Dead Geforce 8800?

2»

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I have an 8800GT that used to fold very well, now it just fails over and over. It's a G92 118 stream processor 8800GT from PNY. Would baking it possibly help it?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Very likely, yes.

NVIDIA 8800s are like the old IBM DeskStars and the pre-Jasper Xbox 360s: At some point, they WILL FAIL due to manufacturing defect.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    That or kill it the rest of the way.
    edited July 2010
    I might try baking it then, it can't get any worse than it is now for folding. As soon as it starts it fails 5 in a row.
  • nick1983nick1983 india
    edited August 2010
    remove the heat sink and examine the card wih a magnifier; you may be lucky to find cracks or broken tracks; f yes soldering them can help; however its v tedious and tough job as over soldering can damage parts and can also short something else; usage of thermal paste also should be in the right amount to not let it ooze out
    edited August 2010
    It didn't work.
  • edited January 2011
    hello everyone... hope that everyone is gud, I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post to any thread of this forum... i know i'm too much late for this but I have just joined it today therefore I dont think I'm late :crazy: ....
    I really found this whole thread very informative as well as cooperative too, cause all those guys who knows about the problem of a certain users do helps him.... thats really gud thing..... appreciate it :respect:
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited January 2011
    Well since this thread has been briefly revived, I will provide an update on my Geforce 8800 GTX.
    Recently I popped it into the oven for the third time, and once again it did the trick.
    All artifacts dissappeared and it is still working fine.
    But I imagine that it is a matter of time before it fails completely.
    This method of reviving the dead cannot work forever, but I am quite pleased so far.

My "recipe" is 200 degress celcius for 6-7 minutes.
    That has given me roughly 6 months with no problems every time.