Random Internet disconnections

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited February 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi guys,

At one of the offices (unit 9) we receive constant and random Internet disconnections. Switching off the router and back on again gets the Internet back most of the time. This has been going on for a long time.

There are 3 units (Unit 7, 8 & 9) with the main server at Unit 9. Units 7 & 8 connect via Ethernet and wireless to Unit 9. We can have around 30-40 clients and 15 staff connecting simultaneously.

What we have done so far:

1. Changed filter (as asked by the ISP)
2. Changed port on the router

We have a Netgear DG834 with no aerial/antenna and a Linksys WAP4400N.

What can we check for or do? Change router? Could this be due to the ISP?

Thanks!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Check for firmware updates on router, but with that many clients, you may be overloading the routers ability to process data efficiently. Consumer class hardware isn't meant to handle 45+ clients simultaneously. You may be looking at getting a enterprise class switch and setting up DHCP, but I'm not sure that would even help since the stuff would still have to be piped through that router. There are others (I'm looking at you RootWyrm) who can be of more assistance.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Can we just break down a usage pattern. Is this purely internet connectivity or network connectivity? There is a difference.

If it's internet connectivity:

Check the logs to see if it loses xDSL sync
    -- could be an ISP problem

When it disconnects, can you ping the router default gateway
    When it disconnects, can you access the web interface or via telnet?
    -- router could be locking due to overheating/oversubscription of users

Check those first mate :)
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited February 2011
    Thanks guys.

Shorty, it will probably be on Tuesday before I can check those out.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Ok dokie mate. Il check back on Tuesday. If you see any dsl log errors, il check them to see what they relate to.
    edited February 2011
    Hi Shorty,

The situation so far is that I cannot access the Netgear web interface as I do not have the login details (default details do not work). None of the staff know the login details so I cannot check the logs. :mad2:

The Internet has not gone down since your initial post and so have not been able to do the ping test.

I'll keep you posted, thanks.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2011
    Hi Trogan,

I dug out the Netgear user manual from here On page 21 you can see the location of the restore factory default button. That will reset your router back to standard and reset the password to the default too. Only problem may be that if someone changed the password they have probably changed other settings too so by resetting the all the settings you may screw up some other conectivity.

Rich
    edited February 2011
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about resetting, but as you said, I don't want to lose any settings that have been setup as I do not know what they are.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    There is almost always a way to save current settings. While you are poking around, you can be looking for changed settings. I still think one of your biggest issues is overloading your device.