Advice for backing up over network

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited March 2011 in Science & Tech
I want to backup a folder from my main PC (running XP) over my network to an External HDD which is plugged into a PC running Windows 7.

I have looked into using the "Backup & Restore" options in both OS's but I don't want it to be saved in the format that these programs use (.bkf in XP). I just want the folder to be basically "Copy & Pasted" across each night overwritng the previous days data. Then if I ever need to restore the days data I simply plug the Ext HDD into a PC and copy the folder back across.

I've thought about maybe writing an AHK script, compiling it and then setting it up as a scheduled task, but thought I'd ask the question here first to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2011
    I had a recomendation from here to use Cobian. That will do what you want. You could used Cobian to back up the data locally and then a scheduled task to move it over the network.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited March 2011
    is there a way to schedule a task to "move folder" within XP?
    edited March 2011
    Actually it looks like Cobian will back it up over a network - so it may be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks mate.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Cobian is a great backup solution. Two thumbs up.
    edited March 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    Cobian is a great backup solution. Two thumbs up.

Agreed.