Rail system consolidation project

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Minecraft
So 1.5 dropped, which means rail booster segments, which means I can FINALLY update the original rail system.

While I'm at it, I'd like to connect it to a lot of the other standalone systems that are out there, since making multiple "Grand Central" style stations will be a lot easier now. (a lot easier because of much-reduced demand on space, resilience to server restarts, etc)

So...
  1. I'll work on updating all stations currently connected to grand central, including the 2 grinder stations that have always been a little half-assed.
  2. I'll rework the Barren Islands station (first stop on the North line) and turn it into a second grand central to support the 3 spur lines that have been connected to that station
  3. I know there are some extremely long subway lines that are in the world just above bedrock. These would be perfect for "Express" lines to remote parts of the map, and I'd love to connect to them.

Here's what I want from you:
  1. I want to connect our systems. But I have no idea where they are, officially. Especially the subways, although I've stumbled into them on accident in the past. Please post the name and coordinates (all 3 axes) of your lines. What would be ideal is to post the coordinates of the endpoints or stations and any turns. Need to get a picture of how they're laid out to find the most efficient tie-in points. I've started mapping out landmarks and rail lines/stations within 1000 blocks or so of 0,0 on an excel spreadsheet - will share as soon as I get home tonight.
  2. We're going to need iron.
  3. I'd like us to agree to a certain distance between stops. Making a line that stops 3-4x within 400 blocks is super annoying. Maybe we can all agree that stations need to be at least xxxxx blocks apart, because walking (xxxxx/2 max) blocks really isn't that bad?

Anyone interested?

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I don't have much iron, but I'll gladly donate to the cause as it is a noble one indeed.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I'll try to LWC a chest in Grand Central to be a deposit-only. Can LWC do that on our server? Never tried.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Sadly, no. LWC doesn't have deposit-only functionality. That said, I have LogBlock set to log chest action so if anything goes missing I can find out who did it.

I also just put in a feature request with the LWC developer(s) to add this functionality. We will see if they deem it worthy.
    edited April 2011
    eh, close enough. I think there's a public chest at Grand Central for minecarts. If anyone wants to donate iron for the cross-connect cause, please feel free to drop it off there.

Let us know what you donated so we know who to thank :)
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited April 2011
    I have 2 rail systems currently, one is the gun connected to the northern 'barren' island station that starts at;
    x: -382
    y: 75
    z: +177

and ends at;
    x: -854
    y: 68
    z: +19

There are no stops on this line but the ends. Techno, I dont know if you planned on working on swapping the boosters for new powered rails yourself (you have my permission to do so if you so wish) but I don't mind doing it myself on my own rails. Either way, let me figure out to work the boost inside the 'gun' itself, as it works a little different for dramatic effect.

My 2nd rail is a subway that goes from the bottom of my spire in icrontown to some crazy-ass mountains out west, but I don't think you'll be able to connect to them as it can only be accessed on either end via giant water elevator (not very rail-connection friendly). But I can get you the coords of each elevator that leads down to the subway if you are interested, just ask.

Edit; Also I have some rail, iron, and i might have extra gold (for the new powered rails) to donate to you techno, i'll slap some in that chest when I get the chance
    edited April 2011
    Awesome! Be sure to post the amount you put in the chest so we can watch for thefts.

Yeah, i was thinking how you would make a rail spiral inside the 'clip' on the gun, lol

Find the endpoints for the subway, who knows, might link it, even if it acts like a bridge for 2 other subways. I actually found myself in the bottom of your spire once, and took a chance on the subway not knowing where it went. I ended up a looooooooooooong way away, lol.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Of Note but not confirmed:
    If you place a detector rail adjacent to another rail line, the game will crash
    edited April 2011
    This can also be of help http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/gtsvx/before_you_complain_about_power_rail_being/

I will get you some coords of some lines/stations I would like to have setup tonight.... errr next time I log in (Portal2 mirite?)

-Digi
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited April 2011
    Find the endpoints for the subway, who knows, might link it, even if it acts like a bridge for 2 other subways.

Alrighty.

Start point at bottom of spire:
    x: +278
    y: 10
    z: +139

God help you if you plan to tunnel to this. Its surrounded. To the east is the batmine, and every other direction is other people's basements. It took a long time, a lot of turns, and a lot of sneaky stone repairs after accidental break-ins to dig my out of there without digging through anyone's stuff

End point in Western Crazy Mountains:
    x: -64
    y: 15
    z: +1114

If you ever do tunnel to get down to this point, please come in from the EAST, as the water elevator is to the south and would not enjoy being tunneled through, I have building plans for the immediate north, and mining plans for the west. You'll come in through a tiny sugar cane farm or my auto-cactus vomitor if you come in from the east, neither of which I care about and could repair/rebuild in 20 seconds.

Edit: Added 15 blocks of iron, 2 blocks of gold, and 108 pieces of rail to the chest in grand central in the back in the circuit/booster maintenance area (didnt put it in the minecart chest up front in case a sticky-fingered non-forum-reader happens by)
    edited April 2011
    Here's the map I've been working on to try and figure out the best way to expand the rail system.

