How to mod the MadCatz SE Fightstick

124»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I would but it's not that cool to look at yet haha. I want some pretty specific art yet I know nothing of how to edit the photo, what kind of paper to use, and everything involved in that process.
  • edited December 2010
    How did you get your buttons to be blue with the black plungers? I wanted to a do a similar thing but they don't have those on Lizardlick.com what website did you get those? or is there to put a different colored plunger in the button. I was doing a Cammy stick *her alternate bison costume[magenta and pink with violet]* and wanted the buttons to be magenta with the violet plunger but they only have either magenta buttons or violet ones, please help
  • edited December 2010
    Does anyone know how to make the buttons have more resistance? The only real difference between the Sanwa and the default ones on the stick is that they work. I thought they would have more of a spring to them (having to press a little harder in order for them to work). To me it feels like if an ant walked on the button it would press down... I kind of like the ones at the arcade where it feels it needs a bit more effort.
  • edited December 2010
    And yes Jacob he explains on the video he switched them out.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Well, for me, that's always kind of been the point. The buttons press under minimal effort. I want to be able to input commands without being caught in the need for excess pressure.

Oh, and it's a good call to buy Sanwa because they are durable beyond all reason. Those parts will last you a long time.

I'm not familiar with any methods of increasing the resistance, but I'm sure there are some ways. I'll ping Rolleggroll and see if he has any ideas.

And yes, Jacob, like Oneironaut stated, I explain in the video how to swap the plungers on the pushbuttons. With the Sanway parts, there are two openings on both sides of the pushbutton cylindars. If you use a screwdriver, you can press it inside there to release the two clamps that hold the plunger in.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited December 2010
    Oneironaut wrote:
    Does anyone know how to make the buttons have more resistance? The only real difference between the Sanwa and the default ones on the stick is that they work. I thought they would have more of a spring to them (having to press a little harder in order for them to work). To me it feels like if an ant walked on the button it would press down... I kind of like the ones at the arcade where it feels it needs a bit more effort.

More resistance on the Sanwa pushbuttons? Why would you want this? That defeats the purpose :confused2. Anyways, The only way to get more resistance on the Sanwa buttons is to replace the buttons.

Seimitsu's generally require a little more effort to push down and activate a button - as in you need to do more than just glance the button - but are still considered "light" when compared to American buttons particularly Happ buttons. If you ever go back to your arcade, take a picture of the buttons so I have an idea of what kind they are. I can give you better advice if I see what kind of buttons you are used to. Chances are if its an American style layout + buttons it'll be Happ Competition pushdowns.

You can buy the Seimitsu: 30mm KN, GN, GNC, PS-14-G, PS-14-K. My recommendation would be to get the KN's. They are screw in types but it offers the most "resistance" when compared to the Sanwa's OBSFs and they are clear and pretty. All the Seimitsu buttons are compatible with any SE or TE stick. If its a screw-in type then you might have to sand down the lugnut in the "x" or light kick position. But that is easy.

You can also buy Happ Competition Pushdowns. I don't know if they fit on the SE's but they work with the TE's. Only time I use them is when I go back to my old arcade - which does not happen often.

TLDR : Buy new buttons and switch out your Sanwa's. Seimitsu or Happ. Both are available on lizardlick.com & modchipman.com

Side note: Oneironaut, if you are up to it we should get some games in sometime. What do you play?
  • edited January 2011
    Hey, I read you bought the PS3 joystick to use it in PC.

I can't use mine in my PC. I read in many forums that your need some kind of special USB card installed on your PC to make it work.

Do you know something about this? Any Help?
    edited January 2011
    I do know quite a bit about this, unfortunately.

I recently installed a new motherboard (MSI 890fxa-gd70) and I can no longer use my fightstick on my PC. It's one of the reasons why I bought a PS3, so I could use my fightstick again.

Basically, it boils down to this - Madcatz does not publish official PC drivers for the stick. They don't provide support for PC, either. The stick's functionality on PC is simply as-is. To them, the stick is made for 360/PS3, and if it happens to work on your PC, then all the better.

There are a slew of motherboards out there that, for whatever reasons, are not compatible with the fightstick. I did a lot of research when my fightstick stopped working on my PC, and it seems to be that only certain chipsets are compatible. No one has really been able to pinpoint the exact chipsets though. Results are terribly sporadic.

Many users with incompatible motherboards were finding some success in buying a 3rd party USB expansion card. There is no definitive list of working expansion cards though, because users were still seeing mixed results.

If Madcatz provided a driver, this would all be fixed. That will never happen, though.

