Name your top 5 Android Apps!

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I looked at my old-trusty G1 and noticed I only have two apps installed outside of default android.

seesmic and speedtest

:mullet:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2010
    Angry Birds
    Facebook
    Google Maps
    Last.fm
    task killer
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Stop using task killers on Android.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Stop using task killers on Android.

NO U!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Angry Birds is the Facebook of Android apps.
    edited December 2010
    Puh-lease.... Facebook is the Facebook of Android apps.
    edited December 2010
    tweetdeck
    handcent sms
    battery watcher
    screenmodewidget
    angry birds
    speedtest
    tunee music
    endomondo
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    That is most certainly not 5.
    edited December 2010
    I most certainly don't follow rules. then.
    edited December 2010
    Fucking hippies
    edited December 2010
    Mine is off for repairs, but here's my recent top 5:

Spotify
    Tweetdeck
    Setting Profiles

That's really pretty much it, actually. I've been looking into (making) new ROMs instead.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Just got my first phone smarter than a house plant.

Using;

Barcode Scanner
    Prey
    Gmote
    Aldiko
    Layar

Also got the obligatory handcent sms/dolphin HD but don't see the point over the default apps TBH.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Basil wrote:
    Also got the obligatory handcent sms/dolphin HD but don't see the point over the default apps TBH.

I don't really like Dolphin, but the point of Handcent is that you can totally customize the theme and enable pop-up notifications.
    edited December 2010
    OK, so I'm probably late to this party, but I've just discovered Subsonic.

This server/app setup is probably my favorite anything in the world right now, especially since I'm on a Nexus S now with limited local storage.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap, Mas0n. Thanks so much for recommending that app. This is so freaking awesome. #installed.
    edited December 2010
    The longcat app. It's brilliant. Because longcat is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnng

longcat.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap, Mas0n. Thanks so much for recommending that app. This is so freaking awesome. #installed.
    +1
    edited January 2011
    I realized I left out possibly the greatest pair of apps for Android in the world - ROM Manager and koush's ClockworkMod recovery. Obviously requries root, but entirely from within my phone, I can download a new ROM and flash it, it will back up my existing one for me and wipe the device, and if something doesn't work perfectly, I can boot back into recovery and flash the old one back. The whole system just makes me giddy inside.

So, since I've been tinkering today, here's today's top 5:

ROM Manager
    ClockworkMod recovery
    Desktop Visualizer (lets you change icons)
    LauncherPro
    Tasker

I'm giving LP and Tasker a chance over my previous choices, ADW Launcher and Setting Profiles, to see what's changed and if I can improve any workflows with these. Tasker is still ridiculously complicated, but... what are you gonna do. ADW just put out ADW EX, which is supposed to have some nice new stuff in it, and with no performance hit... I'll probably give that a shot tomorrow and see what's up. Meanwhile, here's what I did today:

snap20110102_020324.pngsnap20110102_020151.png
    snap20110102_020222.png

Sorry if they're large...
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ClockworkMod recovery is total win. Mas0n, another ^5 for Subsonic. Great app!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Oh man. I really, really dig your UI, Matt.
    edited January 2011
    ROM Manager + CWM is definitely a must for people who flash frequently (or even occasionally). I finally went ahead and got the paid version of ROM Manager since Koush looks to be the main dev for CM7 on the Nexus S.

Glad so many people are enjoying Subsonic as much as I am. The latest server beta adds basic video support. It's not even close to perfect, but a good start nonetheless.

My updated top 5 in terms of usage:

Need for Speed : Shift (sucking my life away)
    Subsonic
    Tasker
    Google Navigation
    Kindle

Honorable mentions:

Titanium Backup
    SMS Backup+
    Torrent Fu
    SystemPanel

And, as always ... Launcher Pro + Beautiful Widgets makes for some excellent setups.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, Rob.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ClockworkMod Recovery is excellent, first thing I did to my phone after unlocking it.

Anyone tried LogMeIn ignition or PhoneMyPC?
    I'm using the free teamviewer app at the moment but wouldn't mind paying if it was worth it.
    mas0n wrote:
    the point of Handcent is that you can totally customize the theme and enable pop-up notifications.
    I got an account, had a look at some themes but just couldn't warm to it.

Trying Opera mini and Skyfire currently, though I expect I'll end up sticking with the default browser anyway.
    edited January 2011
    want.to.rom.my.evo4G.bad
    edited January 2011
    What's stopping you?

Playing with ADW EX today. It is amazing the improvements over the original. I have seen no lag, and with the animations he plugged into the screen transitions (9 different options), it's amazing how fast it's running. I'm really impressed.
    edited January 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Playing with ADW EX today. It is amazing the improvements over the original. I have seen no lag, and with the animations he plugged into the screen transitions (9 different options), it's amazing how fast it's running. I'm really impressed.

I'm on my 2nd day using ADW EX and really liking it as well. As good if not slightly better than LPP for me.
    edited January 2011
    I think I might take the plunge and get ADW EX. Out of curiosity, what hardware is everyone running? I'm on an overclocked Hero running at 691MHz.
    edited January 2011
    I was on a Samsung Vibrant for a while but dropped it for a Nexus S when it launched in December. No OC for now, not really needed on this phone yet. I'd probably rather undervolt and underclock most the time.

We may need some new threads/sub-forums.
    edited January 2011
    Was running a G1 for a while. Been on a Nexus One since last April though.