Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Sorry bout that, the cave mode rendering was a test. It will render normal when it does the scheduled job tomorrow. If I have time later tonight I'll run a manual job to replace the map. The coffee shop I'm in right now is closing though and I have to go.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Latest addition to the Official server, I'm setting it up to generate an updated isometric map each day after backups are taken. Once the map is generated, the old one will be overwritten. Fair warning, from my test renders, it looks like the maps are pretty big (around 45MB). I wouldn't recommend opening them in your browser.

URL: http://dump.ardichoke.info/minecraft/Icrontinent.png

I get "Image cannot be displayed because it contains errors". Is it just me?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    You'll probably have to download the image. Too big for browsers.
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited February 2011
    Man...lag is a bitch and a half tonight. :(
    edited February 2011
    Okay, there's a non-cave render of the Icrontic map up now. The lag last night was probably due to the renders I was doing. If they cause problems in the future, I'll probably go with weekly renders instead of daily (or perhaps stop doing them altogether). Either way, future renders should be quicker since I'm making use of caching. Oh, and as for software, I'm using c10t.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I also get "Invalid image" when I try to look at it with "Windows picture and movie viewer" and Picasa crashes if I try to zoom in.

I was only able to see the image loading it in Photoshop. :/

That's a big image...
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I updated the first post in this thread with the current commands available from the plugins we have installed.

Thanks, didn't think to check. :o
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I opened the image just fine, I see lotsa caves.
    edited February 2011
    Crap, I apparently left the -c flag in the script. Fixed it. Generating an updated map now.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Possible to throw up an admin message when you are about to do that? Bunch of us on the server just got mad lag spikes causing lost items.

-Digi
    edited February 2011
    Bugger, maybe I shouldn't render maps on the server. I figured limiting memory and CPU usage would keep it from affecting the server. I guess the disk I/O is just too much though. I killed the render for now.
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to start another google maps render when i go to bed tonight and upload it first thing in the morning.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Possible to throw up an admin message when you are about to do that? Bunch of us on the server just got mad lag spikes causing lost items.

-Digi

Or do it outside of noon, if you're doing backup/map gen sequentially. I'd recommend 5am EST...?
    edited February 2011
    I've change the map render to only happen once a week. Specifically Monday after the backup has occurred (I figure the most changes are made over the weekend).

I'd be open to changing the backup/render times. I'd like to know what time most people are playing so I can try to make it as unobtrusive as possible.
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I've change the map render to only happen once a week. Specifically Monday after the backup has occurred (I figure the most changes are made over the weekend).

I'd be open to changing the backup/render times. I'd like to know what time most people are playing so I can try to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

Ardi, I sent you a PM about map stuff!
    edited February 2011
    Just fair warning, apparently /home can cause you to spawn in a random place that is not your preset home and die.

That was a very expensive lesson.
    edited February 2011
    That would probably be if you used /home without using /sethome to set your home location first. Just a guess.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited February 2011
    I can confirm that. I did it once because I thought I had set my home, but I hadn't. Spawned at some point on the railway, freaked out when I saw a creeper, and then lol'd when I noticed it was a creeper in a minecart.
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    That would probably be if you used /home without using /sethome to set your home location first. Just a guess.

No, I most definitely had a home set. I even tried it again right afterward and it took me to almost the right place. It appears that the /home command can take you to a place that varies along the (in game) Y-axis. It's possible that the set location doesn't hold up well to the passage of time or something.
    edited February 2011
    All the plugin does is store a specific set of x,y,z coordinates in a flat file and return you to them. If the landscape changed in such a way that your x,y,z home location is no longer the way it used to be (i.e. - it's now way above ground or built over) then I'd expect there could be problems.
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    All the plugin does is store a specific set of x,y,z coordinates in a flat file and return you to them. If the landscape changed in such a way that your x,y,z home location is no longer the way it used to be (i.e. - it's now way above ground or built over) then I'd expect there could be problems.

That makes sense. It was in a place that hasn't changed, though. Specifically, it was in a room on the pirate ship. I'd tried it before and it worked, but I hadn't been on and tried in 12 hours or so when it put me in an untenable position. When I tried it a minute or two later, it put me in a room below where I had my home set. Nothing changed in the area at all. It's possible it has something to do with the way the spawning function works with the add-on.
    I've also noticed that after I use a /home, it seems to put me in a default skin. At least my arm from my 1st-person perspective is default. I haven't swapped to 3rd-person, or paid any attention to my model in my inventory screen, to verify that it's an actual skin change and not just weirdness with the 1st-person view after /home-ing.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I am disappointed to report that the plugin is smart enough to simply give an error message if you type "/home" without setting one first. I tried it just to see if I could be teleported to a random location to die.
    edited February 2011
    That's a pity. I have the sudden urge to write a plugin that will warp you to a random location to die. Maybe /killme and it either finds a creeper and warps you next to it, or warps you into a lava pool or just throws you a million miles in the air.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I vote for it throwing you to the roof. Could be a lot of fun "skydiving" to your death.
    edited February 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I am disappointed to report that the plugin is smart enough to simply give an error message if you type "/home" without setting one first. I tried it just to see if I could be teleported to a random location to die.

Well there's the "sense of adventure" that some folks though was lost with using a /home plugin!

Use /home while having an inventory full of expensive materials and take a chance on being teleported to nothingness, or hoof it back? You make the choice.
    edited February 2011
    Well there's the "sense of adventure" that some folks though was lost with using a /home plugin!

Use /home while having an inventory full of expensive materials and take a chance on being teleported to nothingness, or hoof it back? You make the choice.

I agree, and not only is it a game still in beta, it's a plugin for a game still in beta; these things are bound to happen anyway. It's more interesting for /home to not be a Teleport Without Error. Though, maybe Notch'll eventually put in a Scroll of Recall or something.
    edited February 2011
    Dropped off a few chests at each of the major cart stations (IC Town, Grand Central, West, East, and North lines) with a few carts in them, the idea is that they are public carts available for public use, and to return them to a nearby chest when done with them.

Just an idea I had, had a bunch of extra iron and thought, "Well, why not?"
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Sweet, thanks Malpercio! Much appreciated, I've been out without a minecart before... and had to walk all the way from the skeleton grinder to Turnip Castle. That was a bugger of a walk. =P
    edited February 2011
    Not sure if you guys saw the PC Gamer Dev Diary update, here's the link if you haven't: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/09/minecraft-dev-diary-new-block-magic-fiddles/

I'm personally pretty excited about the new red stone block. And secret updates are always good!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I'm fairly disappointed that all the devs energy goes into adding new things rather than ever fixing the known bugs and issues already there.
This discussion has been closed.