MMO chronicles: my first foray into F2P gaming

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Gaming
Let it never be said that I have a fond place in my heart for free-to-play titles, <i>especially</i> MMOs. Like World of Warcraft, and EverQuest before it, I have played MMOs for more than 10 years, each time subscribing to a model where my time and skill are the only currencies required for seeing all these games have to offer once I have paid my way through the door.

Like DLC, F2P titles burden me with the overwhelming feeling of being nickel-and-dimed for content. I also can't shake the feeling that F2P has become the new business model for games that weren't good enough to command monthly subscribers.

Let's review: Dungeons & Dragons Online, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online, APB: All Points Bulletin (and many more) have completely failed to hit critical mass--often in spite of AAA IP--because of behemoths like World of Warcraft.

Apologists can (and will) dismiss the comparison, but it bears driving the point home: these games could not survive by charging people a monthly fee. Evidently, the quality or quantity of the game was not sufficiently compelling to draw players away from their MMO of choice, or to attract new players into this classic model.

The solution has become the free-to-play model, which allows the developers to drastically downsize server and support operating costs in favor of a system that charges players a few cents here or there for weapons, armor, vanity items and the like. It's the ultimate shoestring survival budget.

Until today, I have not had one lick of a desire to play an F2P game, but Valve's recent flirtation with the genre has inspired me. Over the next couple of weeks I will give my thoughts on playing my first F2P title, Forsaken Worlds. During my time with the MMO, not only will I test my prejudices against the F2P model, but evaluate the game itself as a player who has spent considerable time with MMOs over the years.

I'll see you in Eyrda.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    And we're off to a fantastic start:

eoNHm.png
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    F2P games appeal to players like me. I have one evening a week in order to play video games, and in that evening I can spend about four hours. That timeframe, to me, doesn't justify the cost of a full $13/mo subscription, but I'm willing to microtransact for the time I do play.

A couple examples. I played DDO on this weekly basis for about three months on the free content alone, then another month on the content I spent about $20 acquire. The same amount of time in WoW would have cost me more, and I would have been left with the nagging feeling that I was wasting my money if I skipped a session, and I don't like that.

Guild Wars cost $50 to purchase originally. I believe I've gotten a great return in gameplay hours, but in the case of Guild Wars, I was able to stop playing for a while, and casually pick it back up any time I desired, without incurring a monthly fee while I was doing something else.
    edited June 2011
    7B9SB.png

One of the first things I noticed about Forsaken World is how strongly it is appealing to the casual player.

The launch menu, like most recent MMOs, has a rotating news ticker that highlights the newest events and features the game has to offer. Today Forsaken World is offering these choice picks:

1) Pet Item Sale: "Skills, pets, dawn scrolls and more!"
    2) Guide - Pet Inheritance System: "Let the old live on in the new!"
    3) Guide - Wedding System: "Learn how to get married!"
    4) Best In Show - Dog Show Event!: "Think you've got a good dog?"

In-game marriage have been a staple of "family guilds," better known as casual players, since Ultima Online. Even in EverQuest, I couldn't go a week without a marriage being conducted in some particularly idyllic setting, almost always between members of guilds known to have no prowess with advanced/difficult content.

More recently, Blizzard has begun to monetize the casual player's love of cute, but ultimately useless pets, called companions, that follow the player around the game world. To wit, $10 will gain you the companionship of cute little critters like the Cenarion Hatchling.

While I do not begrudge players buying a pet (it's their hard-earned money after all), I begrudge the cost. $10 is very near to the monthly subscription price, for a pitiful fraction of the content. Is $10 really worth a vanity pet, when $15 is the price of a ticket for hundreds of in-game pets, items and upgrades? I doubt it.

But I digress.

By now you've likely noticed that I throw "casual" around almost as a pejorative. That's close to the truth, as I do not love players who expect the same quantity and quality of content as another player just because they've also paid the $15 to play. That's only the price of entry, my friends, and it's a combination of time and skill that warrants the rest.

This war has engulfed World of Warcraft over the years, and in many respects the "casual" mentality has won out. Items of unthinkably rare quality are now easily obtainable, where years ago they were mythical to most, and obtained by an elite few who exhibited the coordination required to obtain them. But "casual" puts asses in the chair, and dollars on the table, so it's no mystery why Blizzard has leaned in that direction. It's also no mystery why Forsaken World follows the same course.

It's amazing what a launch screen can tell you about a game.
    edited June 2011
    Already I am disappointed by Forsaken World's integration with Steam. I was hoping that Steam would handle version checking and patching, but it seems that Steam is merely the delivery system that provides the initial payload. Upon launching the title for the first time, I was immediately prompted to download patch 0.68.0.

That's fine, but I'm still unable to launch the game, so I was hoping I could verify my Steam cache. That won't work when the version Steam provides is different from what Forsaken Worlds' updater provides, which means I'm just in an endless loop of patching and verification.

