SAPPHIRE first to the table with an AMD Fusion APU motherboard

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm interested. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try any of the Fusion stuff at CES.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Gigabyte was actually first to the table with the GA-E350N-USB3.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Small motherboard is small. Small motherboard with debug led = win.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    That looks like an old Pentium 2 heat sink and fan. I like the use of laptop ram sticks too.
    edited January 2011
    I really love the look of the Asus E35MI-I Deluxe.

1. Dual core 1.6GHz Zacate Fusion core
    2. Onboard WiFi
    3. Real memory slots
    4. SATA 6Gbps
    5. USB 3.0
    6. On-die Radeon 6310 core with UVD3 (DiVX, XviD, MPEG2, H.264, VC-1, Flash acceleration)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I've been streaming allot from Netflix lately, and I was thinking about getting a Roku Box, but this really makes me want to build an HTPC.... Ohhh decisions, decisions.

In one corner, its a wonderful streaming gadget for a stupid low price, in the other, there is the pride of having my own hardware and custom build, plus the flexibility to do far more than just stream a few content channels, but it will cost significantly more.

We could debate the pros and cons of each all day.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    No we can't, HTPC > Roku box.
    edited January 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    No we can't, HTPC > Roku box.

Please, state your case. I'm being serious, I'm trying to justify this for myself.
    edited January 2011
    No pre-fab box on the market can:
    1) Accelerate all of the codecs that UVD2 or UVD3 can.

AND...

2) None of them approach anywhere near the same HQV score that a Radeon 5000 Series part produces.

For someone who cares about video quality and codec support, an HTPC is the only option.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    You have the answer there yourself "flexibility to do far more than just stream a few content channels" not to mention video/audio quality. Your issue of cost is comparing apples to oranges.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Gigabyte was actually first to the table with the GA-E350N-USB3.

I think the argument's unsettled there, honestly. This is going to come down to who ships first. On that front, I suspect Sapphire will win. According to Sapphire, they're already in production and prepping to ship to master distributors.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm still working on some of the video footage from CES, but I believe there are several clips of various Fusion systems in use for gaming and video playback. I'll double check this evening and upload them if they do exist.
    edited January 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    I'm still working on some of the video footage from CES, but I believe there are several clips of various Fusion systems in use for gaming and video playback. I'll double check this evening and upload them if they do exist.

I'm curious of there are any pre built OEM boxes that look worthwhile. I'm seriously close to cutting my cable, this might help me take the leap.
    edited January 2011
    I'm curious of there are any pre built OEM boxes that look worthwhile. I'm seriously close to cutting my cable, this might help me take the leap.
    The systems on video were all netbooks. I haven't heard anything concrete about an HTPC system coming from any vendor yet, but I'd expect that to change soon.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    What is the advantage of this over a traditional onboard video chipset + cpu configuration, such as this:
    GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 + some Intel CPU

Does it use less power? I'm confused about the purpose of this other than there is a demand for cheap and small mobo/cpu combos.
    edited January 2011
    The onboard GPU of the Fusion processor in these systems is about twice as fast as the GPU in the "some Intel CPU." In other words, it will accelerate all your content and produce an outstanding HQV score (check any review), whereas the Intel GPU will not.

Enthusiasts will find them them the ideal solution for HTPCs, where video performance is required on a thin wattage/heat budget ("Zacate" dual cores are 18W TDP). Normal users will find that they are more than adequate for daily desktop work on the very cheap.

(Disclaimer: I work for AMD, but sites like Engadget and TomsHardware support my claims. :)).
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I see! Thank you sir Thrax, you are always informed.
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    (Disclaimer: I work for AMD, but sites like Engadget and TomsHardware support my claims. :)).
    As does pretty much anyone who has seen the systems running. I have. I want one.