When is it time for a refresh?

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited April 2011 in Minecraft
The original minecraft server launched when MC was 1.1.2_01.

1.5 is out and there's a ton of new features that have happened between then and now that don't show up in the original (large) spawn area.
  1. When do we have another reboot day?
  2. Should we have 2 servers? Survival and Creative?

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    IMO:

1. Upon Official Release (11/11/11) if at all
    2. I don't play creative, that is up to those that would like to

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I'd tend to agree with Bobby. Starting a fresh world when the Official release drops seems like the best idea (if we want to start a fresh world). I could also possibly scrap my test server and run a "creative" server in its place.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    IMO:

2. I don't play creative, that is up to those that would like to

-Digi

I suppose that's kind of the idea. I don't do creative either, and acknowledge that it's a bit difficult to do the survival thing if, for example, there were to be copious amounts of resources everywhere, etc.
  • edited April 2011
    a fresh world? Like wipe the 1000+ hours of what people made.
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited April 2011
    I don't think a wipe would be well desired, certainly not by me. I could certainly be in favor of creating a new server on official release on 11/11/11, and if everyone migrates to that and stops using the old one, then maybe talking about removing the 'old' current world, or porting in parts of it, etc, etc, but just wiping it all away seems a bit rash, especially just for some new rail pieces and weather.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Our last reset was after biomes but before new trees / Lapiz

Weather is by biome, so it should be playing on all of the server currently. Trees have new saplings so you can plant any tree now. That leaves Lapiz, what else is not generated in the old parts of the server?

-Digi
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure that our last wipe was before biomes Bobby, specifically when MC went from Alpha->Beta.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Ardi's right about that, the new world went up right when the Beta dropped.

As for when to pack up and put away the current server, I'd say that the official release sounds just dandy for that.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    If the community does majority vote to wipe/refresh the official server, I'm assuming that anyone who is interested can pick up from the last save and carry on the existing world in whatever form those that want to keep it would desire.
    edited April 2011
    That is correct. I would make a final backup of the world and put it up for download on minecraft.ardichoke.info
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Like last time I am completly against a whipe of the world!! I will not for a third time redo all the hours of work that I and many others have done. I understand why we did it last time becasue we were building skynets way in the air because we couldn't die and therefore most of the stuff on the 1st world was way too dangerous. Now I do not know what future updates are on the horizon, but as of now there is no drastic changes like before, therefore if we nuke AGAIN!!! we will waste all the 1,000 of hours on are great projects. I (like last time) am 1000000% AGAINST NUKEING OUR LAND YET AGAIN.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited April 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Our last reset was after biomes but before new trees / Lapiz

Weather is by biome, so it should be playing on all of the server currently. Trees have new saplings so you can plant any tree now. That leaves Lapiz, what else is not generated in the old parts of the server?

-Digi

Its actually all been generated, which is why you dont find lapiz in the old server sections. Also i have looked in chests far out in the map (I found one at -3000 or so...but it was flooded by water for some reason), and so far havent been able to find cocoa beans. Those also should not be in monster spawner chests that are in the old map.
    edited April 2011
    so long story short I vote to have a creative server (the one we got now) and make another that all you others that want a fresh start can go to if that is possible. If not I vote to keep as is.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I am absolutely 100% against another server wipe. If we do it, I highly doubt I'll return.

There aren't enough changes yet that make a server wipe necessary. I doubt that the actual release will bring enough changes, either. The reason why we decided to wipe the original server was because we were playing with illegitimate resources and godmode. Once the game fixed these major game-breaking issues, we decided to start fresh.

Consider how many people we actually have playing anymore. Maybe seven people. We don't have the player numbers, nor community enthusiasm, to start a fresh server anymore.

Resetting would be, in my opinion, a huge mistake. I know most of us have no interest in trying to start all over again, and I seriously hope that we consider the implications before making such a move.
    edited April 2011
    Amen bro
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited April 2011
    I'm not too keen on a server refresh either, but I think it would be a great idea to reset town, spawn, and the area around both.
    Nobody is building much in those areas, town is lagging like heck all the time, and the only building I even see people in are UPS and my friends, all of which are on one side of town.
    Not that I'm looking to build anything there, but the area around spawn is controlled or built upon by people who just arent around anymore (or at least I havent seen them on in 2 months)

And I dont mean to offend, but its pretty depressing sometimes to see enormous areas around town claimed by someone named 'bandick', who it looks like just landgrabbed and logged off one day.

