AMD unleashes the Cayman-based FirePro V5900 and V7900

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    The original term was "geohancement" I think. Either way, I expect AMD to be calling with a job offer any moment now.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I approve of the RealTalkâ„¢ review. Thanks for talking about the real world benefits of the card and not just puking up bar graphs. Bar graphs have their place, but they don't showcase just how cool these new FirePros are.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I wish more people understood the value of AMD PowerTune. It's not like other power management technologies that simply cut your clockspeed in half when the GPU gets too hot. In fact, it's a power management technology that's actually designed to <i>raise</i> the average level of performance.

When you go to design a GPU, you have a specific thermal power draw you want to target. Let's say it's 300W. All the components on the board have to be orchestrated in just such a way that the board doesn't draw more than that in most cases, but applications like Furmark and OCCT are an engineer's worst nightmare: they easily push any GPU without powertune past their envelope.

They push things past their envelope because they do something that no game would ever do: run the clockspeed up to maximum, then run every single shader/SIMD at maximum capacity. It's completely unrealistic, but people use these tools, and you have to deal with them.

So, in the past, you really had two options:
    1) Design the card with clockspeeds so low that apps like OCCT and Furmark don't push the GPU past its envelope, or...
    2) Overengineer the shit out of the card so it can survive prolonged operation well past the targeted envelope.

#1 robs the consumer of performance in games, and #2 would make graphics cards incredibly expensive. So you have to strike a balance between under-specing and over-engineering, and hope that the public doesn't design an app that rakes your gamble over the coals.

In sweeps PowerTune, which intelligently locks the card at its targeted envelope. What happens when you can now guarantee--with very little additional hardware engineering--that your card is safely protected from long stints beyond spec?

You can raise the maximum clockspeed! This means everyday games and applications can benefit from a <i>much</i> higher maximum clockspeed. Does that performance come at the expense of soul-crushing apps like Furmark and OCCT? Yes, it does. But if you bought a GPU to run Furmark all day, maybe you need to reconsider your priorities.

Let me give you a real scenario:
    The AMD Radeon HD 6990 shipped with an 830MHz clockspeed. If AMD didn't have PowerTune to protect the card from those outlier apps, then we would have had to ship the card in the low 600MHz range to make sure that the thermal output of the card at full blast didn't damage the hardware.

Now look at the GTX 590, which still uses the "hurrdurr board hot cut clockspeeds" method. What frequency did it ship at? 607MHz.

PowerTune was directly responsible for giving more performance to the gamer in the 6900 Series, and now AMD's FirePro lineup can do the same for DCC users.

It's awesome.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for posting that. RealTalkâ„¢
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    pragtastic wrote:
    The original term was "geohancement" I think. Either way, I expect AMD to be calling with a job offer any moment now.

I seem to remember this conversation.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I seem to remember this conversation.

haha, yep. Discussed over beers and a game of Dominion in the ICHQ garage.

The flow was something like this:

Geohancement>GeoBoost>GeometryBoost.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    geodude.gif
    edited May 2011
    That shit's super effective, son.
  • edited May 2011
    anything from amd has got to be a plus
  • edited May 2011
    good site
  • edited May 2011
    Do you know if there will be a 4900? I'm torn between the benefits, features, power, performance of the AMD cards, vs. Cuda for 3DS Max... arrgh
  • edited May 2011
    @Brian (primesuspect) - First before you cast stones, maybe you should look in the mirror, kiddo. See, the deal with multi-page reviews is that we actually provide useful data, instead of random miscellany and snarky drivel-fluff. But before you go that route, you actually have to register on the radar of major manufacturers so you can actually get product to test. Wait, let me snap a few slides from a PDF deck that I didn't create... that's content and I can take shots at the guys with real data in the process. Yeah, I'm cool. All good. :)
    edited May 2011
    LOL Y U MAD THO

ic4IxW.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, Dave!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I could really put (even) the V5900 to good use. We're currently running quadro fx4880's, and for what we do it just isn't enough.

Did you say you'd run SPEC benches? Or have they already been done elsewhere?

If this card did game worth a hoot I would use it at home as well. :bigggrin:
    edited May 2011
    Benchmarks forthcoming.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    BAQ2x.jpg
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    It might be the fact that you said their website looked old and junk as you linked to them. :tim:
    edited May 2011
    bwahahahahaha!
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it's all good. We hugged it out via email. Friends again.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited May 2011
    One V7900 vs two Quadro 4000 cards sounds nice....now if Adobe will just rewrite the mercury playback engine to run using OpenCL rather then living on the island of CUDA forever (that or someone needs to write a CUDA emulator for OpenCL video cards...I heard there was one in development but there was legal issues that still have not been resolved)
    edited May 2011
    AMD told us that Adobe is working on cranking out OpenCL support for MPE. It's not hard to figure out that we'll probably see OpenCL in the next version of CS (I don't anticipate it as a patch to CS 5.5, but who knows? That would be awesome +)
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited May 2011
    sweet....I see head to head beanchmarks for MPE with Quadro vs FirePro once Adobe releases MPE with OpenCL support.

I question whether Adobe will drop CUDA support for MPE once they release OpenCL support, since Quadro Cards also support OpenCL; or if they will give people with CUDA supported cards the option to choose to between CUDA and OpenCL.
    edited May 2011
    Adobe is pretty excited about OpenCL and are working with AMD to implement. It will certainly happen sooner than later.