The Witcher 2: an imperfect masterpiece

Comments

• ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    For $50 the 'eventual' expansion pack is included?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm not entirely sure how this game is supposed to be possible to finish. The combat is so damn hard. Usually I play my games on the hardest difficulty so I can pretend I'm a good gamer. But Insane difficulty is absolutely ridiculous without the ability to load. I dropped the difficulty down to hard and I still can't make progress with any sort of speed.

Does any one else seem to think so too, or am I missing something when in combat?
  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited June 2011
    It IS that difficult, I was playing on normal until a point where I couldn't make any progress, where I just changed it down to easy. You should have no shame playing this game on easy, or at least that's what I tell myself.
    edited June 2011
    I bumped it down to easy for on side quest and it was TOO easy though. The difficulty scaling in this game seems to be kinda sky rockets.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    Minor niggle when did 20+hrs become a monster of a game? That to me should be the starting point for an RPG.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I agree. 20 hours is nothing. Dragon Age: Origins still felt short at around 40 hours, and another one of my favorite games, Front Mission 3 for the PSX, offered more than 60 hours of play.
    edited June 2011
    20+ hours became a monster game when FPS single players became the standard for comparison. Those games are maybe only 10-15 hrs usually, something easily playable in one day. Even some modern RPGs suffer from being to short (Fable).

It's just the game companies trying to get us to pay more for less.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    Depends on the game and the point of play. In an RPG, I would expect at least 20 as a starting point. 40hrs is sorta my expectations and 60+ is gravy, because there are times where a game that last to long won't deliver either.

As for shooters though I wouldn't expect a shooter to be more then 10hrs on the single campaign. But that's not so much the point of a shooter, the campaign mode is often the 'demo' these days. The bulk of the time comes from multi-player or just replaying the campaign. Because unlike an RPG most often knowing the story in a shooter doesn't ruin it. Your there for the action. Same for fighting games.
    edited June 2011
    Yes I understand that. My point is that FPS has become the standard to which we measure game length because the market is so flooded with them. Therefor the 20-30 hrs the Witcher provides can be considered a very long time. It wasn't specified as a massive RPG it was specified as a massive game.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    337 hours played in Dragon Age: Origins (including all DLC's)

that's my standard for massive game
  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to clarify that only 1 playthrough is 20+ hours long but at the most you can experience 60% of the total content. You would need to play again and make different choices in order to experience everything.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    agreed. a 20 hour game with huge replay value (different in game decisions cause different outcomes) makes a big difference

take mass effect. I'm at 52 hours right now. you have the paragon path, the renegade path, and then who/if to romance. makes a game worth the $50