Again I dont mean to insult, but it would definitely nice to have IC town be more lively, and less like a ghost town shell of its former self.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I'm against a server wipe as well. I understand that it's a pain that we don't have some of the newer updates in our area, but I know I'm not willing to give up my hundreds of hours of building my own personal universe for some new trees, biomes, and lapis (or any other similar updates that might come). I've just put way too much work into creating everything, and a wipe would totally put me off playing anymore.

I understand both sides of the argument, but I completely agree with Lynx: starting over would be a huge mistake.
  • edited April 2011
    Could we not just move spawn to a new area when the game launches and those who wish to start fresh can, and still leave everything intact while maintaining contact with those who don't wish to restart?

There is a large island west of town that could be MC edited out and re-generated, while that would make for some interesting edges we might just have to push west from town to generate new land and name it

New New Icrontown!
  • edited April 2011
    I can't say what will happen in the coming months before 11/11 but splitting the already dwindling number of people actively playing would be detrimental.

Plus, I'm sure people who have logged many hours previously on the server but have since lost interest or moved onto other games will probably come back around for the official launch. Maybe they will be ok with having no trace of the many hours they spent mining and creating, but if they come back and can get a well deserved head start in New New Icrontown, I think they would be more likely to start spending time on the server again
    edited April 2011
    I'd like to see a survival server that resets every 1-2 months with a random map on a set day, and see the current server preserved as-is. Based on the comments so far, this is probably more in line with what I was thinking about when I originally started this thread, just didn't articulate it correctly / think about all the options.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I'd like to see a survival server that resets every 1-2 months with a random map on a set day, and see the current server preserved as-is. Based on the comments so far, this is probably more in line with what I was thinking about when I originally started this thread, just didn't articulate it correctly / think about all the options.

I wouldn't want to do anything to the server we have, as it is, but creating a second more potentially dangerous place to explore and survive with our friends, where we know nothing is permanent, would be neat. We would even be able to have fewer rules about behavior, since it's all temporary anyway.

Might get the Mitey Worriers to play again for a bit. We haven't been on since we started a Civ V game a couple months or so ago (Tonight will likely be the last evening of that game).
    edited April 2011
    sounds like there's some traction behind using the test server as a survival server. part of the survival would be suffering test plugins, lol.

Suggestions for duration / frequency of resets on the survival server? I know I'd be interested to repeatedly try to see how quickly I could get a functioning rudimentary community going, but I like that kind of challenge. At what point do you think you're "established" in MC? Maybe that x 2?
    edited April 2011
    I like where this is going.
    edited April 2011
    I like where this is going as well, and after reading the responses about resetting our world, I can't say I'd recommend resetting it either, I'm not opposed to it as I'm sure there will be a bunch of new things, but hard work, time, effort, yadda yadda.
    edited April 2011
    You just don't want to lose your enormous phallus.
    edited April 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    You just don't want to lose your enormous phallus.

It's the only one he has.

:troll:
    edited April 2011
    CB wrote:
    I wouldn't want to do anything to the server we have, as it is, but creating a second more potentially dangerous place to explore and survive with our friends, where we know nothing is permanent, would be neat. We would even be able to have fewer rules about behavior, since it's all temporary anyway.

This is, more or less, what my test server is right now. It's a playground. I tend to throw interesting plugins on there that sometimes have screwy effects on the world (such as the NetherGate plugin which is currently running on there). I don't enforce any real rules on there. If I deem it necessary, I may wipe it and start over.
    edited April 2011
    if MC ever comes out with a way to up difficulty (one bite from a zombie/spider is fatal, creepers have 2x blast damage and are fatal) this would be a good place to do that as well.
    edited April 2011
    It's the only one he has.

:troll:

I can always make more. <===3
    edited April 2011
    cola wrote:
    I can always make more. <===3

You make boners? I'll bet you do. ;D
This discussion has been closed.