For that matter, the game's own verification says my cache is fine, so I am currently out of solutions that could get this game up and running.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't think you picked a good one to start with. DDO is much higher quality and more robust, compelling F2P game for less casual gamers.
    edited June 2011
    CB wrote:
    I don't think you picked a good one to start with. DDO is much higher quality and more robust, compelling F2P game for less casual gamers.

I lightly disagree. Forsaken World has largely positive reviews on Metacritic, and it seems to have a fairly impressive graphics engine. I'm also encouraged by the "vibrant community" and large player base some of the reviewers report.

I'm sure DDO is a fine option all the same, however.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I wish to join you, but can't. Forsaken World is one of the few PC-only games on the list. Stupid Macs and doing most of my gaming from work. :(
    edited June 2011
    Buddy J wrote:
    and doing most of my gaming from work. :(

Alas, if only my life were so difficult! ;D
    edited June 2011
    After a considerable effort to get Forsaken World running on my system, I admit defeat by way of apathy. I don't care enough about this game to continue troubleshooting why the title will not launch.

It's time to consider another MMO. LOTRO or DDO look appealing, but that may be because they're the first ones that come to mind.
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited June 2011
    DDO may disappoint you. It is really on the twink end of D&D where everyone is wielding +10 weapons with 3 magic mods each and other absurdities.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    For F2P, DDO, Champions, and LOTRO are all good. Bear in mind, though, part of what makes those three games good is they they were all P2P before being F2P, so they sort of have the best of both worlds. But then again, there's a reason why they went F2P...
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Also, while not really F2P, Warhammer Online has an endless free trial that will quench a PvPer's thirst for murder. WAR has one of the best PvP systems I've seen.
    edited June 2011
    After playing DDO, LOTRO was a disappointment for me, partially because it's wildly different in control and play style and partly because it's race-based, when our group of friends each picked a different race, we had to play for hours before we could meet up in a single location, and even then it was difficult to play, because the area where we met up (the Shire) provided quest rewards tailored toward the Hobbits.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    DDO may disappoint you. It is really on the twink end of D&D where everyone is wielding +10 weapons with 3 magic mods each and other absurdities.

I have not experienced this in any way. However, I have only played the game with close friends who learned the game alongside me, and we play rather insularly.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    I really enjoy DDO. The biggest draw for me in DDO is that it differs from almost every other MMO in one key aspect. The control system makes the game much more of an action adventure style of game. It's not point click kill. You want to run up to something and kill it. You use WASD controls to run up to something then you click your mouse to swing your sword and if you are close enough to connect you do.

Sneaking around feels like sneaking around, jumping and climbing around in dungeons is lots of fun. It's not Assassins Creed good, but it does feel like you are in more control of a character exploring a dungeon. Also the dungeons have traps, and secret doors and all sorts of cool ways to interact with them.

My biggest complaint is that DDO is an all or nothing system. By that I mean you only get any real experience for completing a dungeon. So if you get into a long dungeon and have to quit you are only going to maybe pick up a small amount of XP for accomplishing a few things in the dungeon. This isn't much of a problem early on when you can clear out must dungeons in 10-15minutes, but then some take 30 minutes and others take an hour+.

This is all good if you have the time, but frequently I don't. Also my other complaint was they broke soloing, sorta. They kind fixed it in that they made some dungeons easier to solo, which is fine. But then they made it so that some can only be played at the solo difficulty if you are by yourself. So that really removes some of the challenge that made some of the dungeons really fun.

But again that's more a nitpick then a problem and really only if you are of the soloing type. If you are into the group aspect then the game really shines as.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    After reading your initial posts about FW - I tried it out.

It isn't bad, easy enough to pick up - its a little grindy, but I like that. Art style is different enough for me not to be immediately bored of it like other WoW clones.

Oh, and you can move around in the world by clicking like in Guild Wars.
    edited June 2011
    ZenMode wrote:
    After reading your initial posts about FW - I tried it out.

It isn't bad, easy enough to pick up - its a little grindy, but I like that. Art style is different enough for me not to be immediately bored of it like other WoW clones.

Oh, and you can move around in the world by clicking like in Guild Wars.

EEECH, That was the first thing I turned OFF in guildwars.
    edited June 2011
    EEECH, That was the first thing I turned OFF in guildwars.

In cities? Its amazing /lazy
    edited June 2011
    Spacebar is king.
    edited June 2011
    In FW, you can simply click the name of a point of interest or NPC in your quest log, and be routed to it. I guess I should've been more specific.

I did something similar in GW by clicking an NPC in the distance, but in FW you can also accomplish this by clicking anywhere on the map, or using the NPC drop down included in the map interface.

I guess I wasn't referring to the "click on the ground to move" functionality, which is what I think you're referring to above. I hated that.
    edited June 2011
    ZenMode wrote:
    "click on the ground to move" functionality, which is what I think you're referring to above. I hated that.