I've added Gorzo's lines in with stars, The original rail system is in lines. When I started making this in January, I didn't think I'd need to go more than 1000, -1000. :)

http://icrontic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28903&stc=1&d=1303261702
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited April 2011
    Actually the rails go all the way out from The barren Isles to the skeleton grinder, with the launcher for the cart powered by the return booster to GC. (built by me of course)
    Also, I don't know how you intend on making the 'express' lines, but what I did on the return line from the skele grinder was to make a track around the station that drops onto a downward slope and picks up enough speed to be hit by a booster down the line.

EDIT: I'm up for helping with this, although I would like to add that in addition to standardizing stop distance, we should also find out where people want the stops built, as looking at the current map, there are many locations that are not on the rail system.
  • LoanstarrLoanstarr Ohio
    edited April 2011

Yeah, i was thinking how you would make a rail spiral inside the 'clip' on the gun, lol

IT'S A FUCKING MAGAZINE

clip_magazine.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1279244330073
  • edited April 2011
    rage.jpg

I like the clip on Gorzo's gun. It's cool, it makes the minecart look like it's being shot out from the trigger thing that makes the bullets go fast.

(I encourage all of you to egg loanstarr on about his anal retentive correction of using clip and magazine interchangeably)
    edited April 2011
    I'll check out how to use the bullet container as a shell tunnel thingy for minecarts.
    edited April 2011
    you could even build a magazine of minecarts inside of the clip that is there
    edited April 2011
    thought about it, but will have to wait until pistons come out to advance the carts inside the shell that holds the pointy bang things.
  • MechfoxMechfox Texas
    edited April 2011
    Dargon and I were working on a subway system, but it's not been completed. I'll get you coords. I can also supply iron.
    edited April 2011
    Mechfox wrote:
    Dargon and I were working on a subway system, but it's not been completed. I'll get you coords. I can also supply iron.

cool - endpoints and intersections would be awesome
    edited April 2011
    Ok, so I'm nearly done with the loop from the "western crazy mountains".
    If your stuff was along my route, let me know where you want a terminal, most of my track is 23 from the bottom.

Starting from the barren Islands stop:
    A 3 way selector for the grinder, strifeland, or back the way you came is at:
    +75
    +414

There is a hot stop (get out of the cart, with a one way line back to spawn) at the skelegrinder at:
    +63
    +281

If you chose to stay in the cart, the track takes you all the way out to
    +70
    +70
    +1073
    edited April 2011
    I tried to get on 2x, but can't do anything with this until the server updates to 1.5 :(
    edited April 2011
    There is a hot stop (get out of the cart, with a one way line back to spawn) at the skelegrinder at:
    +63
    +281

If you chose to stay in the cart, the track takes you all the way out to
    +70
    +70
    +1073

Don't understand what you mean. you have a rail from -541,+281 to +70,+1073?
    edited April 2011
    I have it set up so that you can get on the rail to travel back to spawn, but the car does not stop. There is an entrance ramp, but the track is continuous and goes past the "stop".

The rail goes from the barren islands stop all the way to +70,+1073. I labeled the stops/entrances you could use to travel on the system
    edited April 2011
    I have it set up so that you can get on the rail to travel back to spawn, but the car does not stop. There is an entrance ramp, but the track is continuous and goes past the "stop".

The rail goes from the barren islands stop all the way to +70,+1073. I labeled the stops/entrances you could use to travel on the system

but you're re-using the north line rail, right? so i don't need to do anything on the map. but it sounds like you're bypassing some kind of rail station that already existed. I'll have to look at it myself.
    edited April 2011
    I've started mapping out landmarks and rail lines/stations within 1000 blocks or so of 0,0 on an excel spreadsheet - will share as soon as I get home tonight.
    I'd like us to agree to a certain distance between stops. Making a line that stops 3-4x within 400 blocks is super annoying. Maybe we can all agree that stations need to be at least xxxxx blocks apart, because walking (xxxxx/2 max) blocks really isn't that bad?

Of course you dont need to add anything to the map...
    The bypass is for returning carts to GC through barren islands and the station I built (SLCT), as BI only links to Gorzo diamond, and SLCT only links to strifeland, both of which are more likely to be traveled to from GC, not from the grinder or the far west.
    I know there are some extremely long subway lines that are in the world just above bedrock. These would be perfect for "Express" lines to remote parts of the map, and I'd love to connect to them.
    Again, why bother adding to your map, its only a line set up as an express.

Also for comparison, this line is longer than the south and north IC lines combined, so it makes sense that technocrat would not add it to the map.
    edited April 2011
    Update:
    I changed the clip out in the gun, now its powered. Its not quite as cool as using carts, but hey, it works.
    Also I powered the rail from the skeleton grinder outwards to the station I am building near 1000.
    Power tracks make it fairly easy to do "stops" without having to get out of a cart, and at some point i'll switch over some of the bypasses to use this
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, where can I drop off iron for this, now that Bukkit is updated I can finally get back on and help ^^
    edited April 2011
    chest at the back of grand central - be sure to say what you put in there so we can watch for theft by non-forum-readers
    edited April 2011
    aight :D
    edited April 2011
    20 blocks of iron deposited for railwork use :)
    edited April 2011
    Dropped a stack of 64 gold ore in the furnace there with enough coal to smelt it. Also dropped 4 stacks of redstone in the chest.

-Digi