Connecting to office network from outside...

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited February 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi guys...long time. :eek:

My workplace has 5 sites with the main server set up head office. Staff at head office can use open Outlook to access emails and the S: from My Computer where all data is held.

Currently, staff at the other sites access Outlook through Microsoft Exchange using a web browser and access the S: through Remote Desktop (can also access Outlook this way).

What we would like is for staff at the other sites to be able to access their emails by opening Outlook and not Exchange. Also, access S: without needing to use Remote Desktop, if possible.

Can this be done? Any help?

Thanks!

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    We do this for our remote offices. You need to set up RCP over HTTPS. I would explain how to do it, but I don't know your version of Exchange, and Petri's site does a much better job. Go here and you should be able to find the setup for your version of Exchange.

For accessing remote shares, I defer to others.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the link. I believe we're on Exchange server 2003, though I'll need to double check.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    It's very easy to do with a dedicated front-end server, and requires a little bit of hacking for a single server. We're on a single server and it works very well.
    edited January 2011
    Hi Kwitko,

We're on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 using Exchange Server 2003.

Just a quick question...

On the Petri article here, under Client requirements it states:
    "The client computer must be running Microsoft Office Outlook 2003."

We're running Windows XP/Vista/7 (depending on site) with Outlook 2007/2010 as the minimum and not Outlook 2003. Will RPC over HTTP still work with Outlook 2007/2010?
    edited January 2011
    Yes, it really should say that Outlook 2003 is the minimum version needed. We use it with Outlook 2007 without issue.
    edited January 2011
    Cool, thanks! Either myself or someone will have a go at this very soon. Will post back soon.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    As for accessing other remote resources (your S: drive), you can setup VPN tunnels between sites. This depends on your hardware, though. What devices do you have on the perimeter of each of your sites' networks, main site included? Specifically, routers/firewalls.
    edited January 2011
    Cyclonite wrote:
    As for accessing other remote resources (your S: drive), you can setup VPN tunnels between sites. This depends on your hardware, though. What devices do you have on the perimeter of each of your sites' networks, main site included? Specifically, routers/firewalls.
    I'll try and get these details shortly. Just need to get the RPC over HTTP going first.

Thanks!
    edited February 2011
    RPC over HTTP/Outlook Anywhere was already setup. A Digital Certificate was needed. One was purchase, installed and now we can Outlook remotely.

As for the S: drive, I'm not too sure what is planned for this. Staff have been using Remote Desktop to access the S: drive, so it is not too bad.

Thanks for the help guys.