I read through the entire fix the SE stick thread on Shoryuken and gave up without buying any expansion cards. They do have detailed information on the first page, but as I mentioned, results are not consistent. You'll have to do the research based on your own system before making a decision on which expansion card to buy. (Fortunately, they're pretty cheap)

In my case, I decided it would be better to just buy a PS3 rather than add an ultimately useless USB card to my PC, especially considering that Capcom has no immediate plans to bring Super SFIV to PC.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Good luck.
  • edited February 2011
    im currently having this problem with my joystick, it wont respond to any commands when i connect it to my pc. the buttons work fine but when i try to move the joystick, it doesnt respond at all. I think it might be my harness or the wires to it and my fightstick is a newer version. Here a picture of the inside and idk why i have a extra circuit board than whats in the video http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/vtecnik/SanwaFighstick.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    nvm fixed it i disabled it by accident
  • edited February 2011
    I just purchased a SE stick for 40$ plus shipping.
    The stick has all sanwa buttons and a JLF-TP-8YT-SK with a madcatz balltop(all plastic balltops are generally the same, am i right?). The JLF-TP-8YT-SK comes stock with a square gate but the seller said it had an octagonal gate when I asked. He sounded like he was unsure of what the gate was and I have yet to get a reply inquiring whether its a square or octagonal. I hope its a square just because its the standard but I suppose an octagonal will do, plus the whole thing will be about 45$ which is a damned good deal.
  • edited February 2011
    you should post this video in the Guile's Theme goes with everything section.
  • edited February 2011
    is there any difrence between JLF-TP-8YT-SK and JLF-TP-8YT-R ?
    edited February 2011
    David wrote:
    is there any difrence between JLF-TP-8YT-SK and JLF-TP-8YT-R ?

Orientation of the power plug is in a inconvenient place for the 8-YT-R. Get the 8YT-SK and just get a red balltop.
    Dvdrawr wrote:
    [...]

Its a square. Its standard.
    [...]

You'd have to ask UPSLynx to do that.
  • edited February 2011
    can i still replace the stock se joystick with the JLF-TP-8YT-R because without knowing i ordered that one instead ?
    edited February 2011
    David wrote:
    can i still replace the stock se joystick with the JLF-TP-8YT-R because without knowing i ordered that one instead ?

Yes* (with an asterisk).

I'm not sure if the harness (power plug thing) will reach. If it does, no problem. just plug it in no problems. If not, you might have to shell out for a longer harness (they are cheap) or look for some kind of extension (PITA).
  • edited February 2011
    thanks rolleggroll, very good info. im waiting to receive my order. hope for that harness to reach.
  • edited February 2011
    focusattack.com is a bit cheaper than lizardlick though they have a small selection of stuff unlike lizardlick still the website regularly offers coupon discounts. i just ordered 8 new buttons for less than 26 dollars including shipping!!! :)
  • edited March 2011
    I'm having a lot of trouble disconnecting the connections for the stick as well as the buttons. The plug for the joystick that is glued on will not come off for the life of me. I peeled the glue off the outside but it will not budge at all.

The quick disconnects will not move either. I've tried pliers and they will not move an inch. I swear I have a completely different model or something...
  • edited March 2011
    Never mind, finally got it...

I finally managed the buttons (breaking three of the buttons with how tight some of the connections were). I put the joystick in the hands of another person who didn't have inhibitions with putting full force into removing the plug.

Awesome video, thanks.
  • edited April 2011
    Just picked up a Wii MadCatz TvC stick for $10 new. I'm thinking about trying this mod. I'm assuming it would be the same? It looks like the same stick.
    edited April 2011
    toma wrote:
    Just picked up a Wii MadCatz TvC stick for $10 new. I'm thinking about trying this mod. I'm assuming it would be the same? It looks like the same stick.

Yes Toma, the guide works fine. Only key thing to note is there is this little cage of tubes for the PCB, wires and support. It does not change a single thing in the mod, but the layout looks slightly different.
  • edited July 2011
    i have alot of problems pulling out the quick disconnects out from the buttons ? can some1 help me?
  • edited July 2011
    Great tips! I bought my components from FocusAttack and they arrived in Canada in about 2 weeks. The instructions are clear and helpful; many thanks for creating it!

MadKatz places red epoxy on the screws. I had to dig some of it out on the joystick screws so that I could unscrew it. Also, I found that wedging my flat-head screwdriver under the button quick disconnects and twisting was helpful getting these off. One of the quick disconnects was binding and I had to pry it open a bit with my screwdriver, but all went well after that.
  • edited September 2011
    Hey, thanks so much for this. I'm from the UK and got the parts very quickly from LizardLick (great service). Buttons are fine and I got the tradition SF colours (six yellow buttons and two red!) and it looks awesome.

However, at the moment, the major problem I've encountered is when I've put in the SANWA joystick, it just doesn't seem to work. I will keep trying and just hope I haven't damaged the components when I've removed Madcatz crummy stick. I will persist however... Any other advice is appreciated.
    edited September 2011
    Make sure the joystick isn't getting disconnected from the control board. In the video I mention the adhesive that keeps the plug for the stock joystick in place. With my modded stick, I've found that as I carry it around and whatnot that plug tends to slide free and cause the joystick to not respond. I used a little piece of tape to hold in in place and keep this from happening.
  • edited September 2011
    Well I have the XBox 360 version and the amount of adhesive was ridiculous. Far worse than in your stick. I tried it with the back on and tried to keep the plug in place but nothing so far. I'll try some tape though. Thanks.
  • edited September 2011
    back "off" that should have read...
  • edited September 2011
    Well since my last messages I've had this thing working brilliantly! Thank you so much. Everybody should do this!
  • Good tutorial, and you're a good teacher for modding.

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/sanwa_parts/sanwa_joystick_red/12202.html
    Is this joystick a safe bet to use? Do I need any other parts to make it work in my Mad Catz joystick?