Will my computer run Guild Wars?

Southern-OtakuSouthern-Otaku South Fulton, TN
edited April 2011 in Hardware
i recently went to the can you run it site to see if my computer was up to par to play guild wars. it said i was above minimum but not yet to recommended. i was half way to that. is this goin to be a huge hindrance? it said my video card should be better. id appreciate any comments and feedback as im close to buyin this game.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    What kind of hardware do you have? Post your specs.

Also: welcome to Icrontic :)
  • Southern-OtakuSouthern-Otaku South Fulton, TN
    edited April 2011
    see, as far as computers go, im a novice. maybe even below lol. i do know its an older model. would optiplex sx280 help? sorry lol. and thanks :D this website is great.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Dells site w/ system specs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opsx280/en/ug/specs.htm

Guild wars isn't a very taxing game... with the base specs on that box though I wouldn't expect it to play much more than solitaire. You can probably pick up a lower-end PCI express video card and get away with playing Guild Wars (I remember I used to play it on my Athlon XP 1800+ back in the day). Any gaming beyond that and you should really invest in a newer computer though. Even a $500 system would be a huge upgrade compared to what you have.
    edited April 2011
    yea, this was bought at an auction without diving too far into the specs. this was a big mistake on my part. a friend brought to my attention that some pc's cant have their video cards changed. with what little info i gave can it be determined if i can or not? i'd just save up and buy another but i'd feel stupid because i just bought this one. again, i really appreciate the feedback. its hard to find forums with people willing to help rather than bashin someone for mistakes of noobishness lol
    edited April 2011
    No problem. I moved these posts out of the Guild Wars discussion from 2005 and into the right area :D

Knowing the OptiPlex systems: If I recall, if it's a "horizontal" system (the computer is longer than it is tall when it sits on your desk), you may need a very specific kind of card because most of them physically won't fit in the case.

If you could post a picture of your computer (or even better, the inside!) that would help us tremendously.

There's still a chance you can upgrade the video card to something that could definitely play Guild Wars, so you're not totally screwed yet :)
    edited April 2011
    ah, i didnt realize that i was in the wrong type of forum lol. it is longer than it is tall. there is about a 2'' difference. the whole pc is in a type of frame where the monitor is in front on a stand with the computer hangin from the back gripped by plastic hooks. this may be pointless to add. i dont know if this is specific for this computer or just a frame that came with it. (can you tell im not too savvy about computers yet?) if a picture can help if you give me a minute ill upload one. thanks for all the help, seriously. i hope i not takin advantage of anyone's hospitality. seein as though i just made my account yesterday lol
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    IIRC from my days at MTU servicing Dells... you just need to make sure you get a "low profile" card.
    edited April 2011
    l.jpg27324870#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A27324870%7Ddoes this help any?
    edited April 2011
    You're not taking advantage. We love new friends :)

Unfortunately, you have one of the computers that doesn't have a PCI-express slot; therefore there is nothing you can do to upgrade the graphics card.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Here's your motherboard: No upgrade slots at all:

iniBxE.jpg
    edited April 2011
    although im very disappointed im glad to have someone tell me now before i went out and spent more money lol. so to sum up everything, i cant run guild wars. right? maybe im bein to optimistic lol
    edited April 2011
    Well you can always try. The only thing you can do is make sure you have the latest video drivers, and hope for the best.

Honestly, though, it'll run like crap. That system was designed for basic business use (internet, microsoft office).

Time to save up for a gaming PC!
    edited April 2011
    On the bright side, gaming PCs can be built very cheaply (well, relatively speaking)... Our recommended system guide has a $500 PC that will absolutely plow through Guild Wars.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    where...exactly is the Icrontic system guides? I see the 2008 one, but...
    edited April 2011
    All subscribers have access to it:

http://icrontic.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    All subscribers have access to it:

http://icrontic.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134

Ah, had to remove the default "Show only posts within the last 30 days" part
    edited April 2011
    well, im goin to try to get some use out of this one before i go ahead a buy another. i feel like i rushed into things to fast but it cant be helped now. i really appreciate all the help yall. ive been saved from wastin a fairly large chunk of cash lol. if there is anyway i can help out with this site id be happy to in return for all the help i recieved.
    edited April 2011
    Ah, no worries. Just stick around and enjoy the community :)