Nintendo 3DS first impressions

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    What I've been hearing a lot of is that the plastic is very cheap and the button design is very uncomfortable. However, knowing nintendo, that does sound like total bullshit.

I really want to try one out, these sure do sound impressive.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I think pre orders were probably soft because this is just one of those things you need to see in person first. A photo on the internet just can't explain the effect. I can't wait to see one first hand.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    QuadWhore wrote:
    What I've been hearing a lot of is that the plastic is very cheap and the button design is very uncomfortable.

Total BS. I don't find that to be the case at all.
    I think pre orders were probably soft because this is just one of those things you need to see in person first.

I agree. I think most people see the weak launch lineup, and aren't excited about 3D. Then, tack on the high price to that and you have a tipping point that says "Meh, I'll wait."

I made my decision the moment I picked one up and played with it at SXSW at the Capcom booth. Seeing it with my own eyes and realizing what was going on was the decision-maker for me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Hopefully they'll have one set up at Best Buy or someplace like that, so people can play with it, and see what the big deal is.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    The problem with demo units is that everyone will have access to play, and Nintendo issued a warning about children under the age of six using the 3DS because it could cause vision problems in developing children. With a demo unit at Best Buy or some such, any kid can just walk up and play it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Nintendo issued a warning about children under the age of six using the 3DS because it could cause vision problems in developing children.

HOT COFFEE IS HOT!

so what happens when a 7 year old goes blind using his 3DS? ;D
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2011
    I'm just finding it hard to get excited about it. I love my DS but again I've found that the ongoing lineup has been relatively stale when compared to what's coming out for iOS and Android. My favorite DS games are several years old now.

I was hoping that the 3DS would enlighten and excite me but so far other then revamping some games into 3D I'm just not seeing the draw. While the iOS and Android game markets are putting out more games at significantly better price points and with a much greater variety.

I mean iOS has a WoW equivalent in the pipe. That could be insane.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    QuadWhore wrote:
    What I've been hearing a lot of is that the plastic is very cheap and the button design is very uncomfortable.

While I agree that this is BS, there does seem to be some software issues for some early 3DS adopters. You can read a full article here, but the summary is that some users are getting a "black screen of death". A firmware update was released, which may fix the issue.

I'm always a little nervous when I hear this sort of stuff. After getting some PSP lemons in a row and then the Red Ring crap, my tolerance for game system lemons is at a stretching point. =P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Spent the past few hours with my 3DS, and it doesn't feel cheap to me.

/me shrugs

(omg pokemans)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I just bought a dsxl, zomg so big. pokemans is sawesome.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I love, love, LOVE my 3DS. I took a dump while winning two street fighter 4 online matches in a row presented in glasses-less stereoscopy. To much information doesn't negate that it is awesome information.

The AR stuff really blew my mind. I had no idea just how cool all of that stuff would be. This conglomeration of technology just... it just owns.

As for the "Black screen of death", everyone is making far too big a deal about it. I had one (and only one) happen to me last night while playing Street Fighter. I rebooted the device and continued to play. That was it. The device wasn't bricked, and it was barely more than a minor inconvenience. This isn't to the scale that Xbox saw, and the actual percentage of people "gravely affected" is rather small. Whatever.

Build quality is awesome. It doesn't feel cheap at all. It has such a satisfying girth to it, it's heavy and solid, the way I like my devices to be. It doesn't feel fragile. The buttons feel just as they did on the DS, if not a touch nicer.

The start, select, and home buttons suck though. I'm not a fan of the whole "sort of soft fake ish buttons" style. Give me a button or nothing at all, don't do that funky faux-pushbutton style.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    So what your saying is that you had the best dump ever?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    THIS DUMP IS THE BEST DUMP EVAR!! IT IS EXTREME!!!!

That's when you know you're really hardcore. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to let you go; my cookies are done.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    THIS DUMP IS THE BEST DUMP EVAR!! IT IS EXTREME!!!!

That's when you know you're really hardcore. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to let you go; my cookies are done.

I have to go get..... them.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    As usual... Yahtzee pretty much sums up how I feel about the 3DS.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3112-Nintendo-3DS
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I got one as an early birthday present last weekend, and the ideas and technology are amazing, but it doesn't fit well in my hands, and I get wrist cramps when I play SSF4 QQ