We do what we must, because we can.

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
edited April 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I need to find somewhere that goes over the ARG in its entirety, because this is fascinating.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Ask, and ye shall receive: Steampowered Thread

Interesting perspective on most recent findings: r/gaming comments
    edited April 2011
    <3

/me reads
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    It's boiled down to people need to play the Potato Sack games to reboot GLaDOS

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

When we do, Portal 2 drops.

-Digi
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    So, I need to buy more games to get a game I already bought to be released? ಠ_ಠ
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    MAGIC wrote:

I clicked on this thread to bitch about the very same thing. +1.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    More accurately, to be released early. I guess if it doesn't happen they'll release on time.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Considering it started at 98 hours and has dropped to 93 in just over an hour I think it will be out early enough on it's own.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    More accurately, to be released early. I guess if it doesn't happen they'll release on time.

If by on time you mean 5 months late, then yes it will be released on time.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    This is absurd. I fired up Defense Grid today and it's like... all changed and tied in with this whole madness. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON

DefenseGrid-ARG.png
    edited April 2011
    I swear by the dripping pustule on Loki's red ass that if I fire up Metroid Other M and find a Portal tie-in, I'm gonna go Columbine on somebody.
    edited April 2011
    y-u-mad-tho.jpg
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Nice... I fired up AudioSurf because it's the only game in the Potato Sack that I GlaDios said, "You must have had good taste in music... A long time ago..." and then proceded to pick her own song "The Device has been modified..."
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Heh, I got the song change on Audiosurf and played the C.H.A.S. levels on Defense Grid.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Just bought the whole potato sack. Time to contribute to GlaDOS@home... when I get home...
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    So, we are to buy games at a discount to help launch Portal 2 even though those games are discounted because they are old and/or don't sell well because they aren't that great of games?

No thanks. I will just be patient (something that is lost on most people) and wait for the scheduled launch day.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    The Wonderful End Of The World looks ok but I liked it better when it was called Katamari Damacy.
    edited April 2011
    I think just playing the games is good enough. If you already owned them, you could just start them up again and play the Portal levels to count towards the total.

Either way, it's an incentive to release early, not a trick to maintain the original release date or let it slip late. I dig it. I also won't buy games I don't already own, but I can appreciate the idea, and props to the Valve team for again doing something interesting and doing it right.
  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited April 2011
    I'm just doing my part by idling Amnesia's launcher at all times. Does Valve actually expect me to have the time/attention span to play these games at all times? Doubt it.
    edited April 2011
    I watched a livestream of people manning up and adding CPU power to Amnesia last night, entertaining stuff. I'm too much of a wimp to play that game.
    edited April 2011
    Defense Grid is an awesome game, though. I still recommend it if people don't own it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    An excuse to slack off and play Audiosurf? Why not.

Edit: the Portal makeover with Glados on the vocals is pretty sweet.
    edited April 2011
    I bought the whole potato sack... most of those games are good from what I've heard. I played Amnesia for a couple hours tonight. Definitely a creepy, creepy game. Audiosurf is a fun way to kill time (I've had it for a couple years). AAAaaaaaAAAaAaaa is fun and gimmicky. Looking forward to playing the rest.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Defense Grid is an awesome game, though. I still recommend it if people don't own it.

Yes, yes it is, I have sunk many hours into it since someone gave it to me during the Holiday Steam Sale. I've also had Audiosurf since it was released and I have yet to find a better rhythm/music game.

My complaint is mainly financial based: I want to participate in all the cool promo stuff for Portal 2 but there is absolutely no way I can justify buying the Potato Sack. I don't like that you have to be able to spend even more money to get the full effect of what is going on and I feel left out. Sort of like during the Holiday Sale with the "achievements" or "goals" or whatever they were, I couldn't get to the threshold for the mega giveaway because there was no way I could buy even the cheap games needed to get the required points; I ended up 1 point shy of qualifying.
    edited April 2011
    pigflipper wrote:
    I don't like that you have to be able to spend even more money to get the full effect of what is going on and I feel left out.

This statement describes so many things in life... does that mean you're going to rag on them all?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    This statement describes so many things in life... does that mean you're going to rag on them all?

Red herring and/or ignoratio elenchi. ;)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Oh Thrax, you and your fallacies. :-P

I pretty much see Valve as a business. This is a business move. A Brilliant one. IMO. They are selling 1000s of copies of games that are Years old.

-Digi
    edited April 2011
    It's good for the indie developers that made the games too... not just Valve. Plus people get exposed to brilliant games that they might not have otherwise known about. IMO it's a win-win-win situation.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    It's good for the indie developers that made the games too... not just Valve. Plus people get exposed to brilliant games that they might not have otherwise known about. IMO it's a win-win-win situation.

QFT. Plus, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much if I don't participate. I already own one of the games, so I can see the makeover, and I can live without Mr. Potato Head mode in TF2.
    edited April 2011
    Extra 10% off of Portal 2 for those that bought the Potato Sack, btw.