShuckle Austin, Texas
    edited Jul 2011
    I don't see why not considering how it's set up. I say yes.
    Also, first post. Am I cool yet?
    edited Jul 2011
    Lol, I'd say so ^^
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Jul 2011
    >necroing an 8 month old thread
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Jul 2011
    I'll allow it just because he's shuckle.

SO MUCH DEF.
  • ShuckleShuckle Austin, Texas
    edited Jul 2011
    Oh... I didn't notice that.
    Whoopsie poopsie
    edited Jul 2011
    Valve agreed that Goomba Stomping is a good idea, too. See: Mantreads.
  • Bad-Mr-FrostyBad-Mr-Frosty Member
    edited Jul 2011
    Yeah so would mantreads be pointless then? I like goomba stomp. I've had it happen on surf maps and it's hilarious.

As far as that whole argument goes, I skimmed it somewhat so sorry if I'm saying something stupid, but I think as long as the user can turn it off and on at will then I don't see the problem. It's pretty uncommon on surf maps that I've played on, so I would assume it happens less on regular maps (maybe not I really don't know).

The way I see it is that if the user has them turned on, they're probably not playing srsly. Some people like to play a srs game and that's fine, they can turn it off. I understand that other people on your team getting goomba stomped can be frustrating in key moments, but I think if they were playing srsly or cared about the match as much as you do, they would have turned it off. It's basically like trying to play a decent match on a server when your entire team is just dicking around or just doesn't care about winning.
    edited Jul 2011
    They're already pointless because they're bugged to max at 30 damage. But its unlikely I'll bother to redo the plugin. Once the mantreads are fixed I'll be able to goomba stomp everyone, regardless of whether they opt in.
2»