The Icrontic Mac Defender and Mac Protector removal tool

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You did better than Apple did
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Sweet, now THIS is customer support! Thank you Apple for finally admitting that you have a problem and coming up with this simple, easy-to-use tool that--

Oh wait. That's right. They didn't. In the meantime, awesome work, Phil. Hope this aids some poor fool that's in need of a helping hand.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    This tool is useless since Macs never get viruses or malware or spyware. Clearly this is a failed attempt by PC users to denigrate the Apple name and its superior, magical products.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Mmm, taste the Apple magic! It tastes like... chalk dust. And... other strange, white substances.
    edited May 2011
    Someone who is on the apple forums should go and post a link in the support area for this. Page views over 9000?!?!?!
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Great job, Phil!
  • HO
    edited May 2011
    ...oh wait....Macs aren't supposed to be malware free????

Hmmmm, I'm happy with my Win7, at least MS doesn't hide the facts with Koolaid like Mapple, we know there is that called malware, not like Win7 get's a lot but is there, still, Mapple gets malware and like Hitler in WW2 denies it, yup, it's all koolaid for the mindless drones.
  • edited May 2011
    I just got that annoying macdefender. I googled it and came up with this site. I downloaded it and it didn't work. I then contacted the company and got help and they told me how to get to it from another direction. It worked beautifully and before I could send a thank you email, the system was cleaned and everything working great again.

As I told the rep I spoke with...you guys rock!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Haha, thanks Derek. We're not a company, per se... We're just a group of friends and geeks who help when and where we can. Phil (Rootwyrm) is the guy who wrote the software, and thanks to your emails with me, I updated the article with instructions in case it doesn't work.

Thanks for stopping by Icrontic!
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    And the best part? There's a new version being worked on as I write this (@$%!*ING Xcode!) which will be even EASIER to use.
    edited May 2011
    As a note; the current release (5/23/2011) does NOT and cannot remove the following new variants discovered as of 5/25:
    MacGuard + avRunner Trojan Downloaer
    MacSecurity
    Work is in progress to obtain samples of these new variants and add the capability to remove them ASAP.
  • edited May 2011
    ManyThanks this thing downloaded itself and was bothersome.
    appreciate the help.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Glad to have helped!
  • edited June 2011
    wheres the zip file?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    rnJNa.png
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    RootWyrm wrote:
    And the best part? There's a new version being worked on as I write this (@$%!*ING Xcode!) which will be even EASIER to use.
    Even though I neither own a Mac nor like Apple, I think what you're doing is fucking epic. This is why I love Icrontic.
  • edited June 2011
    I tried the fix. It did not work. Suggestions?

Kate
  • edited June 2011
    Thank you, that virus was a pain, glad to have it gone, thank you.
  • edited June 2011
    it didn't work :(
    edited June 2011
    If you've updated OS X in the last month, either manually or automatically installed updates, this tool will no longer work. Apple finally added an automatic removal routine to OS X which attempts to block, and removes all 13+ variants. This tool can only remove the first two, and when Apple added their update, the malware authors started creating variants at a rate that was impossible to keep up with.
    If you haven't installed the latest OS X updates, that's definitely the first thing you should do. Then make sure that automatic updating is turned on - Apple is still pushing new definitions every 24-48 hours or so.
  • No matter how many times I use your Removal tool to remove MacDefender, the Removal tool always finds it again. I've done this 15 times already.

Also, Sophos always finds the Archive.pax.gz file, gets hung-up and basically freezes -- so I guess there really is SOMETHING BAD stuck in this Mac.
    RootWyrm said:

If you haven't installed the latest OS X updates, that's definitely the first thing you should do.