Brink

waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Gaming
Anyone else looking forward to this title? It's the successor to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars which I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past. The SMART movement system and slide tackling definitely make the game unique.

Videos!:

The Basics
Objectives
General Gameplay

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Been watching, somewhat interested myself - Mirror's Edge but with better gun-fu.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2011
    Oddly I was looking forward to it until I watched those videos. The videos look cool. I'm just not interested in that level of twitch.
  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited May 2011
    Now here is finally a game where I don't know what to expect. I could really like it or it could absolutely flop, and until I play it I am not going to make any pre-conceived notions.(I do hope it is good, but I wouldn't put money on the table that it's going to be good like I would for the Witcher 2)
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    A friend of mine and I were eager to give this game an early shot and pre-purchased it on Steam. Tonight at midnight it was unlocked and released and I gotta say so-far so good! There seem to be the typical issues with Steam and the new release blitz that can sometimes give validation servers a fit, but personally it loaded fine and came up without an issue.

Gameplay feels like something different. The SMART system has so-far done only what I actually wanted it to do, and allows you to get into some neat spots/perform some cool moves, without much effort at all. The bots are bots, and provide for some entertaining and sometimes strange action, but all-in-all they do pretty well and present a decent challenge (for me anyways). Co-op with my bud against bots it feels like even if you are mowing them down, they are persistent, and keep coming back faster then seems... prudent?

Something great I found with Brink was how it seems to strike a perfect balance between an online FPS twitch-or-die, and a linear story driven shooter. I can play online if I want, or just do co-op with friends, or just do the whole game solo, and not feel like I'm completely missing major chunks of content because I play one way and not another.

I've been seeing folks having technical issues with the game, anything from unimpressive frame rates to a complete refusal to run, and I personally had to kick the router settings again to get any network play functional.

Would I recommend it? If you like the idea of a fun lovechild between Battlefield and Borderlands, good chance Brink will tickle you.